First time DCL. Going to Disney Dream! Many newbie questions!

Got it! A card stock and magnetic strips! :)

We are debating between Holiday Inn Express and Home wood suites. Home wood suites (right across from SeaWorld) are $65 more for 4 nights, but is a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen. It also has a shuttle to Disney World for free. Have you stayed at Home Wood suites by any chance?

Yes! We have our 'vacation list' for different vacations - cruise, WDW, backpacking, road trip, all-inclusive, etc. But I was wondering if we need more in DCL - like.. stateroom magnets!! - We also plan to bring DIY Autograph book too. :) And we always have our 'emergency kit' handy. I love them!
No sorry have not stayed there. We really liked the Holiday Inn express but the price of $65 seems really good.

No sorry have not stayed there. We really liked the Holiday Inn express but the price of $65 seems really good.

I mean the difference in price is $65 for 4 nights. But I will do more comparison. :)
Holiday Inn comes with something similar to Fastpass, I think.

Did you stay there to visit SeaWorld? I hear some stories about shuttle being not so efficient..

BTW, does anyone know if WDW magic band will also work at DCL?

Also, should I bring my own plastic mug - I don't know for what reason... But thought I'd ask..

BTW, does anyone know if WDW magic band will also work at DCL?

Also, should I bring my own plastic mug - I don't know for what reason... But thought I'd ask..
There are no Magic Band features on DCL.

People bring their personal cups - it's up to you. Be aware DCL prefers that you use one of their cups to fill yours.

1. How do you get to the Port from non-Disney hotels in Orlando?
- We are only 3 of us. and if possible, we'd prefer not renting a car.
- I see there are many shuttles from MCO and private transportation (which is too pricy for 3 people). Is there a shuttle from Orlando hotels? We are staying near SeaWorld. Shall we take Lynx 111 and get to MCO and then shuttle?
- If yes to shuttle, I found "Go Port" and it is about $15/person. Are they reliable? Yes. They have their own buses and we have used them our past 3 trips out of Orlando. Or shall we do Disney shuttle?
- What about Uber? Not sure what that cost would be.

2. Dress / Star Wars costumes
- My DD is turning 6 and she has tons of princess dresses and 1 Star Wars costume. She does not want to be a pirate.
Will other children dress up? Almost all the kids and some adults are dressed up. During pirate night, do other girls are pirates? Yes princesses? Yes. Can my DD be Rey from Star Wars? Yes, but I would suggest this any other night. She would stand out on pirate night, specifically.

3. What to pack?
- Are there any must pack items that you find that they don't have? Lots of threads for that. The "must have" items are all subjective, but as a generality, daywear and nightwear, swimsuits, medicines, band-aids, flip-flops, formal wear (if you have a formal night), tote bag for excursions.
- for example, lotion? Nah, DCL has nice lotion.

4. Stateroom decoration
- I saw the posting that people make their own decorations and put them on the stateroom door. Is this common? Pretty common. We did it for the first time, our last trip.

5. Birthday - whom to tell
- We'd like to celebrate our DD birthday (about 1.5 months earlier!). Who do I tell? DCL customer service can help you. Do I put them on DCL app?

6. PAT time
- the earliest PAT I can get is 12:30. Can we get there earlier? Yes, but you probably won't be able to get on the ship earlier. We'd like to be there around 11:30. Would that be too much of a wait? Nah, by the time you check in, and get through security, you would probably be close to your PAT. I heard there are some characters and etc.
- Shall we check occasionally to see if any earlier PAT becomes available?

7. Activities - sold out what to do?
- We just booked our cruise and it is less than a month away. Of course, many of the activities - like Frozen and Princesses are showing as sold out. What can we do? Keep on checking every now and then?

8. Anything needs to be booked in advance
- Is there anything that must be booked in advance that we are not aware of? Port adventures and on-ship activities should be booked ahead of time.

9. Adult only restaurant
- I see that it is $40. Is this per person? or per couple? Also, if we book it in advance, is this cancellable? Our DD may not want to stay at Oceaneer club for dinner, so we're not too sure. (BTW, she did not like kids club at RCCL. We left her 1 hour and it was a disaster.)

10. What are the extra costs?
- other than picture packages, gratuities, alcohols, shore excursions, souvenirs, some activities (bb boutique, etc). Anything are for extra costs? No hidden costs, if that's what you mean.
- If yes, is there a must-do's?

I mean the difference in price is $65 for 4 nights. But I will do more comparison. :)
Holiday Inn comes with something similar to Fastpass, I think.

Did you stay there to visit SeaWorld? I hear some stories about shuttle being not so efficient..
Ah ok makes more sense now but I've never stayed there so I had no idea what they were like. I know the Holiday Inn express was a great deal. I haven't been to Sea world since I was a kid. We stayed there to be close to Discovery Cove but no shuttles we had a rental.

There are no Magic Band features on DCL.

People bring their personal cups - it's up to you. Be aware DCL prefers that you use one of their cups to fill yours.

Thank you.

Do you mean, we use their cups and then pour it into our cup? We have a cup from WDW resort with a lid and thought it may work better for our DD.

1. How do you get to the Port from non-Disney hotels in Orlando?
- We are only 3 of us. and if possible, we'd prefer not renting a car.
- I see there are many shuttles from MCO and private transportation (which is too pricy for 3 people). Is there a shuttle from Orlando hotels? We are staying near SeaWorld. Shall we take Lynx 111 and get to MCO and then shuttle?
- If yes to shuttle, I found "Go Port" and it is about $15/person. Are they reliable? Yes. They have their own buses and we have used them our past 3 trips out of Orlando. Or shall we do Disney shuttle?
- What about Uber? Not sure what that cost would be.

2. Dress / Star Wars costumes
- My DD is turning 6 and she has tons of princess dresses and 1 Star Wars costume. She does not want to be a pirate.
Will other children dress up? Almost all the kids and some adults are dressed up. During pirate night, do other girls are pirates? Yes princesses? Yes. Can my DD be Rey from Star Wars? Yes, but I would suggest this any other night. She would stand out on pirate night, specifically.

3. What to pack?
- Are there any must pack items that you find that they don't have? Lots of threads for that. The "must have" items are all subjective, but as a generality, daywear and nightwear, swimsuits, medicines, band-aids, flip-flops, formal wear (if you have a formal night), tote bag for excursions.
- for example, lotion? Nah, DCL has nice lotion.

4. Stateroom decoration
- I saw the posting that people make their own decorations and put them on the stateroom door. Is this common? Pretty common. We did it for the first time, our last trip.

5. Birthday - whom to tell
- We'd like to celebrate our DD birthday (about 1.5 months earlier!). Who do I tell? DCL customer service can help you. Do I put them on DCL app?

6. PAT time
- the earliest PAT I can get is 12:30. Can we get there earlier? Yes, but you probably won't be able to get on the ship earlier. We'd like to be there around 11:30. Would that be too much of a wait? Nah, by the time you check in, and get through security, you would probably be close to your PAT. I heard there are some characters and etc.
- Shall we check occasionally to see if any earlier PAT becomes available?

7. Activities - sold out what to do?
- We just booked our cruise and it is less than a month away. Of course, many of the activities - like Frozen and Princesses are showing as sold out. What can we do? Keep on checking every now and then?

8. Anything needs to be booked in advance
- Is there anything that must be booked in advance that we are not aware of? Port adventures and on-ship activities should be booked ahead of time.

9. Adult only restaurant
- I see that it is $40. Is this per person? or per couple? Also, if we book it in advance, is this cancellable? Our DD may not want to stay at Oceaneer club for dinner, so we're not too sure. (BTW, she did not like kids club at RCCL. We left her 1 hour and it was a disaster.)

10. What are the extra costs?
- other than picture packages, gratuities, alcohols, shore excursions, souvenirs, some activities (bb boutique, etc). Anything are for extra costs? No hidden costs, if that's what you mean.
- If yes, is there a must-do's?
Thank you for your help!

1. For GOPORT - did you book them in advance? Is there a specific departure time? I am going to inquire, but thought I'd ask you first, if you don't mind :)

2. You suggest wearing Princess dresses not Rey on Pirate night, right?

Thank you!

Ah ok makes more sense now but I've never stayed there so I had no idea what they were like. I know the Holiday Inn express was a great deal. I haven't been to Sea world since I was a kid. We stayed there to be close to Discovery Cove but no shuttles we had a rental.

I am just really curious. So you stayed at Holiday Inn and visited WDW then?

Thank you for your help!

1. For GOPORT - did you book them in advance? Is there a specific departure time? I am going to inquire, but thought I'd ask you first, if you don't mind :)

2. You suggest wearing Princess dresses not Rey on Pirate night, right?

Thank you!

1. Yes, we always booked in advance. They also have snooze and cruise packages that includes your hotel and transportation to and from MCO/PC. Depending on where they are picking you up from, will determine your departure time.

2. I suggest pirate princess on pirate night. Princess and Rey costumes are usually worn any other night and no one will blink an eye. Many kids dress up, every night.

1. Yes, we always booked in advance. They also have snooze and cruise packages that includes your hotel and transportation to and from MCO/PC. Depending on where they are picking you up from, will determine your departure time.

2. I suggest pirate princess on pirate night. Princess and Rey costumes are usually worn any other night and no one will blink an eye. Many kids dress up, every night.

Thank you. I will see what I can do. :-)

Oh okay. My DD doesn't want to be pirate at all. Maybe I will have her dress as Minnie mouse and have her wear pirate bandana.
I was told that Disney provides bandana?

Thank you. I will see what I can do. :-)

Oh okay. My DD doesn't want to be pirate at all. Maybe I will have her dress as Minnie mouse and have her wear pirate bandana.
I was told that Disney provides bandana?
Correct. Disney provides a red Mickey bandana.

May I ask why you prefer brunch over dinner?

Yes. That's what we plan to do. I really hope she likes it!!
And why do we need to let club counselor know?

We prefer brunch b/c we don't miss any of the main restaurants for supper.

Let the club counselors know that you are going to Palo. I've read that if they know you are at Palo and your DD gets antsy and wants to leave, they will distract her and encourage her to want to stay so you can enjoy Palo.

We actually.. might not check any bags. If it's small (less than 100ml), I can still carry them with me, right?
Yes... but considering how much sunscreen we go through, we'd max out our carry on liquids...and probably spend far more buying the tiny bottles. We signed up for the free first year of the AA credit card to get the bonus and the free bags for this reason. Even so, I'd rather pay $25 to check a bag than pay $30 per bottle of sunscreen. (I don't know what they charge on the boat; I just know what the resort hotel I was at last spring was charging.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter