First PHM - Hills?!

doodlemama

Mouseketeer
hi all experts! I am getting ready for my first half and I am having a hard time finding what to expect with hills on the course. Where they are and how long they last. Any tips?

No true hills, the elevation increases on the Half course primarily come from overpass ramps. The main one is on the way back from MK around mile 10.

Most of the bottom half of Florida the only hills are the highway over passes. Our mountains are the tall bridges going over the major waterways. :rotfl2: there is one long cloverleaf ramp from World Dr to Epcot that seems to go on forever. That is just pass the 9 mile marker

Ok so the overpassed are the challenge. When you say they are long is that a quarter mile or worse? Sorry. I just have hill phobia and surprise ones are worse! Thank you!!! Also maybe need to ask elsewhere but is navigating the starting area self-explanatory? Have only done local races. Largest had 1000 people I think. We have race retreat set up. I just feel overwhelmed with all the info and really nervous about messing it up! I had a dream I missed my corral starting because I was buying ice cream!

Ok so the overpassed are the challenge. When you say they are long is that a quarter mile or worse? Sorry. I just have hill phobia and surprise ones are worse! Thank you!!! Also maybe need to ask elsewhere but is navigating the starting area self-explanatory? Have only done local races. Largest had 1000 people I think. We have race retreat set up. I just feel overwhelmed with all the info and really nervous about messing it up! I had a dream I missed my corral starting because I was buying ice cream!
Maybe a quarter mile. I just remember hitting it towards the end of a W&D I was really pushing for a time goal on after having a good rhythm going and being all like, “well, froggy, we’re gonna need to dig a little deeper.”

The off ramps to the overpasses can be deceiving and when you hit the one at mile 10 people will say it is the last one - which isn't true there is another as you head back into Epcot and since they are at the end of the race a bit unexpected. Also you go under the water by the Contemporary and then back up (around mile 4ish) which is a bit surprising as well. The Army guys are at the "hill" at mile 10 and are very encouraging as you come around. The biggest thing to remember that you are climbing and circling and the banking can be deceiving.

For start area don’t worry about it. Mostly just follow fhe crowd. When you get to Corrals they are well marked with signs or balloons. If you are unsure ask any of the army of volunteers out there.

Look for PHM trip reports - those will help you to know what to expect.

The good thing about the overpass everything is talking about is that the incline is very gradual. Normally Sarge will be there to "encourage" you along. :) I'll echo the recommendations to watch out for the banked/sloped roads there, though. If possible, try to get up to the top of the road where it's flatter.

The other incline I can remember is when you go under the water bridge near the Contemporary (mile 3 or 4, can't remember exactly where it is). Normally there's a DJ up on the bridge and it's right before the Magic Kingdom, so that's sort of the motivation to get through that part.

Don't be scared of the hills - like others have said, there aren't many, and they will end! Just focus on putting one foot in front of the other, and if you need to slow down a bit to get through, do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter