First Time at Disneyland - Help!

Missouri Girl

Wife, Mom, Entrepreneur, Lover of Life
Ok, folks, I need help! We are going to make our first trip to Disneyland sometime during the week of Christmas. Terrible timing, but we are visiting my son and daughter-in-law for the holidays and this is the only chance we will have to go. We know the crowds will be at capacity and this is certainly not my first choice but we have decided to embrace the opportunity to see this park and make the best of it. We've been to Disney World 5 times and I'm a pro at avoiding crowds and lines there, but I am out of my element here. We have adjusted our expectations and know we won't get to see everything, although we do plan to get there very early. That said, I do have a few specific questions and I knew this was the place to ask!

1. My son is active duty military and we will be using his discount to purchase tickets. Is there a discount for a single day admission? We plan to purchase park hoppers so we can see both parks.

2. If the best deal is a multi-day admission, do we need to use the days consecutively? We won't be there over one day this trip but we are going back out next year.

3. Recommmendations on eating in the park? Should we just do counter service and try to see everything as much as possible or should I try to get a reservation at a must-see table service place? If so, what are your favorites?

This is part of the Christmas present for the kids, and we are really looking forward to seeing it, especially at Christmas. I should add that I used to frequent the boards (mostly lurker mode) but it's been so long I can't remember my login info and had to create a new one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. If the best deal is a multi-day admission, do we need to use the days consecutively? We won't be there over one day this trip but we are going back out next year.

You don’t have to use the days on your tickets consecutively, but your tickets will expire LONG before next year.

I do not know anything about military discounts except they exist. I hope you are able to get that.

It sounds like you will only have a single day. If it were me I would go counter service to save time. There is a recent poll on this forum you can look at but the winner for counter service (last I checked) was Plaza Inn (which I voted for and apparently many others).

A second good option is Jolly Holiday Bakery.

Be aware that you can save considerable time at some restaurants by ordering in advance using the DLR app.

Also, consider getting MaxPass as it will help you maximize your limited time.

:wizard:

• From what I've seen with the military discount tickets, your son will have to be there to show his valid Military ID. He will scan in first, then everyone else will scan in after him.
  • Download the DL app. Load in a credit card for maxpass and mobile ordering. Also if possible, scan your tickets in there. Learn how to use the app, and where to locate information on it. DL's app is much more extensive than the WDW one.
  • The wifi sucks, if you have data, use that.
  • Make dining reservations..depending on the type of capacity closure there is, they will let you back into the parks if you have dining reservations.
  • Start at rope drop, it really does help.
  • Have a general idea of what rides you want to do so you can prioritize fastpass/maxpass for them.
  • Most importantly: HAVE FUN :):)

The military discount offer expires 12/19. There are no military discounts offered again until Jan 1, 2019. You will have to pay full price for your tickets, so go ahead and buy them ahead of time online or via the app to save time rather than standing in a ticket line. Multi day tickets expire 13 days after first use. Plan to purchase Max Pass as an add on. It's invaluable. If you are only there one day, I'd recommend a park hopper and do open to close.

Stick to counter service, and use mobile order via the app to save time. My recommendations are Jolly Holiday Bakery, Rancho del Zocalo, and Bengal BBQ in Disneyland and Flo's V8 Cafe, Corn Dog castle, and Pacific Wharf Cafe at DCA. Also, Downtown Disney has some great options. Napolini is a great option for QS made to order Neapolitan pizzas, and a STEAL at around $7 each! There are also food booths at DCA for festival of Holidays so plenty of good choices there too.

• Make dining reservations..depending on the type of capacity closure there is, they will let you back into the parks if you have dining reservations...
Be aware that this doesn't always work. As the pp stated it all depends on the type of gate closure in effect. If the Fire Marshall has closed the gates to everyone, then no one, not no how, can get in until enough people have left the parks first. And make sure to have your Priority Seating reservation confirmation number handy -- sometimes the CM at the gates will ask for it as proof that you do have a valid PS reservation. (We have seen guests who could not provide a confirmation number and whose names were not on the list be turned away at the gates.)
Also, read this thread for very helpful information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions! I'm very slow in responding, but i read each suggestion and appreciated them all. We were able to purchase discounted tickets on base. We arrived very early (we were the 5th car through the gate) and started at California Adventure, then moved onto Disneyland. We rode all major attractions (and most of the minor attractions, too) at both parks and saw everything we wanted to see. It was an amazing day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter