First time DVC renter- questions!!!

khmoorefield

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We're new to renting DVC points, but we just had a reservation confirmed through DVC store for Beach Club Villas. Before we confirm (by Wednesday PM!) I wanted to run a few things by you experts to make sure everything works out. We're traveling with our 2 year old, so the whole no-cancellation thing scares me. We can get the point protection plan (which really only saves you any money if you cancel well in advance), but it looks like Travelguard travel insurance will be our best bet. I'm going to call them tomorrow to double check that timeshares are covered. DVC rentals are considered a timeshare, right?

A few other questions based on what I want to do:
- Once our reservation at Beach Club Villas is confirmed we will be set up with MyDisneyExperience. Will we be able to make FastPass+ reservations or is that only allowed once we've purchased our tickets?
- Going along with that, I'd like to purchase our tickets from a wholesaler (save $150!!) does anybody know if that would be included under insurance?

There's so much to think about and take into consideration, I'm just so afraid I'm going to miss something critical! Please let me know what you think of my plans and if it'll work out or if you have any good advice to offer. Thanks!!!

Yes, DVC is a (really great version of) a time share.

Truly, the insurance questions are best asked of the insurance company.

Once our reservation at Beach Club Villas is confirmed we will be set up with MyDisneyExperience. Will we be able to make FastPass+ reservations or is that only allowed once we've purchased our tickets?
You will able to make FP reservations at 60 days (before your resort reservation starts) AND you have purchased tickets and linked them to your MDE account. Purchasing tickets from Undercover Tourist is okay. They will provide you with a confirmation number that will be used to link your tickets to MDE.

Anyone has to have a ticket to make FP bookings. The resort just determines timeframe. BCV qualifies for 60 day advance.

But you gotta have a ticket.

You need to ask insurance if they cover total trip cost or just the timeshare booking.

Have you reviewed the information on the DVC Forums about renting points There is a lot to consider.
You will not receive daily Mousekeeping. Coffee, Toiletries and Towels are not replaced daily. For a 7 night stay or less, you will receive fresh towels and supply replenishment on day 4.

Just to be certain, you should be directing the 'will it be covered by insurance' towards the insurance company your choosing. Specifically, ask them what your asking here, insurance companies have so many in's and out's.

Also double check there are no Disney Direct promotions for your travel dates and room accommodations. We used to rent back when it was $10-$12 per point. Now they have exceeded $16-$17+ per point, and we've generally found a discount Disney Direct better than what DVC rentals were. The no cancellation part is pretty sticky, never bit us once, but it did for a party that was traveling with us. We rented probably 5-6 times in the past, all good experiences, just need to make sure everything falls in line for you.

Travelguard should cover the room. We buy it every trip and successfully used it during one vacation. Read the details of the coverage, it's pretty clear and makes no distinction as to the type of room. IMHO, it'd pretty comprehensive.

Otherwise, everyone has given you the downsides of renting points. The upside, for us, was getting Boardwalk Villas for $243 a night a couple years ago. About half price.

This is our first year travelling without any insurance. Time got away after we made the reservations, so I just didn't do it (and what could possibly go wrong flying to Florida during hurricane season). But if you read into different insurance packages, there is usually on option for all non-refundable charges, and it is based on dollar amount. I usually go through USAA and their cancel for any reason has to be within a certain timeframe of the booking date.

I hope your possible reservation will still be available 48 hours later. Many times villas are booked minutes later. I have no idea how they can hold a reservation for 48 hours.

Here is information about a DVC stay from the member website:
Laundry and Housekeeping Services

Disney Vacation Club Resorts offer laundry and housekeeping services. Daily housekeeping service is not provided for Members.
A 24-hour self-service laundry room is available at each Disney Vacation Club Resort. There are also dry-cleaning and valet laundry services. Villas with one or more bedrooms feature an in-unit washer and dryer.
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of 7 nights or fewer, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 4, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both.
With Trash & Towel Service, Housekeeping will:
  • Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins
  • Provide fresh bathroom linens
  • Replace bath amenities as needed
  • Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper
  • Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners
Full-Cleaning Service
For stays of 8 or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day 4 and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 8, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both. This cycle repeats for stays longer than 8 days.
With Full-Cleaning Service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:
  • Change the bed linens
  • Vacuum and dust the vacation villa
  • Clean the bathroom(s)
  • Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes
For all stays regardless of the length of the stay, daily trash removal will be provided. Rental Guests (non-Members or Disney Vacation Club Members not booking through Membership) receive Full-Cleaning Services every day.
For all of the above, additional Housekeeping Services may be purchased.
Additional Housekeeping Service Daily Rates
  • Deluxe Studio: $30 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $45 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $60 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $75 per day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Service Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $10 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $15 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $20 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $30 per day requested
Additional Amenity Requests
You’ll be provided with the following amenities at no extra charge at the start of your stay and during each Housekeeping service. These amenities can also be replenished upon request at no additional charge:
  • Coffee Package: Includes 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
  • Towel Package: Includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
  • Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2- and 3-Bedroom Villas): Includes 1 box for 1 load of laundry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter