First time at WDW since 2012 & w/ my kids

Dd1wifey

Earning My Ears
Very excited to start planning what could be a short trip to Florida in June. My last trip to WDW was my own make-a-wish trip as a teenager. 11 years later I have a family of my own and would like to return! I have a 2-year-old who will still be 2 next June and a baby who will be 1 by then. I'm thinking of going the first week of June as my husband only has June off. He has never been to WDW, but we both are DLR savvy. I know how to navigate DL with my eyes closed and know when and what rides to go on during peak season. Needless to say, I know 0 about Florida's parks. Now with my kids, I would like to prioritize MK as I'm sure Fantasyland will be a hit for my older daughter. She also loves Mickey Mouse, so I'm looking for any advice on what show we could watch. She is, however, sensitive to some sounds, etc.; I'm sure it's related to a certain disability diagnosis we are working on with her doctor.
1. Are there loud sounds we can avoid or be aware of?
2. I am trying to stay under 2K, so with getawaytoday, we can realistically afford an off-site good neighbor hotel. I saw some have free shuttles. Does that mean we are outside the actual park area? How long does it take for shuttles to get to the park entrance (I'm looking at Springhill lake buena vista)? How do we tell them which park we want to go to? I am very confused.
If we'd only go to MK and AK, are we ok with just not getting a park hopper? I don't see us park hopping with a 2-year-old and 14 month old. Thinking about 2 days of parks with 4-day total stay ( arrival and departure days).
3. I'm very worried about my oldest being scared inside the dark rides at fantasyland. How can we test this out?
4. What are the lines like? I'm trying to rope drop but not sure that's possible staying offsite? How long do you usually take from hotel shuttle to MK entrance?
5. WHat is security like? I'm used to doing exactly like at TSA at DLR.
6. PLanning to take double stroller from home, any tips?
7. Do we need to rent a car if we stay at Springhill ?

Thanks everyone! We'd be taking a 2.5-3 hr hr plane ride to get to Orlando. We are used to the humidity and heat.

Last edited:
How exciting!! I'll start by addressing #2. The WDW resort area is massive, and only a few hotels are "walkable" to any one park. I'm sure in your research you've come across labels like "Magic Kingdom resorts" and "Epcot resorts," which are resorts in proximity to these parks, which basically just means these parks are slightly more easily accessible--by monorail or skyline or walking--since they do not require use of the WDW busses. Off-site resorts with shuttles will access Epcot, DHS, and AK using the main bus area which is in the vicinity of the WDW resort busses. However, at Magic Kingdom you will get dropped at the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC) which requires an additional journey either by ferry or monorail to MK. This alone can add 20+ minutes to your total travel time depending on timing. (Note that the same is true for driving or Ubering into MK). WDW resort busses roll right up to MK and skip the TTC. Aside from this, I believe every off-site hotel has a different park schedule so perhaps someone who has stayed at this specific hotel can provide input on going from hotel to parks.

For rope drop, WDW resort guests get early entry 30 minutes prior to park opening each day. I believe they hold off-site guests at the turnstiles before official park opening, but they lines can get quite long and it's recommended to get there 20-30 minutes before opening to be at the front of the line.

Security is easy enough. You walk through the scanners with your bags and items and if it goes off your possessions get searched. You'll learn quickly enough what sets them off (sunglasses cases, portable charges, metal water bottles). Strollers are a little bit of a different story, so hopefully someone else can address that.

For loud sounds, fireworks or nighttime performances are a given. I'm bringing my infant in November and we're getting those ear protectors for him in case we make it to the evening shows. It can really be sensory overload in the parks with the background sounds, music, people, smells, and sights. There are definitely some relatively quiet areas, like upstairs at Pinocchio Village Haus or the animal trails at AK, and you can search around disboards for recommendations.

I apologize I can't answer your other questions, but I have been scouring Youtube for recommendations on how to prepare a stroller for a Disney day and there are many, many videos packed with tips!

Hi there, I am so happy you are going again. Just wanted to add that my last trip was 2012 as well! and I am planning again too.

How exciting!! I'll start by addressing #2. The WDW resort area is massive, and only a few hotels are "walkable" to any one park. I'm sure in your research you've come across labels like "Magic Kingdom resorts" and "Epcot resorts," which are resorts in proximity to these parks, which basically just means these parks are slightly more easily accessible--by monorail or skyline or walking--since they do not require use of the WDW busses. Off-site resorts with shuttles will access Epcot, DHS, and AK using the main bus area which is in the vicinity of the WDW resort busses. However, at Magic Kingdom you will get dropped at the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC) which requires an additional journey either by ferry or monorail to MK. This alone can add 20+ minutes to your total travel time depending on timing. (Note that the same is true for driving or Ubering into MK). WDW resort busses roll right up to MK and skip the TTC. Aside from this, I believe every off-site hotel has a different park schedule so perhaps someone who has stayed at this specific hotel can provide input on going from hotel to parks.

For rope drop, WDW resort guests get early entry 30 minutes prior to park opening each day. I believe they hold off-site guests at the turnstiles before official park opening, but they lines can get quite long and it's recommended to get there 20-30 minutes before opening to be at the front of the line.

Security is easy enough. You walk through the scanners with your bags and items and if it goes off your possessions get searched. You'll learn quickly enough what sets them off (sunglasses cases, portable charges, metal water bottles). Strollers are a little bit of a different story, so hopefully someone else can address that.

For loud sounds, fireworks or nighttime performances are a given. I'm bringing my infant in November and we're getting those ear protectors for him in case we make it to the evening shows. It can really be sensory overload in the parks with the background sounds, music, people, smells, and sights. There are definitely some relatively quiet areas, like upstairs at Pinocchio Village Haus or the animal trails at AK, and you can search around disboards for recommendations.

I apologize I can't answer your other questions, but I have been scouring Youtube for recommendations on how to prepare a stroller for a Disney day and there are many, many videos packed with tips!
I took your advice and found an on-site hotel for value price: All-star Movies. It says it's close to AK. How do you go from that Resort to MK? I saw a youtube video where there's a line you queue at for a bus, however the bus supposedly goes to other resorts too. The video did not include the time the buses starting coming too. Where can I find this information reliably? I feel it's important to know these details before I book the the whole stay within the next day or two so I can realistically plan the trip with two littles who may have trouble waking in the morning.
Does the All-star resort also have early entry ?

I took your advice and found an on-site hotel for value price: All-star Movies. It says it's close to AK. How do you go from that Resort to MK? I saw a youtube video where there's a line you queue at for a bus, however the bus supposedly goes to other resorts too. The video did not include the time the buses starting coming too. Where can I find this information reliably? I feel it's important to know these details before I book the the whole stay within the next day or two so I can realistically plan the trip with two littles who may have trouble waking in the morning.
Does the All-star resort also have early entry ?

All Star Movies will have its own bus for the most part, occasionally they will share with the other All-Star resorts which are close in proximity during mid-day when it isn't as busy. Buses start at least an hour prior to park open and run continuously; the bus queues are clearly marked as to which theme park they service.

Yes ASM is an onsite resort so it will have all the benefits of onsite.

A double stroller is fine but there are size restrictions, the WDW FAQ's will have the dimension. Keep in mind the stroller will have to be folded to bring on the bus so if you have one that is lightweight and easy to handle that will make thing easier.

All Star Movies will have its own bus for the most part, occasionally they will share with the other All-Star resorts which are close in proximity during mid-day when it isn't as busy. Buses start at least an hour prior to park open and run continuously; the bus queues are clearly marked as to which theme park they service.

Yes ASM is an onsite resort so it will have all the benefits of onsite.

A double stroller is fine but there are size restrictions, the WDW FAQ's will have the dimension. Keep in mind the stroller will have to be folded to bring on the bus so if you have one that is lightweight and easy to handle that will make thing easier.
Wow thank you so much for that advice. I'll head over to the FAQs thread and write imp stuff down.

What are other things I should plan out for? I had read recently that there's no more transportation from MCO. What has everyone been doing when you need carseats for children?

Wow thank you so much for that advice. I'll head over to the FAQs thread and write imp stuff down.

What are other things I should plan out for? I had read recently that there's no more transportation from MCO. What has everyone been doing when you need carseats for children?
if your transportation is a bus from MCO to your resort you will not need carseats. that is also true on the buses to the parks

Awesome! I've just checked flights and the cost for 3 tickets is more than half of the whole stay! Does anyone know if this is just because I'm looking more than 7 months out? I usually book airline tickets around 3 months out. It's absurd

I am trying to stay under 2K

I've just checked flights and the cost for 3 tickets is more than half of the whole stay

Is $2K your all-in budget? Please don't get me wrong, but you may want to postpone until you have a larger budget. Be sure you are taking into account:
  • flights
  • ground transportation (from/to MCO as well as to/from parks)
  • hotel or resort
  • meals (check menus for prices)
  • tickets
  • souvenirs
  • miscellaneous expenses
That's just the basics. Research what are your "must-do" activities and set expectations accordingly. With little ones, you presumably will not have ability to do rope-drop to park-close, which most of us don't do anyway. But you mention waking your little ones up in the morning may be hard -- as I recall with that age, it's best to go with the flow and not try to force a schedule change (or risk tantrums and meltdowns), and you'll be dealing with a time difference as well. WDW is huge and you probably want to do all 4 parks; keep in mind that even with a full week there nobody can do "everything."

Nothing is walkable at WDW unless you budget for a deluxe resort in the MK or EPCOT area. Even from onsite resorts everything else will require transportation -- WDW bus, boat, monorail, skyliner. If you are used to DL this is probably one of the biggest differences. WDW transportation begins approx. 1 hour prior to opening; offsite transportation will vary and you should check with the specific hotel(s). Onsite resorts offer convenience, but if you are on a budget an offsite hotel may be the best bang for your buck. It really all comes down to your priorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter