First time: Disney World Vet: Dining Commendations

SPrattico84

Earning My Ears
Going to Disneyland for the first time in April. Staying on site at the Disneyland Hotel. Looking for suggestions on best can’t miss restaurants both in the parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney. When at Disney World I typically only do one sit down meal a day and eat mostly quick service. Two adults neither of us are picky eaters. Thanks for the help!

Our two favorite restaurants (not just Disney but overall favorites) are SH55 and Carthay Circle.
For the uniqueness is Blue Bayou as it literally IN POC ride.
In DtD Catal is good.
I have never been to Napa Rose but I hear it is fabulous as well.

Cathay Circle in DCA is a new favorite of ours. Blue Bayou for the ambiance. Steakhouse 55 and Trader Sams we loved when we stayed at the DLH. We also enjoyed the Uva bar in DTD.

I haven't been to Napa Rose in 5 years but I really enjoyed the chef's counter there.

I would consider doing your sit down meals at places that also get you an experience. So like Blue Bayou Fantasmic package (its not the best quality food but its so cool to eat in the ride and it gets you fantasmic seating). The Frozen package at Carthay Circle and the dessert party at for world of color. Agree with the previous poster that Trader Sams is not to be missed (its a bar that serves appetizers). I also love Bengal BBQ for quick service.

Carthay Circle and Lamplight Lounge in DCA. You’ll need reservations for both. Get the biscuits at Carthay and the carne asada roll at Lamplight. Also Trader Sam’s/Tangaroa Terrace right there at the Disneyland Hotel is fantastic—get the long beans. And the GCH Craftsman at the Grand Californian hotel is pretty great too—I highly recommend the salmon salad there if you’re looking for something lighter.

DLH has great dining options, and DLR in general has a fantastic variety of QS restaurants. Steakhouse 55 breakfast is a favorite, and we love Tangaroa Terrace which is the DLH QS.

DTD faves:
Earl’s next to DLH, Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express for breakfast burritos and beignets, and the new Asian Street Eats is on our to-try list.

DL:
Jolly Holiday, Rancho del Zocalo, Blue Bayou for the experience

DCA:
Flo’s for breakfast, Pacific Wharf Cafe, and Lamplight Lounge

Definitely check out menus either on the DL app or allears.net as tastes can differ greatly!

Going to Disneyland for the first time in April. Staying on site at the Disneyland Hotel. Looking for suggestions on best can’t miss restaurants both in the parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney. When at Disney World I typically only do one sit down meal a day and eat mostly quick service. Two adults neither of us are picky eaters. Thanks for the help!
Our favorite is Steakhouse 55 in the DLH. =) Never had a bad meal there.
I give a hearty second recommendation to SH55. :thumbsup2

I also typically try and shoot for Blue Bayou. At 11:30AM when it opens. Request a waterside table.

We never miss Tortilla Jo's in DTD and near the DLH.

For quick service, Jolly Holiday at DL. Don't miss Flo's V-8 Cafe at DCA CarsLand.

:wizard:

Last edited:
Napa Rose is as close to can't miss as you're likely to find on property at Disney. Expensive (like Steak house 55) but probably one of the better restaurants in Anaheim. It really depends on what you like to eat. I can find good steak a lot of places. I would look at the menu at Napa Rose and see if it appeals. If you really want to eat in the park, Carthay Circle is the same executive chef as Napa Rose. Blue Bayou is one of the more unique dining experiences anywhere because you can eat waterside inside of a ride. I'm leaving for the park tomorrow and we'll hit both Blue Bayou (but we'll probably share an entree and get a couple of deserts) and Napa Rose.

Blue Bayou is not really standout food, good, but nothing amazing, and the service can be rushed/harried, but I love the atmosphere.

There's also good ethnic food not far from the park for about 20% or less of the prices of the nicer Disney restaurants, so a little research and an Uber/cab can get you some nice meals.

We are also WDW veterans. When we went to DL we really liked Blue Bayou. It’s like eating at San Angel in Epcot. Do get there when it opens and ask for a waterside table.
We also liked Flo’s in Carsland.

At Disneyland Hotel: Steakhouse 55 and Trader Sams

At the Grand Californian: Napa Rose Chefs Counter, Napa Rose Lounge and Napa Rose Main dining room (in that order), Craftsman Bar

In Downtown Disney: Catal, Tortilla Jo’s, UVA Bar, La Brea Bakery

In Disneyland: Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans. Jolly Holiday

In California Adventure: Corn Dog Castle, Carthay Circle Lounge, Carthay Circle dining room, Lamplight Lounge, Ghiradelli Ice Cream

For S55, many people eat there for dinner, but we love it for breakfast! In DTD, Jazz Kitchen is fun, especially for live music and/or people watching from the patio. UVA Bar also has good people watching. NR lounge is very relaxing (and you can also get the full menu at the lounge tables and at the bar). CC lounge is very fun -- and the bartenders are super nice, too! There aren't many seats at the bar, but if you can sit there, do!

OP: Join the April Check-In **Official** to get updates and find out about what will be going on during your trip dates! Also see A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- great info for you here!

Last edited:
We ate at Blue Bayou in January and the ambiance is not worth the pricey bland food. I would definitely choose one of these other suggestions. I can’t really recommend a great TS restaurant, because the ones we’ve tried haven’t been great. However, Steakhouse 55, Carthay Circle, and Napa Rose are all highly recommended and on our list to try.

Quick Service:
Rancho de Zocala in DLP
Beignets and mint juleps at the Mint Julep Bar near the French Market.

Pacific Wharf and the Mexican place in DCA

Flo’s is fun for the atmosphere. The food isn’t gourmet, but we love the music and the 50s diner.

When in DL, I tend to go more for the experience than the food. Consequently -- Food at Blue Bayou is mediocre but nevertheless it's the ONE "must do" everytime we go to DL. It's all about the ambiance. Definitely ask for a waterside table. Even with a reservation you'll have to wait, but probably not more than 20 minutes.

We also like Flo's for the atmosphere, looking out over RSR. For a splurge, eating at the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose is awesome. One of the best meals I've ever had (and this time I am talking about the food), and I've eaten at a lot of upscale restaurants. DH and I also like to go to the bar in the middle of DTD walkway ... the name escapes me ... Uva Bar or something like that? They have good cocktails and every time I walk by it when I'm in DTD I just want to go because it's cool. :)

A lot of people recommend Carthay Circle, but I only like the bar there. The food is good at the restaurant, but the ambiance can be totally ruined by loud, misbehaving kids. Not that kids are any louder there than any other DL restaurant ... but it's beautifully decorated, quite expensive, and very "adult" looking place that just doesn't match up with having loud kids everywhere. As I said, I'm an ambiance person, and the kids don't bother me when I'm other places in DL, but If I'm going to spend that much $$ on an upscale restaurant with that kind of feel to it, I'll go to Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter