First Aid Stations

musicmom3331

Mouseketeer
When I was at Hollywood Studios last month, I realized that I forgot to pack any alcohol prep pads for the injections I needed to take the next day. I popped into the First Aid Station and explained my dilemma. I was promptly handed several prep pads at no charge. I was even told that they would administer my injections if I wanted. Disney is awesome!

When I was at Hollywood Studios last month, I realized that I forgot to pack any alcohol prep pads for the injections I needed to take the next day. I popped into the First Aid Station and explained my dilemma. I was promptly handed several prep pads at no charge. I was even told that they would administer my injections if I wanted. Disney is awesome!
Yes, first aid is amazing most of the first aid nurses know me by name I go there so much, one thing I am not sure they can do is give you your injection. I have heard them say to a lot of people we can give you things but we can not touch you ( I heard someone came in with s splinter in their hands and they could give them twiser but could not take it out,)

but yes first aid has some OTC meds, taps, alcohol pads ( this one I forget all the time) earplugs ice packs ( they will make them for you) ace bandages they can take vital signs, and they do have a BG kit for emergency ( or they did last year). I wash eye drops, and a number of different bandaids this list can change but there are a few things I know they have had in the past

I've never been to a First Aid station - but I love knowing that they are there if I do need them. It's a safety net.

Yes, first aid is amazing most of the first aid nurses know me by name I go there so much, one thing I am not sure they can do is give you your injection. I have heard them say to a lot of people we can give you things but we can not touch you ( I heard someone came in with s splinter in their hands and they could give them twiser but could not take it out,)

but yes first aid has some OTC meds, taps, alcohol pads ( this one I forget all the time) earplugs ice packs ( they will make them for you) ace bandages they can take vital signs, and they do have a BG kit for emergency ( or they did last year). I wash eye drops, and a number of different bandaids this list can change but there are a few things I know they have had in the past

I thought if they were an RN or a certified EMT they could administer care themselves.

A few years ago, dh & I were walking in Epcot near Chinese pavilion, when somehow I tripped over dh's foot :crazy2: and fell hard on my knee - skinned it bad. Seemed almost instantly, a CM (+ other's help) was there with a wet towel for me.
He asked if I could walk (yes) and told me to go to First Aid for rest and ice pack. My only experience with them (thankfully), but they could not have been nicer!! :)

They typically have Tylenol and ibuprofen and I think some stomach meds and Benadryl too for free. I have gotten bandaids at a couple amusement parks over the years. Never had to visit Disney’s. It is good to know they are there when needed

I have frequent flier miles with WDW first aid! Such a great service! Tylenol, advil, aspirin, tums, bandaids, alcohol swabs, caladryl ointment, benadryl, ice packs, ear plugs -FAST friendly service!

I think it is a rule at Disney
Correction: It is a rule at Disney World, but most of their First Aid staff are not RNs or EMTs, so they have this rule for consistency.

At Disneyland, it is a different story, every single person that works first aid there is a RN and thus can do more than at Disney World. They still have limits (basically if the issue didn't happen in the parks, like an open sore you have had for a while, they can't assist), but overall they can assist with more.

At Disney World, if you need someone to come to you, the people that come are EMTs though, this is simply due to the size of the parks and they want to make sure that those with life threatening issues can be treated appropriately.

Now all of what I say about Disney World is true as of about 4 years ago when I had the unfortunate opportunity of having an extended amount of time in first aid due to my wife having had issues on Mission Space and I got to talk with the nurse for quite a bit to find out more.

Overall, both systems make sense for where they are and what is required by state laws and both are friendly, just a matter of what they can and can't do.

Correction: It is a rule at Disney World, .
I am at first aid so much that most of the people that work there know me by name and my medical problems and what I will need... I have heard more than one time we can give you XYZ but we can not touch you or help you do XYZ. I think the most they will do is take your temp. BP and if you have diabetes then they can check your BG if they have what they need. I just do not want someone thinking they can give you an injection because I am like 99.999999999% sure they can not

I am at first aid so much that most of the people that work there know me by name and my medical problems and what I will need... I have heard more than one time we can give you XYZ but we can not touch you or help you do XYZ. I think the most they will do is take your temp. BP and if you have diabetes then they can check your BG if they have what they need. I just do not want someone thinking they can give you an injection because I am like 99.999999999% sure they can not

As far as injections go, when the lady at the front desk found out what I needed the prep pads for she said, "We can give you the injection for you." I said that I'm okay giving them myself, but she said they still could if I needed them to. I thanked her and went on my way. This was at HS mid-June.

As far as injections go, when the lady at the front desk found out what I needed the prep pads for she said, "We can give you the injection for you." I said that I'm okay giving them myself, but she said they still could if I needed them to. I thanked her and went on my way. This was at HS mid-June.
I wonder if she was new and did not know.

I know for certain that First Aid at the WDW Theme Parks and Water Parks are staffed by Registered Nurses.
I am also an RN.

Registered Nurses in each state practice under their state’s Nurse Practice Act, which csn vary a bit, but are generally very similar.
The Nurse Practice Act identifies which things the RN can do independently and which need to be under the direction of a Licensed Independent Practitioner (Physician, Advanced Practice Nurse, Physician Assistant).
Independent practice includes things like observation, assessment, intervention, health teaching, etc.

Registered Nurses can also administer medications and treatments prescribed by an Independent Practitioner. These are often covered under standing orders, which are lists of treatments or medications to give under specific circumstances.

A couple of the specific things I know for sure they have standing orders for are allergic reactions, sunburn, illness related to sun/heat and nausea.
The injection that musicmom was at First Aid for could possibly fit under one of their standing order sets.
They have over the counter medications that don’t require a prescription; they are most likely to ask if you would like them, but not actually administer them.

Most of the time, we are going to First Aid either to do my daughter’s catheter or to give her medication. I do tell the person at the desk what we are doing so that I get an appropriate room/space. Almost always, I am asked if I need any assistance from the nurse or anything from them.

I know for certain that First Aid at the WDW Theme Parks and Water Parks are staffed by Registered Nurses.
I am also an RN.

Registered Nurses in each state practice under their state’s Nurse Practice Act, which can vary a bit, but are generally very similar.
The Nurse Practice Act identifies which things the RN can do independently and which need to be under the direction of a Licensed Independent Practitioner (Physician, Advanced Practice Nurse, Physician Assistant).
Independent practice includes things like observation, assessment, intervention, health teaching, etc.

Registered Nurses can also administer medications and treatments prescribed by an Independent Practitioner. These are often covered under standing orders, which are lists of treatments or medications to give under specific circumstances.

A couple of the specific things I know for sure they have standing orders for are allergic reactions, sunburn, illness related to sun/heat and nausea.
The injection that musicmom was at First Aid for could possibly fit under one of their standing order sets.
They have over the counter medications that don’t require a prescription; they are most likely to ask if you would like them, but not actually administer them.

Most of the time, we are going to First Aid either to do my daughter’s catheter or to give her medication. I do tell the person at the desk what we are doing so that I get an appropriate room/space. Almost always, I am asked if I need any assistance from the nurse or anything from them.

The First Aid RN's have always been very helpful to me, too. I was talking to one at EPCOT on my last stay and when she asked my me profession, I told her I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. She asked about the maximum dosage of medication to give infants for their aerosol treatment medication. She showed me the unit dosage that contained the medication and normal saline. That is usually what I give to adults per physician orders. She said that she also had unit doses of just normal saline. I told her she should first ask the parent's patient to see their own medication, but that she should dilute the medication with the normal saline based on the dosage and the watch the vital signs closely.

I say all of this because I found something different about the cast members in the parks on my last visit. Several years ago, all cast members told me that they could not help me by giving me hand or help me out of a ride per their policy. Sometimes I might feel a little woozy after a ride. They waited as I tried to get my balance especially if there were no handrails to grab onto for the exit. I hated holding the other people up. They offered to call the local EMT's to help me. I thought that was ridiculous when all I needed was just a steady hand up.

This last visit every single castmember went out of their way to help. At DHS's Swirling Aliens, they offered to let me drive my wheelchair to the ride and to help me on. Afterward, they brought the wheelchair to me? I was amazed. At the rollercoaster, they did the same thing. When I got off the roller coaster the cast member held out his hand and he said, "can I give you a hand or any assistance." I didn't need it that time because had enough places on the ride to hold onto.

I found this very refreshing.

I guess that WDW has changed its insurance policies where they can assist guests without worrying about being sued.

But that is just my experiences.

Back in the early 90's I worked as an assistant to the company doctors. I sat in the exam room with the doctor while he saw the employee/patient. Back then, nurses were allowed to remove splinters, clean and wrap wounds if they were superficial, check your blood pressure, etc. The doctors treated wounds with sutures if needed.
I don't understand why the nurses can't touch the patients/employees unless of course the rules have changed over the years. If this is actually true, what purpose do the nurses serve? Just to hand out band-aides? Most departments keep band-aides and aspirin or Tylenol on hand anyway. At least they did when I worked there.

My granddaughter got a splinter in her foot at Blizzard Beach last year and they removed it at the First Aid station. They were so nice and went out of their way to make her comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!