First RIV resale contract sold for?

I agree. Again, those that are DVC members already who have points for stays elsewhere, once they get a chance to stay at RIV, May decide to purchase a resale there based on experience.

I am working hard to convince my DH to let me add 100 more point at BLT, specifically to book and stay there for my year.y Dec trips. While it will have trading power, I will be using it like it’s restricted. So I can see someone who feels like this about RIV once it’s open paying a little more to have those points.

There's still a very big difference between that BLT contract and Riviera resale though. Yes, you will be consciously choosing to use it like it's restricted.....but it's not and you know it's not. You will always have options at other resorts should you have some need to adjust the trip later. Riviera? Those resale buyers are stuck with no option at other resorts.

There's still a very big difference between that BLT contract and Riviera resale though. Yes, you will be consciously choosing to use it like it's restricted.....but it's not and you know it's not. You will always have options at other resorts should you have some need to adjust the trip later. Riviera? Those resale buyers are stuck with no option at other resorts.

Oh, I get that it’s not the same. What I was trying to allude to is I could see someone buying RIV contract...a current owner...because they fell in love with the resort and wanted it only for that resort...because they already had points that were not,

Once the resort is open and people experience, they may just feel about RIV as I do about BLT and willing to buy given the restriction. What I do think is that this type of buyer will be in the minority...just saying that until the resort is open, it could imPact the pool of buyers willing to purchase, it will either encourage or discourage based on experience there.

I think the people who want RIV are buying direct now. I think resale purchases will fall into two major categories: current owners who love it there and want to add on at a slight discount; and bargain hunters. Those in the first group will clearly be willing to pay more than the latter, and that will be the key to keeping RIV resale prices afloat.

I wonder if RIV resale market is going to trend like Aulani, go up and down for a bit, but in years 2-3-4 maybe go up slightly from the $100 lows but then drop back down under $100 in years 5+ I mean even Aulani may look more attractive as 11month booking + plenty of resorts to choice from at 7months. With RIV it's booking at 11months and if it's hard for you to plan that far in advance, then you're knocking out a whole "section" of potential buyers.

Just an update. Both the 100 and the 125 point contracts are still up at Fidelity. Haven’t moved... maybe I should offer my $50/pp again...?

I assume you are joking, but in case you are not: You can save your time. I offered $100 on both contracts and I was told "no".

I assume you are joking, but in case you are not: You can save your time. I offered $100 on both contracts and I was told "no".

Thanks for sharing, I would venture then that these people financed and can’t take less, It also tells me that the people who did accept $100 must have been financially able to deal with the loss.

I just still feel bad that we have people out there who bought and are in this position so quickly.

I have knowledge of an offer of $115 on at least one of those contracts that was also declined w/no counteroffer.

I have knowledge of an offer of $115 on at least one of those contracts that was also declined w/no counteroffer.
This is a problem for DVC and its owners. Up until this point, there has been a generally accepted range of prices that resorts are worth. Buyers and sellers offer and counter-offer. Some buyers lowball a bit, some sellers try to push the ceiling - but it all happens within a somewhat defined range. With RIV there is no defined range. Even when VGF, Poly, CCV, etc. hit the market they did so at a price close to direct and there were buyers willing to pay. That's not happening here. Sure, it's new, and things might settle in after a while. But the ends have never been this far apart, and it's troubling to see.

No argument that the resale restrictions are terrible and will influence price in the future. But even without the restrictions, sellers will be hard pressed to get a decent price on a resort that hasn’t opened yet which still has incentive pricing and deals. They would be far better off to keep the contract and rent points out until they can get right side up in their contract.

No argument that the resale restrictions are terrible and will influence price in the future. But even without the restrictions, sellers will be hard pressed to get a decent price on a resort that hasn’t opened yet which still has incentive pricing and deals. They would be far better off to keep the contract and rent points out until they can get right side up in their contract.
I don't disagree. But at these starting prices, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

I don't disagree. But at these starting prices, I'm not sure that will ever happen.
I'm sure it would take a long time, but if they rent out their points every year that would cover their mainenance and financing, no? Maybe not all of it, but hopefully enough so they would not take a bath on resale.

Last edited:
I'm sure it would take a long time, but if they rent out their points every year that would cover their mainenance and financing, no? Maybe not all of it, but hopefully enough so they would not take a bath on resale.

By my calculations using a 120pt contract and renting a deluxe studio (averaging out points across standard and deluxe across season so around 23 points a night) renting at the equivalent of $300 a night it would take you over 20 years and that is WITHOUT financing. Between 20-24 years depending on what season you were renting the studio in and variations in MFs, etc.. Someone else can check my work but that is what I came up with for myself if buying outright.

Last edited:
By my calculations using a 120pt contract and renting a deluxe studio (averaging out points across standard and deluxe across season so around 23 points a night) renting at the equivalent of $300 a night it would take you over 20 years and that is WITHOUT financing. Between 20-24 years depending on what season you were renting the studio in and variations in MFs, etc.. Someone else can check my work but that is what I came up with for myself if buying outright.
I'm talking about the person attempting to sell their RR contract via resale. So if they rented 120 points at $15 pp (average they would get through a broker) they would get $1800/year. But if they financed 120*160=19,200 not including finance charges.... If they rent at $1800 per year, only left with about $800. Yikes... But, selling within a year of buying sounds like a nightmare.

I see what you're going for and it's a good thought. But I don't think the profit made from renting would be enough to cover the monthly payments on the contract. If they paid cash then yes, it would probably be a better idea to simply not use the contract and make a small profit each year from renting rather than sell it at a loss. Then again, when you're hurting for money, getting something back is better than nothing, even if it is a loss. Said another way, someone who dropped $20,000 on DVC who suddenly finds themselves in dire straights might need the $12,000 they get from resale even if it locks in the loss, rather than profit $800-$1,000 for the year. Cash flow is king.

Has anyone discussed the "Sale Pending" RIV listing currently at dvcstore.com? Asking price was $144/pt for 175 points. I wonder what the accepted offer price was.

Has anyone discussed the "Sale Pending" RIV listing currently at dvcstore.com? Asking price was $144/pt for 175 points. I wonder what the accepted offer price was.
It will probably come up in the next DisUnplugged Video hopefully.

I just talked to Jerry Sydow (drom the DVC store) about that when we were recording yesterday. He couldn't share the offer price because it hasn't gone through the system yet - so no it won't be talked about on the show in the upcoming episodes. All he could say was that the offer was accepted. He did indicated it was only up for a matter of hours before the offer came in, so I'm guessing it wasn't super low (like $100 or something) but that's just a guess.

Not joking. I offered what I felt it was worth for me. You can see my post quite a few pages back. Those listings have been on fidelity for a very long time by resale standards... I suspect that resale for RR will be about as desirable, I.e. priced, as VB or HHI when the dust settles. It’ll be a nightmare to book with the restrictions once a fair percent of contracts are sold and, I suspect, your educated DVC buyers on the resale market are going to take any resort with a decent amount of time left on the contract over RR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!