First time at AKV

Sandisw

DVC Forums
After returning home from my February trip, I realized I needed to get back before August...we had a really mild winter in Syracuse, and didn't need all of our snow days so we ended up with a nice 5 day weekend.

Of course, I realized it was the perfect opportunity to do another trip to the happiest place on Earth. When I booked in March, the only thing available for the whole time was SSR and I booked it. This was an unplanned trip, with borrowed points, so I wait listed a Standard View at AKV...make a long story short, by checking daily, I ended up getting all 4 nights here at Jambo House.

As ya'all know..BLT is it for me, with BWV close behind, but am realizing that a trip to the world is better than none (wouldn't have said that before being a DVC member...LOL) so here I am.

I was all set to even try the bus system--like BLT and BWV for the walking aspect--but just couldn't do it and at 10:30 Wednesday night, rented a car and have to say, am happy that I did.

We arrived last night at around 8:00 pm--its just me and my DD 19. A nice mother/daughter trip. We get to our room and we have one of the partial Savannah rooms that was converted. I know some say they don't like it but my DD is in heaven. We have had giraffes outside the balcony the entire time!!! Nice view for Standard points!!!

The resort is amazing and beautiful. Since this trip is more about the resort and less about the parks it is relaxing. Spent the day at the pool which is really nice--with just a break to go to lunch at the Poly (which is where having a car came in mighty handy).

While I will say I miss my BLT and BWV, I can see staying here again and I know my DD has found a new favorite.

Okay, off to get ready for a night at Epcot--a walk around the world with a margarita in my hand!!!

Sounds like a great time! Glad your daughter gets to see the giraffes - they are my favorite ;)

Sounds like you're having an amazing time! Makes me pretty excited for my first stay at Jambo in October!

We've gone back and forth on the car issue. The problem is we're planning to end up at the Food and Wine Festival so many evenings, neither of us wanted to worry about staying sober to drive. So, for this moment at least, we're planning to give the Disney bus system a shot (which we've never done).

As ya'all know..BLT is it for me, with BWV close behind, but am realizing that a trip to the world is better than none (wouldn't have said that before being a DVC member...LOL) so here I am.

Sounds like fun and sounds like a post I would do. :banana:
Glad to hear your favorites are BLT and BWV because I'll do them both in 3 weeks. :)

Okay, off to get ready for a night at Epcot--a walk around the world with a margarita in my hand!!!

You know how to do EPCOT right ! :hippie:

Last night, my trip to Epcot was eventful. For some reason, there was a major traffic jam and it took me 45 minutes to get to Epcot from AKV. Not sure if it had to do with the fires that shut down I4 or not, but it was a good thing the tank was full...lol

Of course, the buses were stuck in the same line so no one was getting there quickly and made me realize why I llike being at BWV and BLT so much--only thing that prevents me from getting to the parks is my own two feet!!!

Once there, I headed over to see if Soarin was out of fast passes--figured they would be as it was already 7:00 pm and sure enough, they were gone so I did my 2nd favorite ride there, Figment!

I then headed to Mexico for my oh so yummy margarita and it did not disappoint. It was so nice just walking around and watching people and the sights. I love it when I overhear the "first timers", especially the little kids and how magical it is for them. Makes me love the place even more.

As I head around the world, I realized it was dinner time and should eat something and as I looked up, I found myself in front of Germany and the chocoalte shop--what goes better with a margarita than a chocolate and carmel covered pineapple--yup, that was dinner! Life couldn't get much better!

After my stroll around the world, I hit some of the shops, including Mousegears and then headed back to the resort. By this time, it was 10:00 and decided to make an early night of it.

Today, I spent another relaxing day at the resort, working-I am an online instructor for SUNY Oswego and we just started the summer session (which is a quick 6 weeks) so working this trip was not optional. I am liking the wireless and it works very well on the balcony.

My DD decided to head to Epcot by herself while I worked and had a great time. We then decided to head to HS for dinner--she wanted one of the bugers from Backlot Express and to do more shopping...one of the things I love about visiting and being DVC is you just don't care what gets down at the park--we checked out the waits at TOT and RNR and they were too long for our liking and didn't worry about it.

This is the first trip where I have not opened the parks and rope drop and have to say, not missing it!!! Really like this going to the parks at night--we always visit in August when its hot and humid so the difference in weather now , while subtle, is nice.

Tomorrow, we go for mother/daughter massages at the fitness center and can't wait--DVC discount is wonderful and then heading to AK for lunch at Tusker House and then will be spending the whole afternoon at the pool before going to MK for the night--open until 1:00 am!!

Turning out to be a very relaxing and wonderful trip!!! Loving DVC more than I ever thought I could!!!!

So glad you are enjoying my "home away from home". We did a grand villa there last Memorial Day week with all of our kids and grandkids and loved it. I am taking my grandaughter for an August trip and staying for the 1st time at BCV but DH and I are going back to AKV Kidani for the Flower Festival next spring. Enjoy!!

Well, sad to say, we are back home and its back to school for me tomorrow.

It was a wonderful and relaxing trip. I have never had a massage before but came home and told DH that it will now be my WDW/DVC treat each trip! DD enjoyed it as well.

After our massages on Sunday, we did head out to AK for lunch at Tusker House. It was hot and a bit crowded so we headed right there, no rides. When we were done, we contemplated hitting Kali because it was so hot but ended up just heading back to the pool.

Wow...the ride by car from AK to the lodge is so quick that I was at the pool in no time. Definitely know that if we stay there again, having a car is a must!!!

However, when it was time to go to MK for our final night, we opted to do the bus since there was a threat of rain and its not easy doing the whole TTC transfer, etc. Waited about 20 minutes while we watched 3 AK, 2 Epcot, 2 HS and 2 DTD buses come and go...really made me miss my BLT at that point!!

We decided to hit a few of our favorites--Buzz, Small World, and Splash--and opted for CS meal instead of another sit down. We FP's Buzz and waited for the other two. The wait for Splash said 50 minutes but it didnt' look like it would be that long so we got in line--with just the 2 of us and no DH to complain, we thought we'd give it a shot.

As we were waiting, a mom comes up to us and asks if we wouldn't mind letting her 8 year old come on the ride with us because she doesn't do them and he really wanted to do it--being a teacher and my DD loving kids, we said sure! Didn't even think about the fact that she could have waited with us and then just climbed straight through or think to give her my cell phone #.

As we were waiting, the ride breaks down!!! And, we are in the middle of the cave so not easy to exit. We told the little boy we would give it 15 minutes but then head out so his mom would not worry--just as we were getting ready to exit, it fixed. By the time we got on and rode it was an hour and 10 minutes. When we exited, I could see his mom and the look of relief on her face as she saw us. Definitely added some excitement to the trip.

On that note, DD and I decided it was time to shop and headed to Main Street to get a few things. It made for relaxing end to the night. As we headed for the bus, we saw it was there and without even running, we made it on.

We had a 12:30 pm flight yesterday so didn't have a lot of time. I got up early to get boarding passes and drop off luggage and then got a coffee and relaxed by the pool--last minute sun!

The drop off of the car was easy--first time I have done this myself--and no delays from the storm--about 10 minutes in--when we were near Jacksonville, we hit major stuff and the plane actually dropped it bit--enough to make me scream out a bit--DD thought it was funny--me, not so much--but the rest of the flight was smooth.

All I can say is that this was a new Disney/DVC trip for me--I experienced things I have never done before and the biggest thing I learned is that being a DVC member allows you to enjoy WDW for much more than the parks themselves....I still walk in to MK and get that "Wow...I love it here" feeling but not having to see it all and do it all in a few days makes it one of the happiest places on Earth...only 67 days until I return!!!

Sandi, thank you so much for posting about your magical trip. I really enjoyed reading it as it reminds me of how much I am greatly anticipating our upcoming trip, we are doing a split stay AKV and SSR. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter