First time camping at FW...have a few questions...

ZJ5/9D47

Mouseketeer
I've decided to take advantage of the low prices in August and camp for the first time at Fort Wilderness in ~ 3 weeks.

A few questions I haven't been able to find answers to and would greatly appreciate any advice...

1. How bad are the food-seeking critters? I will only have a tent (no car) to lock up any food I have. Will critters chew through my tent? Is unopened food in plastic safe? I would like to take some granola-type bars, oatmeal, jerky, etc. ...nothing to be cooked.

2. I read that the tent pads are being turned into gravel. Are the tent/pop-up loops still sand and/or will be in 3 weeks? I don't want to bring ineffective stakes for my tent.

3. How are early/late arrivals/departures handled for fliers needing to get from their tent site to the check-in area? Is there an internal bus that runs super early in the morning?

TIA!

I will do what I can. We are going to be there in August as well. Checking in on the 12th (I think)

1. Critters will come around. You are best advised to keep them in a sealed hard cooler. DO NOT trust Ziploc bags. If they can smell the food in your tent, they will get into your tent. I haven't tent camped at the fort, but this is based on numerous other tent camping outings in the past. Fortunately, you don't have to deal too much with the bears at the fort. Mostly small critters (Squirrels, Raccoons, etc..)

2. Got no clue about this. Haven't been on the boards in a while and even when I am, I am not on for very long.

3. You can (generally) check-in as early or late as you like. Doesn't mean your site will be ready (for early check-in) or that you will get a discount (for late check-in). Buses will run for about an hour or so before the parks open and for several hours after they close. Usually this is not an issue for most folks.

Hope your trip is a great one. Maybe we will see you when we get there too. :)

The tent pads are a mix of shell and sand. From what I've read they were switching out the pads in the non tent loops so far. Not sure if they'll switch out the tent loops.

I'm not sure how early the internal loops buses start but they have to start a little while before parks and Trails End opens. I think I started hearing them at 6am when we were there in Feb but they could have started earlier.

I bed you could keep your food in your suitcase in a pinch but something hard sided would be best.

Read very recently about Pads in the 1600 loop being changed to a g ravel mix. Then this week the 1500 loop has been closed for refurbishment but no info what is taking place yet.
Have to echo Peg's recommendation about a hard sided cooler to protect food. If the critters in The Fort can smell it they will redistribute among themselves

Definitely agree about critters. I had squirrels chew through my handmade stroller bags (two layers of canvas) to get to snacks that were in the packaging inside. It happened while it was parked outside the camper during rest time in the middle of the day!

My sister and I flew in and tent camped last August for a couple nights....never again in August, too hot:crazy2:... but it was an adventure! Good luck!:thumbsup2

We had a golf cart rented first night, so just picked it up at check in and drove to site with all our luggage. Then did not have the cart for check out, so we packed up all our stuff and called front desk, they sent a nice guy in a van to pick us up and transport to front so we didn’t have to take internal buses with all our luggage.

Thanks everyone for your advice and stories! I wish I could fit a hard-sided cooler in my suitcase but hopefully the smell-proof bags I bought will work. If not, I will have some amusing but likely embarrassing photos to share with everyone!

We are going to be there in August as well. Checking in on the 12th (I think)
Maybe we will see you when we get there too. :)

I will be checking in on the 12th too! If you see someone in a long grey skirt...that will likely be me. Looks like we will be avoiding any hurricanes or extended rains. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!