first stay at POR

A1A1

DIS Veteran
Twenty days and counting:bounce: until our first stay at POR. What are the must do's at this resort? I have read that the landscaping is magnificent. Are there tours of the resort? I also heard there was a carriage ride? Any musts at the food court or restaurant? Also what is the more beautiful section of the resort. I am looking to do things that don't cost too much money, and to have other things lined up in case the crowds in parks are really bad. I wondered about swimming in December. Anyone know?:Pinkbounc :wave:

we prefer boatwright's to the food court at POR. breakfast there is one of the best we have found. we have stayed in both sections and like the alligator bayou better; it has a secluded feeling. we were in building 15 which was a great location--close to the "backdoor" to the foodcourt and the first bus stop. it is/was a non-smoking building. as far as the carriage ride, could you be thinking of the one at fort wilderness? these are nightly and resevations are needed. the cost is $30/30 minutes. we are doing this when we are in wdw just next week!:p

Don't forget they have fishing! At Boatwrights restaurant the 'crazy cajun banana stuffed french toast' is excellent. All the meals we had at this restaurant were good. The lounge has a piano player. We stayed in Aligator Bayou but walked around the Mansions, they are beautiful. Have a great time! We are going back to POR this Jan. we loved it so much.

What are the must do's at this resort?
I'm not sure that there are many "must do's" at POR. While there are plenty of amenities (a nice theme pool, several quiet pools, an arcade, surrey bike rentals, a nice food court, a pretty good lounge, and a better-than-average "general store" for supplies and general browsing), I think one of the attractions of POR is the laid-back beauty of the place. As a frequent guest there over the last few years, I have fond memories of quiet late-evening strolls down POR's (or Dixie Landings as it still is in my heart) beautiful winding walkways with my wife, possibly making a trip to the food court for a late-night cookie or ice-cream cone, and/or a refill on our POR mugs. OK, so most of those trips included our three kids, so I may be overstating the "quiet" part! :D But nonetheless, we think it is truly a wonderful, beautiful, and relaxing place.

If the weather is nice, I would recommend taking the boat ride down the Sassagoula River to Downtown Disney. Even if you don't want to spend an evening at "Once Upon a Toy" or "The World of Disney", the boat ride is a fine diversion in itself on a nice evening.

we prefer boatwright's to the food court
I will second Disney Queen's recommendation for Boatwright's. While I have never had their breakfast, my family and I do try to eat there for dinner at least once per trip, and have always enjoyed our meal. If you haven't yet, you might want to check out their menus on Deb's WDW Information Guide:

Boatwright's Breakfast Menu

Boatwright's Dinner Menu

Boatwright's Children's Menu

Have a wonderful stay at Dixie Landings, er, I mean, POR!:earsboy:

I stayed at PO-FQ a few weeks ago and really fell in love with the place. If I were you, I would definitely stop & smell the roses and really enjoy the beauty of the place. Also, think about checking out Bob Jackson's show at Riverside. My daughter & I had a lot of fun at it.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Thank you. I am so looking forward to this trip. I have wanted to stay at this resort for a while. Now I have the opportunity, and can't wait!!!!!!!!!

For those that didn't post where they stayed, would you mind indicating which section of the resort you stayed, and if you prefer it now, after having stayed there, to the other section? Would you change to the other section?:wave: (I love this little waving guy)

Bring a couple of 100-watt light blubs - if you are staying in the Aligator Bayou area, the rooms are very very dark!

...would you mind indicating which section of the resort you stayed, and if you prefer it now, after having stayed
We have stayed in the Mansions two or three times, and in Alligator Bayou at least four times. We always state a preference for Alligator Bayou. The rooms are equally nice, but I prefer the atmosphere of the AB section with its winding pathways and rustic-look buildings. But both sections are nice, and we are always happy to arrive at our room in either case! :earsboy:

I really like this resort. I have stayed in AB section twice, Mansions once. Both areas are nice, look at some of the pics on Deb Wills site to see which area is most like you. I like to spend a few hours each trip at a quiet pool, short visit to main pool, usually very crowded, but the pina coladas are good at the poolside bar.:)
I recomend the boat ride to Downtown Disney, I liked the ride in the dark, but would like to try it during daylight hours.
Don't forget to try the beingets (sp?) in the food court. The chicken soup was very good too. Breakfast at Boatrights was good, stuffed french toast similar to Poly's.
:D
Renting bikes looks like fun, nice path down to POFQ. We have walked this, but if you have time you might like to ride. Smaller boat runs between two resorts, the pool at POFQ is fun for kids.

Just remember that preferences are not guarantees! No one knows that better than me at POR. I've stayed there 5 times, in each of the Mansions then once in AB. After 3 mansion trips, I requested AB and was so excited to try it. Well, of course, at check in I got another Mansion, at least it was the one I hadn't tried yet. But I was so disappointed and went around with a long face for about an hour since I didn't get AB(at least I was solo so I didn't bum out anyone else). Finally I started perking up and soon figured out that it was the most beautiful Mansion-probably my favorite location! Magnolia Terrace. BTW, got AB next trip and although I think it's a more convenient location, Magnolia Terrace is still the prettiest.

We just got back from PO-R on Monday. We just loved it. We had stayed for 2 nights at AB, this time we requested and got the mansions, Parterre Place. It was just lovely. We had a water view (a view of the Sassagoula River). So peaceful. You can walk over to PO-FQ, or take the shuttle boat (or do one one way and the other the other way). You can take a boat (after 4) to Downtown Disney. We ate breakfast and dinner once each at the Food Court, and 2 breakfasts at Boatwrights. Obviously the sit-down restaurant is a better quality, but the food court was fine too. We had the croissant breakfast sandwiches which were yummy (probably about 2,000 calories). And for the dinner we just had burger for me, quesadilla for my dh, his quesadilla looked great, and the burger was nicely done too. The fishing caught my eye too when we were walking around, I'm not a fisherman, but I could see myself trying it there. It was a little cool for us to use the pool, we're not big pool people anyway. But it looked really nice, nice pool bar. Any specific questions, just let me know.

AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! The more I read, the more excited I get. Now, I am wondering if you have to pay extra for a waterview????

I didn't request it. Is it necessary??? How bad is the parking lot view. Places like AKL, you can't even see the parking lot, because of all the landscaping. Contemporary though, all you see are cars, cars, cars everywhere if you get that parkinglot view.

October 2002 trip we had a corner room AB, non water view. There is such nice landscaping here, right out side our door was a pond with a cute little bridge. You do pay extra for water view, but you might get lucky and get an upgrade. I wouldn't personally pay extra for view, the whole resort is so beautiful. You do not have a private balcony, people walk by your window so you tend to keep blinds pulled down for privacy alot. Have fun.

Originally posted by Janet2k
I stayed at PO-FQ a few weeks ago and really fell in love with the place.

I fell in love with this resort as well. I like how it's not so spread out. All buildings are close to each other and the landscape is great.

Steven

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter