First time cruisers ensured to be "Allured"?? -April 2019 TR

pattyw

DIS Veteran
Ahoy all fellow cruisers!!

First, let me introduce myself and my DH. I'm Patty-accountant by day. My DH, Joe, is a maintenance supervisor. We share the joy of traveling! Orlando has always been a preferred destination for our family! Disney was our first love. Universal has now captivated our hearts as well.

thumbnail_IMG_5326.jpg

Cruises have never appealed to us. Maybe it was the idea of being on a ship out at sea with no way off!:eek:or because there were no rides like a theme park? will we get sick? :sick: will we find enough to do?? Let's just stay on land!!!!

Well, our friends, avid cruisers, have long touted the advantages of cruising! While reluctant at first, we agreed to join them on a cruise.

We were to set off on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 4/14-4/21/19. We booked the cruise in October 2018 so there was plenty of time to research cruising. or chicken out!!!

Well- we didn't chicken out!:thumbsup2

We did it!:cheer2:

We loved it!!:goodvibes

Stay tuned for all of the details!!:)

I clicked on the link in your signature and like magic here I am!

Cant wait to read all about it!

So, our first step when booking was deciding on what type of room. I've heard how very small cruise ship rooms are and was a little (ok, A LOT) scared! Can you say claustrophobia?? :scared1: We decided on an ocean view balcony room. Even if small on the inside, we'd have a nice view and a balcony to enjoy!:thumbsup2

Also, I needed to be sure I could have internet access.

So, I was very interested in the new Key program. Internet access for both of us and some nice, extra perks!

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive and special amenities during their cruise vacation:

• Priority check-in and boarding*
  • Exclusive carry-on luggage service with stateroom delivery**
  • Private lunch at Chops Grille®, Jamie’s Italian, or Giovanni’s Table on embarkation day (Venues vary by ship)
  • Private hours on marquee activities*** like FlowRider, Rock Climbing wall, Ripcord by iFly. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in.
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • VIP seating area at Main theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70 shows
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream (1 Device per each paying guest)
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

And ahh.... the drink package?? Yes, please! ::yes:: No need to worry about any beverages- ALL included with the package!

So...

Room booked
Drink package purchased
Key package booked

We're ready to go, go go!!:cool1:

So, during the planning process, I received an e-mail from RC about bidding up for an upgraded room! I decided to put in a bid for a deluxe oceanview balcony room as well as a junior suite. As time passed, I heard nothing back about the bid. But voila! 3 days prior to boarding I received an e-mail that our Royal Up bid was accepted!!! for a Junior suite!!! :cheer2:

We did online check in and received a check in time of 2:00pm-2:30pm. Our DS is going to medical school in Miami so we were able to spend a couple of days visiting him pre-cruise and he was able to be our transportation to the cruise terminal in Miami!

We had our luggage tags on our bags, dropped them off with a baggage handler and were off to Terminal A!! This terminal is run very efficiently! We sped through the check in process! Our check in person informed us that sadly we missed our Key lunch! It ended at 1:30 pm. I informed her that our online check in said to arrive at 2:00 and not to arrive early. She shook her head and said- " I don't know why they tell people that." Ugh- one of the reasons I purchased the Key was for a leisurely sit down lunch at a premium restaurant!

Caveat #1 about the Key- you don't get much information about the benefits and the timing thereof! We didn't get any special online check in information telling us that the Key lunch is from 11:30am -1:30pm.
So, if you purchase the Key- show up at the Cruise terminal with ample time to board and enjoy your lunch!

We were ushered off to board the ship! We stopped briefly for the picture!

thumbnail_Attachment-1 (1).jpg

We were anxious to go to our room!! We boarded by 2:00 pm so we just took our carry-ons and proceeded directly to our room.
Junior Suite room 7672!

thumbnail_IMG_5835 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5836 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5837 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5834.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5838.jpg

We were blown away by the size of this room!!

The bathroom: It was so roomy and had a lot of storage spaces for all of our toiletries!

thumbnail_IMG_5833.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5832.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6185.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6187.jpg

Storage area under the sink:

thumbnail_IMG_6188.jpg

More towels :

thumbnail_IMG_6190.jpg

Shelves on the side of the sink:

thumbnail_IMG_6191.jpg

Hooks on the door:

thumbnail_IMG_6192.jpg

The fridge:
thumbnail_IMG_5840.jpg

The storage closet with safe:

thumbnail_IMG_5841.jpg

And I think our favorite part of the room: the walk-in closet!!

thumbnail_IMG_6209.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6212.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6213.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6211.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6210.jpg

So much storage space!! It was wonderful to have all of our bags out of the way and room to hang our clothes!!

Yes it was definitely a splurge to bid up to the Junior suite. I would definitely say that if you are the early up, out for excursions, etc. type, that the price of a suite would not be worth it.

Joe and I however, were in the sleep in, enjoy the peacefulness of our room, and not do excursions mode! So, for us, it was definitely worth it to have a big room with amenities we could enjoy!! :thumbsup2 We had been so busy at work before the cruise and our friends being avid cruisers- were not interested in excursions, either. So, we were happy to enjoy the boat and its amenities as well as visit with our friends!:)

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report. We got on the Allure the day you got off!

Now that's an interesting and detailed review! Can't wait to see the rest of it.

I booked The Key for our first RCCL cruise (coming in October) so thank you for the info on the Chop's Grill lunch ending at 1:30 PM. We'll make sure to board as early as possible.

Thanks for doing a review and sharing pictures. I got the email about the bidding for a larger room and ignored it as we do not spend much time in our room ( we have an ocean balcony booked), but seeing that large tub/shower may make it worth it. The shower in the balcony room we had last year was so small, you banged your elbows just washing you hair.

o, during the planning process, I received an e-mail from RC about bidding up for an upgraded room! I decided to put in a bid for a deluxe oceanview balcony room as well as a junior suite. As time passed, I heard nothing back about the bid. But voila! 3 days prior to boarding I received an e-mail that our Royal Up bid was accepted!!! for a Junior suite!!! :cheer2:

Since it was so close to sail date, did you get new luggage tags with the new cabin number?

cant blame you for going YOLO and getting the upgrade. Outside of the tub/shower (hate them on cruise ships) it seems pretty nice.

Yes- for this cruise, it was worth it for us. If we do another cruise and take advantage of excursions, a regular room would be fine! I agree- I'd rather have just a shower. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter