First Cruise / RCL/ Nassau CocoCay!!

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
Hello! My name is Spencer Wright, and this is a Pre-Trip Report (PTR) in anticipation of my first ever cruise.

It doesn’t seem like PTR/ Trip Reports are much of a thing for cruises, but if no one minds, I thought I might put one together!

I was a huge Disney fan in my childhood and teen years, and WDW vacations and Disney movies were a big part of my life. In my early and mid-twenties, I sort of fell out of it, but really became passionate about Disney again starting about two years ago. My mother, sister, and I decided to give WDW another go about 3 years ago, I joined the Disney Movie Club, found the DisUnplugged, and a passion was reborn! In terms of the World of Disney, I really love the Classic Animated films, Walt Disney World, and the attractions.

In 2019, I really wanted to try something new, perhaps DLR in California, or Disneyland in Paris. However, it hit me to try a cruise (primarily due to cost) and see what I think.

My travel companion is my sister, and we are extremely excited.

I booked a June 1st through 5th (4 night) sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. There are stops at Key West and Havana, Cuba.

Who amongst us ever thought we would be going to Cuba????

I have concerns the itinerary is way too short but will stick with it for now. We are on the Majesty of the Seas which looks absolutely amazing.

I thought in part I would do a PTR as I do not really know what I am doing, and I want to make the most out of our time!

We are very low maintenance and do not drink alcohol. My sister loves Key West so that day is planned easily enough!

I am mostly concerned about making sure we can be the most efficient with time.

So please jump aboard, as I navigate drink packages, food, activities, excursions and all the rest!!

Also, please do not hesitate to share any thoughts about the quality of the sailing, any tips, or anything at all you wish to share.

(Also, I have pictures to add, anyone know the best way to Add in a Mac Book Pro, I have never been able to figure it out >:()

Last edited:
Following along. I can hear your excitement. I love it!
Never been on Majesty but in recent years have been on Allure, Mariner and Independence. You'll hear people saying that 4 days is too short. For us, we disagree. Our recent Mariner and Independence cruises were 4 days, and it was an amazing 4 (or 3.5 days) of total fun. Just go in knowing its 4 days and get the things done that you want. For the next couple years, we have a 7 day cruise booked in March, and a 4 day in August. So...not too short for us.

I'm a big Disney fan too and really love the parks...they are truly magical (have been to both Disney World and Disneyland), but for us, we love Royal cruises. They really are for whole family. Majesty is one of the smaller ships but still looks amazing, and good for a first timer so you don't feel overwhelmed. We love the daily dinner and a show (and even afterwards more shows, activities, listening to music, etc). And in the day, hang out by the pool or join in the activities (and of course, go on shore when in port).

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise.

Following along. I can hear your excitement. I love it!
Never been on Majesty but in recent years have been on Allure, Mariner and Independence. You'll hear people saying that 4 days is too short. For us, we disagree. Our recent Mariner and Independence cruises were 4 days, and it was an amazing 4 (or 3.5 days) of total fun. Just go in knowing its 4 days and get the things done that you want. For the next couple years, we have a 7 day cruise booked in March, and a 4 day in August. So...not too short for us.

I'm a big Disney fan too and really love the parks...they are truly magical (have been to both Disney World and Disneyland), but for us, we love Royal cruises. They really are for whole family. Majesty is one of the smaller ships but still looks amazing, and good for a first timer so you don't feel overwhelmed. We love the daily dinner and a show (and even afterwards more shows, activities, listening to music, etc). And in the day, hang out by the pool or join in the activities (and of course, go on shore when in port).

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise.

Thank You! Its basically three full days of activity. But we figured were doing 8 days of WDW in August so we will try it and see what we think.

Looking forward to reading about your cruise!

Would agree that pre-trip reports aren’t as common as trips to WDW or DL. I'd say it’s mostly because the itinerary is basically set and you can only do so much in describing excursions and travel plans beforehand.

I’m not that familiar with Majesty, but if you’ve got questions, I’ll try to help as best I can.

Yes, Cuba, who would have thought......we're going on an 8 night cruise to Cuba in March. Can't wait.
Hope you have a wonderful cruise

HI Spencer found this post while researching for a our first possible cruise. I have nothing to help you out but wanted to say hi :wave2: and that I have enjoyed reading several of your articles.

HI Spencer found this post while researching for a our first possible cruise. I have nothing to help you out but wanted to say hi :wave2: and that I have enjoyed reading several of your articles.

Thank You! I appreciate it... it seems like we have some stuff to learn but it is very easy!!

So, we decided to switch to a different cruise, 4 nights on the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami, with stops at CocoCay and Nassau.

There were several reasons for this, but basically this sailing fits much better with what we were looking for: quick, casual fun in the sun.

The prior cruise had stops in Havana and Key West. My sister (who I am traveling with) is getting married in Key West in November and has been there several times. And, then there’s Havana, which required a $75 Visa, and you have to do a (costly) excursion. I knew there would be a Visa and some strings attached, but a full day there would have been half the cost of the cruise.

So we switched to our current sailing (May 6th-10th), and for the same price was able to get a balcony!!

And this ship looks absolutely amazing. So now we are looking into drink packages (no alcohol involved), internet packages, and a possible excursion in Nassau.

We plan on doing no additional dining, and nothing with an additional charge on CocoCay. As of now I am debating how much internet to get. I could go a month without internet and be fine, however I want to be able to check on my three cats (they will be well cared for when I’m gone).

Overall, I found the website Royal Caribbean has and their customer service number to be incredibly helpful. They could not be easier or more efficient. I called this morning at 6 to cancel the prior cruise and someone answered immediately with no issues whatsoever. Disney has a lot to learn from RCL.

The one question I do have (and what I am currently looking into), for some of yous with more experience, is how ‘bad’ is Nassau, and how much is an excursion ‘necessary’.

Of note, most of my friends and such live in different parts of Philadelphia. While I think its an overall safe and wonderful city, I have become very good at knowing when to turn around and how to be aware of my surroundings. However, it is a city I am familiar with, so the context is different.

What do some of yous do in Nassau? Experiences? Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!