First DVC (Member) Stay - VGF BPK - Pre-Christmas

Chuck96

Mouseketeer
After years of circling DVC, including two DVC points rentals (one at Poly and one at Beach Club), we finally committed this year, purchasing Direct at VGF. We had wanted to do a Christmas-adjacent stay (having never to the WDW in December), and the timing worked out pretty well to get VGF and book it for the 6 days we were planning to spend there. Booked a BPK Theme Park View Resort Studio (wanted to splurge on our first stay) for 17-23 DEC. Ended up coming down a day early on the 16th and stayed at the Hilton Disney Springs (the one with the Benihana) on Friday night, then spending a day at Disney Springs on Saturday before checking in. I tried like hell to get that Friday night at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge for the two weeks leading up to my reservation, but to no avail. The early bird gets the worm.

We are a party of 3, wife and son (19). Wife and son are huge Disney fans, I’m a big fan, not quite on their level. But I love how happy they are there, so we go pretty often. When my son was young, we were fortunate enough to have my parents pay for most of our extended family Disney visits. That included a few park trips and two Disney cruises. In 2018, we started going as the three of us on our nickel (Cruise + Coronado Springs for two days [Universal and AK/Pandora]). We enjoyed it so much, we went in Jan 2020 (Poly, DVC rental, half week), Sept 2021 (Beach Club, DVC rental, half week), and Jan 2022 (Coronado GDT, half week). I’d wanted a slightly longer trip at this time of year for them, so we had been planning for a pre-Christmas trip for about two years. Once we committed to DVC, it became an easier reality. We’d never stayed at Grand Floridian, but we’d visited it once or twice. While I prefer the theming at AKL or WL, proximity matters, and the refurbed BPK scratched most of our itches. So I booked for Saturday through Friday right before Christmas, and we settled in to making plans.

Part of the trip was a delayed celebration of my son’s 18th birthday. So we had planned this for Dec 2021 to go alongside the release of Avatar: The Way of Water (the first film is his favorite movie). Well, it got delayed to 2022, so we pushed the trip a year, and went in Sept 2021 for a shorter trip instead. Then I got talked into the Jan 2002 trip (his last “high school” trip). But this was our trip, our welcome home trip, as I had wanted to get DVC for my family since that 2018 experience. I wanted it to be something extra special for both of them; hence the time of year, staying at VGF BPK, and getting that Theme Park view.

9244 View.jpg9244 Night.jpg

Friday - We arrived on the afternoon of 16 December, renting a car and heading to the hotel. We had a little time before our dinner reservation at Boma, so we visited Disney Springs for about two hours. Sadly, we were starving and ruined our appetite eating at Jaleo, but I love their saltwater air Margarita. We took some snaps of the Avatar posters and light display, then headed over to AKL. I love AKL, having eaten there a few times before (at Jiko). We wanted to see some of the Christmas decorations at the resorts, so we scheduled this meal as much to visit the resort as anything else. It was beautifully decorated and the lobby was dark, so the tree really shone. Boma itself was nice, if relatively expensive, especially since we only went to the buffet twice (our fault). Afterwards, we walked out behind the lobby to look at some animals. Very peaceful way to start the week. I can’t wait to stay at AKL someday in the future.

Saturday – We woke up, checked out, and headed over to Wilderness Lodge for breakfast (again, just to see the lobby made up for Christmas) at Whispering Canyon Café. While quite lovely, family felt that AKL looked better the night before. We’ve stayed a few times at WL, and we love the theming and detail. Walked around the resort for a little bit before heading over to DS for the afternoon. Check-in wasn’t until 4 PM at VGF. Leisurely day at the Springs, walking through shops, getting my MDE account squared away, and settling in to the Disney experience. Once the room was ready, we made our way over to our new Disney home, and got directed a bit around, finally getting to the room (9244). Second floor, lake view, nice views of WDW itself. More importantly, it was well off the lobby, so the room was pretty quiet most nights. That was worth as much as the view. Dinner at Citricos, quite good, probably our best meal of the week. We unpacked everything, took a look around the beautiful (but PACKED) lobby, and got ready for the real day one. BTW, the lobby was always packed. Morning, night, you name it. Didn’t get to enjoy it much.

Sunday – Starting in DHS (their second favorite park, my least favorite park), then wherever the day takes us until dinner. I had warned them we were going hard today. I expected to visit every park a few times…except DHS. This was our one day there. My wife loves ToT, Runaway Railway, and Slinky Dog. Plan was to start at ToT, then hit MMRR, then use Genie+ for Slinky Dog. Genie+ was uncooperative at 7:00 AM, so by the time I got it refreshed, Slinky Dog was already an afternoon time. I took it angrily, and bought ILLs for Cosmic Rewind that evening (another big reason for our trip), and what the heck, Flight of Passage. We could hop through AK in the afternoon. We were there for Pandora, why not? I took advantage of the Modify Plans, and got Slinky Dog down to early afternoon, so our itinerary was set. We got ready, drove to DHS for RD, and headed immediately to ToT. Which was down (a common ToT theme). So we hit RnR immediately, then went over to MMRR. It was a 40 minute wait, but that’s ok. What a fun ride, really sets the mood. Then Star Tours followed by Muppets 3D (and another Genie+ res, TSMania). My wife had scored an Oga’s reservation at 1100. We had not yet been, and I was happy to do something new. I grew up with SW, but Galaxy’s Edge (overall) doesn’t do much for me. In the end, we ended up not riding Smuggler’s Run (wait never dropped low enough, and I had other Genie+ priorities). She just wanted to tease me about the SW fans, but ended up loving our 45 minutes or so in there. It was her favorite thing! Will definitely prioritize it on future visits. The bartenders made it for her. After that, we had lunch (and caught World Cup updates on our phones, like many other diners) and moseyed over to Toy Story Land. Rode our TSMania (we remember when it was the hottest ride in WDW, and we would run to the FP Distribution machines in the morning) and then headed over to Slinky Dog to finish our DHS time. After that, we had a window to get to AK, ride the Safari (G+), then get our first ride of FoP. Then it was off to dinner at the new Crepe place at EPCOT. I had managed to Modify Plans to get a Remy’s (the other new ride for us, besides Cosmic Rewind) right before our dinner reservation. We walked off with a minute to spare, but fortunately, the Crepe place is located at the exit of Remy’s. We enjoyed Remy’s quite a bit, but continued to be amused at the huge wait times it had the following week. Nonetheless, a cool ride. After dinner, we walked over and finally rode Cosmic Rewind. Wife loved, loved, loved it, so that became a staple (I ended up ILLing it Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday so she could get her fix). I dug it a lot (as a ride, though the story is relatively incomprehensible during the ride) as well. Having had a big and successful day, we headed back to the hotel to get some sleep. Monday we were starting at AK, so that meant an early morning.

Sunday ended up being, thanks to G+, some ILLs, and "Modify Plans"
RnR
MMSR
Star Tours
Muppets 3D
Ogas
Toy Story Mania
Slinky Dog
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Flight of Passage
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
Guardians Cosmic Rewind

Little did I know that crowds the next day would become quite larger.

Monday – We let my wife off the hook, and my son and I rope-dropped AK. Our goal was the get on FoP with a minimal wait, enjoy the rest of the park. G+ was slow again, but I got us a Safari late-morning, and we walked in as the rides were opening for resort guests. Beelined to FoP, which was still a 50 minute wait, but that’s nothing. We liked the queue anyway. We knocked that out, and then wandered over to Everest. We rode it together, and then I let my son single rider it once. My wife was showing up, so we had Yak and Yeti quick serve, and then got on our Safari, and then rode FoP again on an ILL. My son and wife spent some money in Windtraders, and then we decided to head back to the resort for a bit. G+ had risen from $17/person to $25/person that day, which should have let me know. Crowds at AK were about 40% bigger on Monday than on Sunday, and that held true across all of the parks. I literally don’t remember much of the afternoon. We hit EPCOT for another CR ride, and we may have hit MK for a little bit. I do know we ended the night at TotW (our first visit) for the Villain Wind-Down. Having paid for a fireworks party inside MK before, we much, much preferred this. $55/person to include a snack and a drink in reasonable comfort. We really enjoyed seeing the fireworks up there, and we plan to do this particular activity again. From there, we monorailed back to the hotel. We were able to sleep in a bit the next day. It was a Universal day.

Tuesday – A bit of a gloomy day. In retrospect, we should have saved our down day for mid-trip. We didn’t, so mid-trip was Universal, both parks, express pass (which doesn’t work for the two newest rides). We quickly went to Hagrids, which said it was 230 min by the time we got there. Said heck no, and went to Velocicoaster. Which is still such a great thrill ride. That said 90 min, but was more like 55-60 minutes. I figured Uni staff was goosing the wait numbers to move people around the park. Got some butterbeer, did Hogwart’s Forbidden Adventure, grabbed some lunch at the HP restaurant in Hogsmeade, and then took the HP Express to the other side. Wandered around Diagon Alley, let son do the Mummy ride, then wandered back over as the Hagrid times were normalizing. Did the Hulk (a favorite), then Hagrid’s (down to 110 min), then Spider-Man, which was broken at the end. Ride staff didn’t acknowledge it. Headed out, because wife and I wanted to go to Port Orleans Scat Cats to try the Beignets. Worth the trip, and I started to feel a scratch in the back of my throat. Headed back to the hotel to hang out.

Wednesday – Started at Magic Kingdom. My wife’s favorite park. I was really starting to feel that oncoming bug (I knew it wasn’t COVID, having had it, and feeling the effects from various vaccine/boosters). But we started at the Royal Table, having not eaten there in 15 years. Food was decent, we really liked our waitress. I then sent out my wife and son to start rides while I waited for the bill. I waited like 20 minutes…nothing. I finally realized there was no bill…it was pre-paid, so I’d just been taking up a table like an idiot. Finally met up with my family after they rode Thunder Mountain, and we started to work through the park. My impending illness slowed me down a bit, but we managed a Jingle Cruise (G+), Space Mountain, Peoplemover (my fave), Tiki Room early. We eventually made our way to EPCOT while I stacked some of the classics at MK for after dinner. Rode Spaceship: Earth, our third Cosmic Rewind, and I managed to get another Remy’s via Modify Plans during our dinner at the hibachi place in EPCOT Japan. Then headed back to MK for Pirates, Thunder Mountain and Haunted Mansion to finish the day. This is the other day Genie+ wasn’t a waste of our money.

Thursday – Last Park day…wanted to finish at AK and Pandora. But also start there. Let my wife sleep in a bit again, and son and I went extra early to ride FoP. Crowds were noticeably bigger, and our wait was closer to 70 minutes. Afterwards, got in our 3rd safari (G+) and finally saw warthogs again. After that, grabbed a quick snack and then went over by the safari again to check in for the 11:00 Up Close With Rhinos tour. I had wanted to do an animal tour or two for years, and this trip was the right opportunity. We ended up scheduling the Rhino visit and the Elephant Q&A (which stages back behind the elephants on the Safari itself. Both were wonderful experiences, and the fees (~$50/person) went directly to conservation. Also saw a little backstage at AK and quite enjoyed it. Was fortunate enough to be able to pet a beautiful female Black Rhino, and see the elephants a little more closely. In our “do new things every time,” this was a big one. We will probably do another AK tour again in the future. After the elephants, I was feeling awful, so I went back to the resort while wife and son headed to EPCOT. We decided to meet later afternoon to ride Na’vi River Journey (I won’t wait more than 30 min for this) and finish our park experience with one final FoP. After that, back to the hotel and a dinner the GF Café. Not great, but ok. Then it was packing and trying to feel better.

Friday – Going home. After watching money just pour out of my wallet for a week and with the Disney Dad thousand yard stare…I was ready to go. Wife and son were a little more melancholy about it, but wife was starting to feel sick as well. While I had hoped to get to Poly just to see the lobby and look around a bit (I love Poly), my wife chased an earlier flight and we headed to the airport. We made it home safe and sound, another WDW visit in the books. Plenty of lessons learned. We enjoyed the Welcome Home visit quite a bit, quite happy with VGF BPK. Room was lovely and comfortable, though I’d grouse if I paid rack rate. Hard to beat a two minute monorail to MK, and a three minute boat ride back to the hotel. Can’t beat that convenience. I’ll share whatever asides and stray thoughts later. Wanted to at least finish the week summary first.

We also had an amazing deal at Citrico's. Took a LONG time for the food, but if we didn't have kids with us, we wouldn't have minded. Excellent food.

I enjoyed reading your report! We really liked staying at VGF in September which was our first DVC trip as well. My hubbs and I cooked pizza for the kids and snuck out for a dinner date at Citricos. Very good and would definitely do that again. We made it a short trip to experience MNSSHP. I'm one and done with that party but would love to do the Mickey's Christmas party again.

I thought I would also add some pictures from the trip, just for color.

AKL - Night One
Av2 Drink.jpg

AK Lobby Night.jpg
AKL Lobby (our favorite)

AK Lobby 2.jpg
AKL Lobby - from the outside

AKL - Night One

Days Two and Three (Sat and Sun)

WL Lobby.jpg
WL Lobby (Sat AM)

Ogas.jpg
Sunday Ogas (one of three drinks my wife had in 45 minutes - pretty tasty)

Messi.png
Listened to Argentina win in Backlot Express (vicariously through other travelers as well)

Giraffe Close.jpg
Sunday First Safari - Giraffe Danger Close!

Monday - GF, AK, and Wicked Winddown

Hippos.jpg
Hippos on Safari

GF Lobby 1.jpg
GF Lobby (2nd Floor)

GF Lobby 2.jpg
GF Lobby Entrance

GF Lobby 3.jpg
GF Lobby Gingerbread

Pandora 1.jpg
Pandora (early morning)

Wicked Winddown.jpg
Villains Lair Menu

TOTWL View.jpg
View from TOTWL on WW side

Wednesday - MK Day

Morning Castle.jpg
Castle before opening (on way to the Royal Table)

Tile 1.jpg
Castle Tile (of several)

Family.jpg
Family Pic, looking out at a quiet Main Street

Cheshire.jpg
Cheshire Cat (one of wife's favorite)

HM Night.jpg
HM at night (our last MK ride, as usual - always a favorite)

Thursday and Friday - AK and Outro

Empty Bus.jpg
After my siesta back at the hotel, here was my completely empty (except for me) bus taking me back to AK

Pandora 2.jpg
Pandora at Night (I love these knotwork sculpts)

Evil Castle.jpg
View of the Evil Castle outside of Gasparillas on the last night (trying to get my $ worth on refillable cups)

See You Soon.jpg
Saw this when I was loading the car - made me smile. See you soon!

Getting sick (and poor) aside, we had a fine time; really enjoyed the longer Welcome Home visit, though I still felt like we didn't see or do quite a few things we wanted. I am already keen for another short trip or two (in advance of a weeklong vacation there in two years or so), maybe stay somewhere new and try out Tron and my beloved MK Train (which I just missed by a day this last visit). Thanks for reading!

@Chuck96 thanks for the trip report! I'm headed to Pop next week for a (rescheduled a la Hurricane Ian) trip with my college roomie. We are doing the rhino experience for first time, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

DH and I also bought direct at VGF in April 2022 and we are taking our welcome home trip at the end of March 2023. We can't wait to stay at VGF! We will be traveling with DS 21, DS 18, and his buddy, and we'll be doing lots of the same things you did. I'm going to try to schedule a Wicked Wind Down event at TotWL, as DH and I have never experienced this before...glad to know you enjoyed it and felt it was worth the $.

Your pictures were beautiful...it's a bucket list item to go at Christmastime...we've never been at WDW with all of the holiday decorations.

I hope you're feeling better, and thank you for helping me get excited about being a new DVC VGF owner!

I hope you have a great time on both trips, and enjoy your first stay at VGF. We really had a great time there.

@Chuck96 thanks for the trip report! I'm headed to Pop next week for a (rescheduled a la Hurricane Ian) trip with my college roomie. We are doing the rhino experience for first time, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

DH and I also bought direct at VGF in April 2022 and we are taking our welcome home trip at the end of March 2023. We can't wait to stay at VGF! We will be traveling with DS 21, DS 18, and his buddy, and we'll be doing lots of the same things you did. I'm going to try to schedule a Wicked Wind Down event at TotWL, as DH and I have never experienced this before...glad to know you enjoyed it and felt it was worth the $.

Your pictures were beautiful...it's a bucket list item to go at Christmastime...we've never been at WDW with all of the holiday decorations.

I hope you're feeling better, and thank you for helping me get excited about being a new DVC VGF owner!
Same

I've heard reports that some of the theme park view rooms are blocked by a tree, was this still the case? Thinking about trying for a theme park view one time but worried about splurging here and have a blocked view... would be heart-breaking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter