First Solo Trip - How many days?

Hi all......I totally disappeared for a bit! Got super busy with my daughter who is graduating from high school on Tuesday! She had so much going as her senior year came to an end which meant I had a lot to do! really enjoyed reading about everyone's trips and I'm thinking that a 6 day / 5 night trip will be perfect for my first solo trip. I was already considering a Sunday - Thursday. Not sure if I will do it on my actual 50th birthday. I might choose to do it just around that time because my wedding anniversary is the day before so I guess I have to spend that with the disney hating hubby, lol.

My first solo trip was almost 2 weeks but 3 of those days were for a friends wedding at BW so I guess 10 days were actually solo and 3 were wedding.

My second trip was 8 days and I wish I had a couple more days.

My 2018 trip will likely be close to 2 weeks as I want to do the MNSSHP, MVMCP and the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. So much easier to do all of that when I don't have my family with me.

I'd love to take a four day solo trip in August but feel bad about leaving the family behind. I floated the idea with the kids this morning and dd, 7 said, "Why would you want to do that?"

I have a coupon for air and a pass for four days, points for dvc. Still feel guilty about wanting this though. Wish I could just tell the family outright that I'm going.

This December trip will be my second trip to WDW totally solo. I have been with my son in his late teens, which is almost like going solo! :)

This time I am going to begin my trip with 4 nights staying at Universal and partaking in "the dark side" as well as seeing blue man group (something I have always wanted to do). Then moving to my timeshare resort (offsite) for the next seven nights and taking in DISNEY!

This last trip with my sisters we did three Parks in one day, so this time I plan to hit all 4 parks in one day. Also planning one day to resort hop and enjoy the Christmas decorations. Looking forward to that too.

Enjoy your trip and you will have to let us know what you thought about doing Disney solo.

I think my favorite part of it is being able to slow down and take in things you have never discovered before.. off the beaten path so to speak.

I'm also planning a solo birthday trip for the end of October 2018. I'm heading from the UK so will need to come for a week to even make it worth it. I say go for it and take time for you. There should be new areas of HS open by then, right? Lots of new things to check out and there will be no rushing around, just taking the time to appreciate everything around you.

I'm thinking of taking my very first solo trip for my birthday in October 2018. I'm thinking of doing 5 nights (Sun-Thurs), with 4 or 5 day park hopper. I am wondering if this might be too long for my first solo trip? I am not sure if I will start to feel lonely by the 3rd or 4th day. I've never traveled solo but I'd like to give it a shot. My daughter will be away at college by then and my husband isn't a Disney person.

How long was your first solo trip? How did it go? Thanks in advance. :)
I know this was a while ago when you posted but I HAD to reply because I felt the same way: I booked my first solo trip last February for 5 days and was really worried that the excitement would die down after 3 days and I'd be super lonely but I never once felt that way. On my last day, I was kicking myself for not booking a longer trip.

I'm also planning a solo birthday trip for the end of October 2018. I'm heading from the UK so will need to come for a week to even make it worth it. I say go for it and take time for you. There should be new areas of HS open by then, right? Lots of new things to check out and there will be no rushing around, just taking the time to appreciate everything around you.
I'm doing the same - coming from Colorado, not the UK. Celebrating a significant birthday, booked seven days during F&W festival. Nervous and excited. I've never spent my birthday alone before - my daughters hope to be in various stages of pregnancy and can't commit to a trip at that time of year. It will be different, but all of life is a celebration. I had planned to walk the Camino de Santiago at that time, new job prevents me from taking two months off to do so...so I should be alright for a week on my own as I was planning a 6 week trek across Spain solo!
Happy Early Birthday to you!

I know this was a while ago when you posted but I HAD to reply because I felt the same way: I booked my first solo trip last February for 5 days and was really worried that the excitement would die down after 3 days and I'd be super lonely but I never once felt that way. On my last day, I was kicking myself for not booking a longer trip.
I know this thread is old but any updates, OP? I'm going to do my first "long" solo trip in November. Apurrazz, that's how I've felt after my solo trips which are usually 4 days long. I'm going to try for 7-8 days at the end of November! I'm also worried that I'll start to get bored or lonely, but this past Christmas I felt like I didn't get to do everything I wanted, so naturally I should stay longer, right?

I know this thread is old but any updates, OP? I'm going to do my first "long" solo trip in November. Apurrazz, that's how I've felt after my solo trips which are usually 4 days long. I'm going to try for 7-8 days at the end of November! I'm also worried that I'll start to get bored or lonely, but this past Christmas I felt like I didn't get to do everything I wanted, so naturally I should stay longer, right?

When I've done solo, I usually go 4-5 days, but last year circumstances increased it to 9 days, kind of at the last minute. I had the initial reaction as you, that it would get boring. Wrong. With the longer trip, I kind of stretched things out...didn't concern myself with rushing to the park in the morning (I'm not a rope drop guy anyway), didn't feel I needed to close the park at night, took a day to go to Kennedy Space Center, etc. In the end, I really enjoyed it and even with that amount of time, I had the feeling I had more to do and wouldn't have minded a couple extra days.

When I've done solo, I usually go 4-5 days, but last year circumstances increased it to 9 days, kind of at the last minute. I had the initial reaction as you, that it would get boring. Wrong. With the longer trip, I kind of stretched things out...didn't concern myself with rushing to the park in the morning (I'm not a rope drop guy anyway), didn't feel I needed to close the park at night, took a day to go to Kennedy Space Center, etc. In the end, I really enjoyed it and even with that amount of time, I had the feeling I had more to do and wouldn't have minded a couple extra days.
That's a good point, it just occurred to me that I could do a day at Universal! I haven't been in 5 years, since before they opened the second half of their Harry Potter stuff. I'll be running the Space Coast Marathon (hopefully lol) the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and then spending the rest of the week at Disney. So I may do the space center the day before the race, a few Disney days, a universal break in the middle, and then more Disney!

I am the wrong person to ask. Last year I went on a 4 night Disney cruise first then spent 2 weeks at WDW. I always stay over a week. I go during the F&WF and there are a lot of the events that I enjoy going to. I never get bored.

I'd love to take a four day solo trip in August but feel bad about leaving the family behind. I floated the idea with the kids this morning and dd, 7 said, "Why would you want to do that?"

I have a coupon for air and a pass for four days, points for dvc. Still feel guilty about wanting this though. Wish I could just tell the family outright that I'm going.

Don't feel guilty! You are still your own person with your likes and dislikes. Your kids will be just fine, trust me. Plus no man has ever felt guilty when they went off on their golf/fishing/hunting(or whatever they do) trips, I can guarantee you that.

I'm quickly learning that if I don't take time for myself, my kids suffer. So, take the time and do something for you! I think a solo trip sounds amazing and once my kids are older, I'm taking myself to Disney! I can't imagine what it would be like to stroll the World Showcase without whining and a stroller. :laughing::confused3

Yes. longer is better. I just added a day onto my 7 night Disney solo extravaganza and I'm thinking of adding another three days prior to spend a few days at Cocoa Beach and a day at Universal.

Dawn

I am hoping to do 4 nights/5 days at Boardwalk in March 2019 with most of my time being spent at Epcot enjoying F&G. I have done adult trips without my kids and felt no guilt, so that won't bother me. I brought it up to my husband the other day when I decided that I wanted to do it and his reaction was "You'll get mugged." Apparently there is a lot of mugging going on at Disney and they only target the Solos! :rotfl2: I would actually love for him to come with me but he hates Disney, so it would end up being not fun for either of us. I have awesome visions of just strolling along through Epcot, at my own pace, one of those orange slushy things from France (that I say I am going to get every trip but never actually do) in my hand and just taking in the sights. Perfection!!

I am hoping to do 4 nights/5 days at Boardwalk in March 2019 with most of my time being spent at Epcot enjoying F&G. I have done adult trips without my kids and felt no guilt, so that won't bother me. I brought it up to my husband the other day when I decided that I wanted to do it and his reaction was "You'll get mugged." Apparently there is a lot of mugging going on at Disney and they only target the Solos! :rotfl2: I would actually love for him to come with me but he hates Disney, so it would end up being not fun for either of us. I have awesome visions of just strolling along through Epcot, at my own pace, one of those orange slushy things from France (that I say I am going to get every trip but never actually do) in my hand and just taking in the sights. Perfection!!
I'm 30 years old and my parents were still worried about me going alone... this being the SECOND time! Telling me not to stay out late and to be careful..... :rotfl:

Disney is the one place I feel comfortable going alone. I took a trip up to Pennsylvania Amish country by myself in my car from TX. Was going to ride up the Blue Ridge parkway and was looking at places to stay on the parkway. Then I decided I had seen too many episodes of Criminal Minds. LOL So I got a place in a city off the Parkway

Disney is the one place I feel comfortable going alone. I took a trip up to Pennsylvania Amish country by myself in my car from TX. Was going to ride up the Blue Ridge parkway and was looking at places to stay on the parkway. Then I decided I had seen too many episodes of Criminal Minds. LOL So I got a place in a city off the Parkway
Haha! Once I began living solo a few years ago, I stopped watching all of those shows!

Dawn

WELL.. I've done Paris and London on my own before, and I live in Manchester which is a city and commute to work and Uni, but I am doing Bunac Work America in a country club in NY state/new london area (Fishers Island) then we get 30 days of travel so im going to Disney

Hey everyone! It makes me so happy to see this thread still popping!!! I really appreciate everyone's insight. I am super excited after reading all of this to do a solo trip.

I do have a few updates. Life has been a bit unsettling. I have not booked my solo trip yet and I'm not sure I'll be able to take one for my birthday in October. Turns out, I was unexpectedly let go from my job in February. It was completely out of the blue and I'd never in my life been fired from a job! My boss called me at home on a Sunday and let me go. I'd left my previous job of 9 years for this one and I was only there for 7 months. Once I started the new job, I started feeling like I'd made a big mistake. It seemed like a great move at the time with room for advancement. There was nowhere to move up at my previous job although I did love it. I felt the desire to do more and that wasn't going to happen at my old job so I took the leap. And now this..........

Back in September, I booked a trip for my DD18's 1st college spring break for March 3-9. I almost cancelled the trip after losing my job because I realized how much I could do with the refund. However, my DD has been having a tough time adjusting to college. Her grades are great and not a problem at all. She made the dean's list for the fall semester but she's having trouble socially. I'd scheduled all of these great surprises for her such as EMM, HEA dessert party, the frozen dessert party, fantasmic VIP and dessert package and a royal guest room at POR. We'd never done any extras on previous trips. My husband encouraged me to take the trip to cheer me up after my job loss and to give our daughter a nice break. We did it last week and it was awesome except for a little cold weather.

Now my solo trip is on hold. I did interview for a new job on Monday and should hear back on Thursday or Friday. I also have a phone interview for another job tomorrow, but calls are not coming in as fast as I'd like. If I am gainfully employed soon and I can take the time off, I still plan to make the trip. I'm considering staying at either POP or Shades of Green for 5 days with 3 or 4 park days. Please send lots of pixie dust for a job soon. Thanks so much for listening.......I haven't really told anyone about this job thing. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter