First Time Cruiser

We did the 3-night for first (and second) cruises. For the times of year we were looking, the 4-night cruises did not have a schedule we liked since it required more vacation days off of work (3-nights were over a weekend whereas 4-nights were all week). We also wanted to try something less expensive to see if we liked it or not. Honestly, I have no idea why people say 3 days is too short. We relaxed instantly from the moment we arrived on our ship in our beautiful stateroom, looking out at the ocean. We stayed on board on Nassau day because the excursions were either expensive or didn't appeal to us, so we enjoyed the ship then. I don't feel like we missed out on anything. I went to activities, did the rainforest room at the spa, used the pool/splash zone for a bit, saw the shows, met some characters, went to pirate night, and still felt like I had time to just chill with a cocktail and decompress. My kids loved the clubs and spent a lot of time there when they weren't doing family activities or mid-ship detective agency with me. Castaway Cay day is bliss and I would go on a longer cruise if I could spend more time there, but the cruises that go to castaway cay twice are too expensive, and back-to-back shorter cruises sounds a bit repetitive to me.

And, I DID have motion sickness. BAD motion sickness. I have never had trouble on small boats but the slow rolling motion of the larger ship did me in. I learned it was very important for me to be mid-ship as I felt the motion so much more when I was forward or aft. I also bought some of the "sea bands" on the ship and they helped. And I was VERY glad we booked the 3 day because the fact that the ship was docked every day at port meant I was only affected by motion sickness at night.

The first DCL cruise I did with my parents and sister was 3 nights - the tail end of a family vacation to celebrate our parents' 45th anniversary. (Our first cruise was when I was in 6th grade and we went on the Emerald Seas - I don't remember how long it was...5 or 7 nights I think. Next up was the DCL cruise). Like others, we knew we couldn't do it all and didn't even try.

Next up for me was a 4-night, then a 7-night, and then in 2016 a 4-night again. The 4-night did feel shorter, but I put a lot of that on having done 2 7-night Alaska cruises (HAL and RCCL), a 12-night Med (RCCL), and a 7-night Cuba (fathom) between my last DCL and the 4-night Magic.

And while my choice is pretty much always going to be longer, I've learned that even on a 12-night I can't do it all, and that I'd rather be on a cruise of pretty much any length than an exclusively land-based vacation.

We started with a split vacation: 2 1/2 days at Universal Studios and a 3 night Magic cruise with a sea day and a Castaway Cay day. We liked it enough that the next big vacation was a 7 night. No right/wrong answer.

Our first DCL cruise was just a two-nighter and it was way too short! Our second was four nights, which was better than 2, but still left us wanting more. We are looking forward to 7 days on the Wonder this April. I think a week will be our sweet spot! You'll have a great time regardless, but if you can swing longer it's better.

When talking about cruising there is only to ways to look at it from a first timer point of view , either you will love it or you will hate it there is no in between. With that being said doing a cruise for the first time with other family members a 4 nite is a good trial run. Doing a 7 nite and if it would turn out that cruising is not for you or someone in the family 7 nites could seem like a long time back to port. As for combating sea sickness we start taking Bonine 2 days before the cruise starts and continue taking while on the cruise. Seemed to work well, the only thing we needed to get used to as first timers was the first day/nite walking the hallways.
Just my opinion

Personally a 4 night cruise would be the shortest I go on. 3 nights feel so rushed to me, and right as I set into full vacation mode its over! So I would say if you're nervous about how you or any children might react to the ship, 4 nights is a safe bet. Usually on the shorter itineraries the first night is the roughest, and after that is smooth sailing. Of course every cruise is different, but for the most part that seems to be the case.Ideally now I don't go on anything less than 7 nights, because we truly love the experience and 7 nights almost seems like not enough! We are taking a 4 night in Jan due to a busy work schedule next year!

We have done 10+ Disney cruises and I have only felt ill twice. This is coming from someone who cant stand on moving docks at the lake, small boats, etc. I cant do wave pools and most of the time I cant get in the ocean at the beach because I get sick.. its pretty bad. However we have had two terrible days at sea where crew members were also getting sick. On the first cruises I took bonine the night before getting on the ship and continued throughout the sailing. That kept me feeling great. I don't take anything anymore unless I feel ill. Bonine has very few side effects but it does make me drowsy (which is why I take it right before bed each night!)

We were first timers this July and went for a 3-night in the Bahamas (well, ready Castaway Cay and two sea days). It was way too short IMO but at least it was enough for my boyfriend to find out he doesn't enjoy cruising. Or at least that's what he said back then but he's wised up since we got back to reality and now wishes he were there at least once a week so who knows. Bottom line, 3 days is very short but it's an easy way to know whether or not cruising is for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter