First Time Cruising ...need help

kelly radebaugh

Earning My Ears
Hello, This will be my families first time ever going on a cruise. We've always done disney world but are excited to try a new adventure. I have a few ( ok maybe more than a few) questions that I haven't been able to find answers for and would appreciate any help or advice! We will be sailing on the Magic April 25th 2018 4 night bahamian cruise out of Miami with an 8 year old ( with autism) and a 5 year old.
1) embarkation day: My 8 year old with mild autism struggles with long waits. What time do you recommend getting to the port? Being our first time will all the good port arrival times be gone when I go to sign up?
2) along that same line, how likely is it that the excursions, frozen meet and greet, and Palo will be booked up before we cruise?
3) I can't find the pool/slide hours anywhere. Does anyone know what time the slides are open on embarkation day and then what hour they open in the mornings? Does this differ day to day or is it always the same? Our goal is to do the slides first thing in the morning to avoid long lines since those are very challenging for my son.
4) Does anyone have past personal navigators from this particular cruise( I could only find ones from 2013 on the disney cruise line blog) and do the navigators stay mostly the same for each cruise that has the same itinerary or does that always vary?
5) When we booked the cruise the only available dining time was 8:15. My boys wake up between 4:30 and 6 every single day( no matter how late they go to bed) so Im concerned with late dining (although the kids club option sounds lovely for my husband and I to relax at the end of the meal if the kids aren't in meltdown mode by then!) What are the chances of getting the dining time changed or any experience with younger kiddos at the late seating?
6) any tips for the character meets? How early should we arrive before a character meet so we are not in a long line?
7) On our key west day we are planning to stay on the ship most of the day. Will the slides, pool and kids club be open? My husband and I are hoping to get the boys on the slides with short lines and then have some time for us to relax while they are in the oceaneer lab.
8) any other tips and advice is much appreciated!

Sorry for the long list of questions and thanks a million for any help!

Hello, This will be my families first time ever going on a cruise. We've always done disney world but are excited to try a new adventure. I have a few ( ok maybe more than a few) questions that I haven't been able to find answers for and would appreciate any help or advice! We will be sailing on the Magic April 25th 2018 4 night bahamian cruise out of Miami with an 8 year old ( with autism) and a 5 year old.
1) embarkation day: My 8 year old with mild autism struggles with long waits. What time do you recommend getting to the port? Being our first time will all the good port arrival times be gone when I go to sign up?
2) along that same line, how likely is it that the excursions, frozen meet and greet, and Palo will be booked up before we cruise?
3) I can't find the pool/slide hours anywhere. Does anyone know what time the slides are open on embarkation day and then what hour they open in the mornings? Does this differ day to day or is it always the same? Our goal is to do the slides first thing in the morning to avoid long lines since those are very challenging for my son.
4) Does anyone have past personal navigators from this particular cruise( I could only find ones from 2013 on the disney cruise line blog) and do the navigators stay mostly the same for each cruise that has the same itinerary or does that always vary?
5) When we booked the cruise the only available dining time was 8:15. My boys wake up between 4:30 and 6 every single day( no matter how late they go to bed) so Im concerned with late dining (although the kids club option sounds lovely for my husband and I to relax at the end of the meal if the kids aren't in meltdown mode by then!) What are the chances of getting the dining time changed or any experience with younger kiddos at the late seating?
6) any tips for the character meets? How early should we arrive before a character meet so we are not in a long line?
7) On our key west day we are planning to stay on the ship most of the day. Will the slides, pool and kids club be open? My husband and I are hoping to get the boys on the slides with short lines and then have some time for us to relax while they are in the oceaneer lab.

1) Arriving around 12:15-12:30 is a good time. The lines for check in are not long, and, usually, you can board right away after checking in.
2) Hard to say. Could be. Or not. Check once onboard for added times, if necessary.
3) & 4) You can find Navigators here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ Pool hours are listed on that. And, generally, cruises don't vary that much. That said, there could be (and probably will be) differences.
5) Call DCL and ask to be placed on the wait list for early dining. I think mentioning the autism issue might help. Then check back frequently to "confirm" you're still on the wait list. If it hasn't come through by the time you board, go to where the dining changes are being handled (it'll be listed in the Navigator) and make the request again.
6) Not sure, but I've read that some people arrive 15-20 minutes before the scheduled time.
7) Yes, the slides, pool, and kid's clubs will be open on a port day.

Tip: On a Disney Cruise (and many others) at dinner they will seat you with another family.
Many people have had a great experience with this as Disney does a great job of matching children of the same age.
If you feel this will be too stressful for your child (or you lol) you can call Disney and request to be seated alone.

You're going to love cruising! I noticed you had a question about Palos. Just so you know, they reserve 50% of the reservations for booking on board (I just confirmed this with Disney yesterday). So that means that even if it's already "booked" on your electronic Disney reservation page, you will be able to book on board (we've done this MANY times).

On our cruise this time (February- Fantasy) we have late dining. We've never had late dining before but you should know that there are PLENTY of dining options all through the day. You could be eating right up to dinner time, so don't worry about that. Also, room service is free (for the VAST majority of items), so if you need to take a break and relax while you have a bite to eat to tie you over, you could always do that. We LOVE the cheese and crackers platter while we sit on the verandah. The kids are fed when they're at the clubs for dinner too, so you don't need to be worrying about them.

The slides are open when you arrive, so I always have my kids wear their bathing suits under their clothing so they can just jump right in...no need to change! Don't forget, your luggage may not be delivered to your room for quite a while after you board.

Also, when you board, you are announced ("Disney Cruise Line welcomes the _____ family. Applause applause), so have your phone ready to video. Such a special moment. And don't miss the sail away party!

One of my favourite things to do is to wake up early and go for a walk/jog on deck 4 and enjoy the early morning sun. Then I run to the Cove and grab a fancy coffee. All this happens just as the rest of the passengers are getting up. Such a peaceful time.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your family time!

I just wanted to add that another great time to do the slides is in the evening if you want to skip any of the shows, etc.

I agree with the PP’s suggestion to arrive around 12:30 - very little wait, and what may be more important, very little crowds by then. It gets very crowded in the terminal before boarding begins; even though the earliest PAT is 10:30-10:45, boarding won’t start until 11:15 or 11:30am.

And another tip: the muster drill is very crowded and very loud. Very loud. If noise is an issue, be sure to have him wear earmuffs before the muster drill even starts. You can speak to the CM at you muster station, who may allow him to be excused a few minutes early. But depending on the location, it can be hot and crowded and noisy. Prepare him ahead of time.

Enjoy your cruise!

And ...;)
The lines in the terminal are long until 12:30-12:45. By this time you can check in and walk on.
if your kids don’t like to wear their bathing suits under their clothes just bring a small day bag( you can’t get into your cabin until 1:30 and luggage isn’t delivered until 4:00 or later)so they can change onboard.
Tip: the bathrooms by the pool get very crowded with people changing but there are lots and lots of restrooms on other decks. Find one close by change and then head to the pool.

Lunch the first day. Tritons restaurant will be open as a table service restaurant. This is less hectic but may take a little longer.
Cabanas is a buffet and is crazy busy. If you eat here I suggest finding a table first ( they like to give you a tray as you walk in the door) get the kids drinks and get settled before getting in line for food.
Or the quick service places on the pool deck will be open.

Elevators: yikes!! They are very crowded!! People push and shove into them:(. Avoid the mid ship elevators use the forward or aft ones. Or take the stairs when ever possible

Last edited:

1. Get a port arrival time that is as early as possible (it's okay if you can't get a super early one), and bring electronics or another distraction for your child who struggles with waits. The first reason is that you want to go to dining changes as soon as they open (typically around 1pm), so that you can request to be switched to main dining if that request doesn't come through before the cruise. On-cruise requests for main dining (which is very popular) are granted on a first-come, first-serve basis. (We love late dining, btw, so don't feel too bad if you can't get early dining.) The second reason to arrive early is that the very shortest waits for the Aqua Dunk are upon embarkation.

2. They will probably be available (they were for my latest cruise & I only booked 45 days out), but to be on the safe side, log in and check as soon as your activities window opens.

3. Bring swimsuits in your shoulder bag, and change in the bathroom after boarding (your room won't be open yet). Enjoy the Aqua Dunk with almost no line. This is the only time you'll experience that. The lines will be fairly long on sea days. It helps that the Aqua Dunk is just a bit scary, so fewer kids want to ride it than the Aqua Duck.

4. They won't be exactly the same, but general trends and patterns tend to hold. I wouldn't look at a 2013 Navigator. Instead I'd look at more recent Navigators for Magic sailings of the same length.

5. See #1.

6. 15 minutes.

7. They'll be open, but might open later than on a sea day.

8. Tip: Don't expect the kids to want to spend much time hanging out at the kids' clubs. They might, but might not. Too many parents assume their kids will want to hang out there for hours on end, and are disappointed when their kids would rather not spend more than an hour at a time there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts