First Ft Wilderness trip questions

linznjody

Earning My Ears
1. How much time do you usually spend at the campground? On a typical trip for us when staying at a hotel, we are rope droppers who take afternoon breaks to rest and swim/enjoy the resort. Do I need to plan for more time to enjoy the campground? I know we want to do archery one day.

2. Do you do the dining plan? If you don’t, how much coking do you actually do? We were thinking about doing the middle plan if we do one. It’d add $2500 to our trip. With it, I’m nervous about spending so much time at a table service each day. We have 7 park days now, so we could spread out other stuff, but that seems like a lot. Without the plan, we’d only save $400, and that’s eating at 5 table service restaurants over our 8 day trip. One of the big discussion points for us is the refillable mugs...seems pointless being so far from a place to fill up. Also, how are the quick service places at the fort? Worth it? My husband keeps arguing it’s only $400 more to stay at Pop, but we also really want the camping experience here too.

Thanks...lots of things to ponder.

I'm really new here and wasn't sure if I should jump in but here goes anyway lol. We stayed at the campground in 2016 and just booked for 2020. If you like to spend some downtime during the day I think you will enjoy Fort Wilderness. To me it seems way more laid back than the resorts. The pool area can be quite busy but still okay and there are lots of other things to do to. I'm not sure that you would need anymore time than you would at another resort but you might find it more relaxing.
We didn't do a dining plan and you do make a good point about the refillables and being far away. The quick service is good as is the sit down. Decent selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the quick service. We took in the hoop-dee-doo and really enjoyed it. The food was good. They have also added the chuck wagon since I was there last I wouldn't say the food was "spectacular" but it wasn't a disappointment either.
Dining plans are always a toss up for me too. I like them for the added convenience but at the end of the week feel like I ate about twice as much as I needed (and I'm a big eater) and the tips add up too.

We spend time at the Fort when we feel like it. That can vary trip to trip. We don't do any of the activities, but maybe walk the loops or just sit around a chill.

As far as food, we eat 99% at our camper. I cook full meals and pre-freeze them for the duration of our trips. So basically, I don't cook either, I just heat up. The only edibles that we regularly buy at Disney are fish & chips at Yorkshire County, also at Epcot, the flavored popcorn, and every once in awhile a Dole Whip.

We spend time at the Fort when we feel like it. That can vary trip to trip. We don't do any of the activities, but maybe walk the loops or just sit around a chill.

As far as food, we eat 99% at our camper. I cook full meals and pre-freeze them for the duration of our trips. So basically, I don't cook either, I just heat up. The only edibles that we regularly buy at Disney are fish & chips at Yorkshire County, also at Epcot, the flavored popcorn, and every once in awhile a Dole Whip.
As we have said in the past we usually spend about a month each trip to the Fort because we are old (retired) and drive our motor coach from Arizona with our 2 dogs. We spent March/April this year and back for Oct/Nov this fall. Already ressies for Oct/Nov 2020. Spend mornings on porch at Crockett's, mid every other day in a park, afternoons by our coach for cocktails and s'mores at sing a long right before bed so we can do it all over the next day. This is one reason DW and I worked so hard for so many years. Will stop when they send us to the home or to the grave yard.

1. How much time do you usually spend at the campground? On a typical trip for us when staying at a hotel, we are rope droppers who take afternoon breaks to rest and swim/enjoy the resort. Do I need to plan for more time to enjoy the campground? I know we want to do archery one day.

2. Do you do the dining plan? If you don’t, how much coking do you actually do? We were thinking about doing the middle plan if we do one. It’d add $2500 to our trip. One of the big discussion points for us is the refillable mugs...seems pointless being so far from a place to fill up. Also, how are the quick service places at the fort? Worth it? My husband keeps arguing it’s only $400 more to stay at Pop, but we also really want the camping experience here too.

1. Campground time varies for us. We like how laid back it is there and don't even feel like we're in the middle of the madness. We are not rope droppers, for the most part, and usually sleep in a bit. We usually go to the parks in the mid morning for a few hours, come back and rest a bit, and then go back in the evening. The kids & I like to take the boat over to MK at night, DH usually stays back with the dogs. He's not as much of a night owl as we are, lol!
There are lots of things to see at the campground and I would try to build some time in for that. My DD and DH did the horseback riding excursion and really enjoyed it. I think she'll do the archery in the fall. You didn't mention a golf cart in your post. They are pricy but fun to get one for at least one day to explore around the Fort.

2. We don't do the dining plan. We've done the numbers several times and it never seems to benefit us. We like to cook some at the camper and prefer just to grab something when out/about. We really don't do the TS meals often, either. We like to eat over at Disney Springs, too. It's nice to be able to bring leftovers home and not have to buy another meal--some of the meals are SO much food. We haven't gotten the refillable mugs in the past but I think we may do it this trip. We will be there in July for 12 days and plan on spending more time at the pool and resort hopping. I'll probably get 2 mugs for the kids.

1) we have 2 kids (6 & 4) and have taken 2 trips to the fort. Both times so far we spent as much time as we could in the parks each day and so far the kids have been good with that. We're heading back in December and will be doing the Christmas party one night. We learned with the Halloween party on one of the earlier trips that it wasn't worth a park ticket + the party in the same day so we'll be spending that day in the campground (or maybe going see a rocket launch on the coast, as there is one planned for that morning).

2) we have not done the dining plan. we typically do 1 or 2 character meals on the trip. do breakfast at the camper, unless doing a character breakfast. quick service for lunch in the parks. and sometimes cook dinner depending on park closing time or pick up more quick service or snack on stuff. We picked up the fried chicken from the quick service restaurant at the campground one night and it was good. I find the quick service prices in the parks to be reasonably priced since my kids can still split one meal.

2. Do you do the dining plan? If you don’t, how much coking do you actually do? We were thinking about doing the middle plan if we do one. It’d add $2500 to our trip. With it, I’m nervous about spending so much time at a table service each day. We have 7 park days now, so we could spread out other stuff, but that seems like a lot. Without the plan, we’d only save $400, and that’s eating at 5 table service restaurants over our 8 day trip. One of the big discussion points for us is the refillable mugs...seems pointless being so far from a place to fill up. Also, how are the quick service places at the fort? Worth it? My husband keeps arguing it’s only $400 more to stay at Pop, but we also really want the camping experience here too.

Thanks...lots of things to ponder.

It's going to end up an entirely personal thing with your family - what you like to do and what makes you happy!! Everyone seems to have their preferences on what, or how much/little, to do.
We love the Fort because it's our happy place, and nostalgic for us as we've been going there since a year after they opened in '71.
But, we are park people and spend very little time out and about the campground.
As for the dining plan - we've never had it, as it's too much food for us, plus, takes up too much 'scheduled' time when we'd usually rather wing it. We make TS ressies for about 3 meals for 8-10 nights, then catch QS or snacks whenever we want. We keep snacks and cereal in the motorhome if we need them, but we never cook or prepare meals while at Disney.
Like I said, we're all different with our expectations/likes/dislikes so you'll have to decide what works for your family personally.

We got a pizza somewhere at the Fort, years ago, and it was AWFUL. I don't remember where, but it's definitely not the same pizza they serve up at Pop Century, our other main resort. Even the grandchildren wouldn't eat it. We ended up throwing it away. I have no idea how they ruined pizza, but they did. Skip that for sure.

We prepare meals before coming down, things that are quick to cook and or things we can reheat easily. We did the dining plan one trip, but it was just DW and I and we rope dropped to close. So we did not want to leave the parks to eat. When we have had the nephews with us, we return for the afternoon or dinner, then head back to the park.

1. We never feel like we spend enough time at the Fort. We are occasional rope droppers. I try to leave at least some afternoons for the Fort. You could easily take a full day + to do all the things the Fort has to offer. Sadly, we like the parks... a lot and never seem to leave enough time for Fort things.

2. I'm with many of the prior posts. I'm fat and like to eat, but I can't make the dining plan math work out. Even I don't think I would eat that much. Overall, we probably eat about 50% of our meals at the camper. Most breakfasts and about half of dinners. Most lunches (or late lunch/dinner) we do in the parks. Either QS or a table service if we feel like it. Saving money on meals is what makes the price of staying at the Fort a better deal than a Value.

j

I havent been to the fort yet, but one of the upsides for me was the ability to make my own food. I plan on breakfast each day. And most dinners. Can i aford the dining plan, probably. But for me its better to save that money and book a few more days at the fort. This way i can go to the parks, and relax a bit.

I do a lot of crock cooking. Put whatever you want to have that day, when you come back to your site, it is ready. DH has a pellet smoker, so he cooks up different meats & chicken. All I do is a few side, depends on what we are eating. We always eat one meal @ Crystal Palace so I can hug Eeyore. Enjoy & have fun is the main issue when you are at The happiest place!

I do a lot of crock cooking. Put whatever you want to have that day, when you come back to your site, it is ready. DH has a pellet smoker, so he cooks up different meats & chicken. All I do is a few side, depends on what we are eating. We always eat one meal @ Crystal Palace so I can hug Eeyore. Enjoy & have fun is the main issue when you are at The happiest place!
Crock Pot meals are perfect. Don't forget the plastic crock pot liners to make cleanup a snap. Good bbq on the grill every few days and easy sides. Great grocery stores just a few minutes out the back entry makes shopping easy. NEVER forget the Smores at the camp fire every night. The food truck at the campfire actually has pretty good food at a decent disney price, along with wine and beer. Taking boat to MK is fun and easy but we like driving to other parks. seems to save time and no changing buses or cart to bus to cart.

For us, spending time hanging out at the fort most definitely depends on the time of year we go to Disney. In my opinion, if you go to Disney during the hot months of summer it is just too stinking hot to do anything outside, except to go swimming. During the nicer Florida months, riding bikes is one of our favorites things to do.

As for refillable mugs-we wait until we get to Disney to see which campsite we are assigned. If we are close to the Meadows or the Trading Post area, we buy mugs and baby, let me tell you, I FILL those mugs up many times a day. If not, no mugs.

We had the dining plan on our first trip to the fort. We flew down and tent camped so we didn't have a lot of kitchen gear and the meal plan made sense. Usually we just find it easier to put the money we would have spent on the dining plan onto a gift card and use that to pay for meals (That's all personal preference though) With a fully equipped camper its nice to be able to a few meals at the camper or even just breakfasts. We had the mugs that first trip and hardly ever used them, just wasn't convenient.

Thanks, everyone! We decided against the dining plan. It really is too much food, and we can save by doing a few meals at the camper. We’ve got a few sit downs that we want to do, but definitely not enough to justify the whole plan.

What we do, instead of the dining plan, is load up Disney gift cards. Months before our trip, $50 here and there. We transfer them to our "master" card. A gift card can be loaded up to $1000. Then whenever we want to eat, anything and anywhere, just use that card. It is like buying the plan without any restrictions or guilt of not using every credit.

What we do, instead of the dining plan, is load up Disney gift cards. Months before our trip, $50 here and there. We transfer them to our "master" card. A gift card can be loaded up to $1000. Then whenever we want to eat, anything and anywhere, just use that card. It is like buying the plan without any restrictions or guilt of not using every credit.

We do similar, but we use the gift cards with the points from the Disney Visa.

Dh has the remaining points transferred just before we leave, and if there is anything left at the end of vacation, we will purchase souvenirs or tshirts. It's much like free money. We think of it as our own version of free-dining since we are educators and can't go during the value times when they offer that sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter