First time DVC renter looking for advice

austinbrud

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

First time posting here but I've been reading through the forums for several years while planning various trips. This time around, I've decided to try renting points through a broker for 4 nights in a studio in September 2020. Looking at a BWV pool/garden view during F&W, I had a feeling it would be difficult but I went ahead and put in my request right at the 11 month mark. Almost three weeks later, I am still hoping for the best but no reservation so far. Knowing that only owners can secure a reservation for me prior to the 7 month mark, there is not much I can do but I am looking for some advice on this rental. Is it still early enough in the process to just wait and see what happens? Would I have better luck adding my second option of a savanna view at AKV? Are there any other tips or suggestions anyone can share?

September is the earliest part of what you’ve probably seen referred to as Fall Frenzy, and BWV is very popular during F&W time. So the longer you have to wait, the lower your chances of success even for a pool/garden view studio. Savanna view at AKL should be easier to book. So if you’d be just as happy at AKL, add that as a second choice.

A 1-bedroom at BWV would probably be easier too - they don’t book up as fast as studios do, so waiting for the broker to find an owner for you is less likely to mean that there won’t be availability by that time.

Depending on the broker you decided to use, some have more owners wanting to rent than others. The ones that charge you the most, probably pay the owners the most. If I'm an owner renting out my points, I'm going with the broker who pays me the most. At 11 months out, you need a BWV owner with points to rent. They may be looking to rent out more points than four nights in a studio as well.

I know at least one of the major brokers just increased their pay rate to owners for BWV and BCV for reservations next fall. I would expect the small brokers not to even be in the competition for those points, given that they tend to pay $11-12 to an owner.

I know at least one of the major brokers just increased their pay rate to owners for BWV and BCV for reservations next fall. I would expect the small brokers not to even be in the competition for those points, given that they tend to pay $11-12 to an owner.
Did they also bump up VGC year round? That is one offered way too low considering the options in the area (especially onsite hotels).

What broker are you using? Maybe try another first before you move to plan B?

We rented a studio at BWV right at 11 months that we stayed in a couple weeks ago, 6 nights. We used David’s and while we got the no member available email the morning our window opened, the reservation was made later that afternoon. Don’t know if that was luck or not.

What broker are you using? Maybe try another first before you move to plan B?

We rented a studio at BWV right at 11 months that we stayed in a couple weeks ago, 6 nights. We used David’s and while we got the no member available email the morning our window opened, the reservation was made later that afternoon. Don’t know if that was luck or not.
I'm using www.dvcrentalstore.com for this reservation. I heard a lot about David's and it was a toss-up between the two but David's required payment in full. However I would be paying slightly more at $19/point. I did consider trying out another broker but I didnt want to run the risk of having two reservations.

Also Thank you to everyone for the feedback so far. I think I am going to go ahead and list my second choice as well since they are both great resorts and I should probably be a little less picky.

Edited by Mod to substitute link for name of the broker. For more information, see: A word about DIS advertisers - Please post a link to any business you wish to mention

Last edited by a moderator:

I have rented my points that we going expire through Davids since I have not used any other service to rent my points i am not qualified to speak on whose service is the best. But I can tell you that I as an owner have had no issues obtain rental dates through Davids when they have contacted me about the availability of my points someone had done their homework. The location and rooms requested were available and were booked for the guest. In fact I have been so impressed with Davids that I recently had a situation where I though that I may need their services to rent points for a family member.

I don't think there can be a much higher recommendation then that.

To OP if you have been waiting a while to get your reservations through the agency of your choice, and it's not Davids I would give them a call and see if they can make your Disney Dream come true. It just simply may be a situation where the other company simply does not have the supply of owners who want to rent out their points that Davids does. You have nothing to lose. But I don't think you are going to find many owners/company's who would not require full payment at the time of booking for the points because it would be foolish to book points for someone (including family members) and not collect full payment. Owners have too much to lose example Your points are booked and then you decide that you don't want to go and the banking window for those points has closed? Then that owner either A: has to relist the points, B: make an unplanned trip to use they points they are going to lose C: Lose the points all together and the money they were expecting from the rental.

On the rental company side I believe that they would be required to make full compensation to the owner who points were rented and they would be left holding the bag on that one. As it would also damage their reputation with owners if they did not make good on it and as you know full well owners come on boards like this one and would post all about it. My advise buy trip insurance if its offered its cheap and it protects everyone including you that you could get your money back in the event you needed to cancel for a valid reason.

My 2 cents

As an update, several hours after adding AKV as my second choice my reservation had been secured for Jambo house. I was surprised given how long I had been waiting for my first choice. Just taking a guess....I wonder if the broker didnt have any owners at BWV or if owners prefer not to list points through a broker for what seems like a prime location for F&W? I did add trip insurance through a separate company as many have recommended just to make sure I'm covered.

More BWV owners buy their points to use them... especially during F & W... not rent them out. It's likely the rental company simply had no points from BWV owners or there were people ahead of you already waiting. Your dates also have to be available... after the 11 month mark, studios at Epcot resorts are scarcer than hen's teeth!

AKV has lots more owners... including me... so availability of points on the rental market would be better. You will have a fabulous time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!