First Ft Wilderness trip questions

We stayed at Fort Wilderness in 2016, a family of 6.
Now we really enjoyed the site & facilities.
We were in loop 2500 close to the second pool which we used daily.
During our stay we did spend a fair amount of time around the campgrounds.
A few evenings we spent around the Meadow Depot for the sing along & even took in a movie.
There was one area we had a picnic one day there were tables there & a small playground with BBQ facilities. This was near Loop 2000.
We found plenty to do there & surprisingly spent more time at the resort there than any other resort we have visited.

We have a trip booked for January. This will be our 3rd time to Disney, but our first time camping at the Fort, so I cannot give you any thoughts for your first question, but I can weigh in on your dining plan question. We are a family of 4, with our kids being 11 and 12, so when it comes to the dining plan, they are considered adults....and cost the same. For us, doing the dining plan works out. We tend to spend entire days in the parks....getting there before rope drop and leaving at or after closing. I like to plan our schedule so that we do 2 park days and then have a rest day, 2 more park days and another rest day, etc. Because we don't spend time at a resort on days that we are in the parks, eating meals that Disney cooks is going to happen. Also....as the person who is does at least 95% of the cooking in our home normally, I really don't want to cook while on vacation....I want a break. We generally eat breakfast in our resort room (for our January trip, we'll still eat nearly all of our breakfasts at our campsite, but we'll probably eat something different since we'll have access to a kitchen in the RV we are renting) and then do the quick service meal and table service meal (we do the medium level dining plan) for lunch or dinner. I space out the snacks between the meals depending on when the reservations for the table service meals are. So, if the table service dinner reservation is a later one...say, 8:30 pm, I make sure to push the morning snack, lunch, and then afternoon snack a little later than normal to hold us over. We like to use the meals as a rest periods throughout the day which helps us get through those long days without getting too tired. I know alot of families like to eat snacks and/or quick service meals while walking, but we prefer to find a shady spot to sit and people watch or just see what's going on in the area. I re-evaluate the dining plan each time we are planning a trip to Disney. I look at the daily cost of the dining plan and look at all of the places that we'll be trying to get reservations for as well as the menus for those places to try to guess at what the people in my family would most likely order. If I ever do the math and think that we will not benefit from the dining plan, then I wouldn't do the dining plan and would load up a bunch of gift cards instead, but so far the dining plan was a better deal for us. I will say that I do like that with the dining plan, the food is already paid for and I don't have to worry about having...or not having...enough money for food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!