Fireworks party price increase

I can only speak to the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party. I booked this a few days ago for July and it was cheaper than I had expected. I believe it is quoted at $79 per adult and $45 per kid. I am guessing due to using my Disney Chase Visa I received a discount but they only showed up as $66 and $38 which is more than 10%. Those of you with a Disney Visa, this may be worth looking into for possible discounts on the HEA dessert party? My bill did not explicitly state that a discount was included but apparently so!

I still think that’s a hosing, but at least you get booze.

I think Disney wants to turn some people away. If they can charge more with all these price increases and reduce crowds along with reducing staff they will become much more profitable. And they know they can lure people back anytime they want.

I wouldn't be so sure about luring people back anytime they want! People tend to be creatures of habit. If they feel like they're not valued as customers, or feel priced out of a particular business, they will migrate towards and become loyal to another one.

I wouldn't be so sure about luring people back anytime they want! People tend to be creatures of habit. If they feel like they're not valued as customers, or feel priced out of a particular business, they will migrate towards and become loyal to another one.

My opinion exactly. If folks start believing that Disney has become too expensive and exclusive for them, it may not be easy to lure them back.

And another thing—if Disney’s management wants to turn WDW into a playground for the wealthy, they are going to need to step up their game when it comes to maintaining the property.

The past couple of trips, things were looking a little shabby. I’ve noticed worn out seats in attractions, poorly cleaned restrooms, burnt out light bulbs, litter, etc.

They can’t get away with charging more and more at the same time that they’re letting things go.

All companies are in business to make money. Many just aren't quite so obvious about it.

Some comment that people will pay whatever Disney charges. Some will but many can't because they don't have the money. Disney definitely isn't a charity but potentially pricing visitors out is still a shame.

There has always been people priced out of WDW and there always will be. Replace "WDW" with any number of things, that is just how it goes.

We did the dessert party waaayy back when it was like $30 an adult and it was totally worth it. When the first increase happened, our family was priced out. Those are the breaks.

So here is my 2 cents on this. Yes Disney will keep increasing Pricing but in saying that If you have a larger family and really just want to see the fireworks and dont care about the projections. Renting a Private Boat with a Disney Skipper, for just you and your family only Runs a little over 300. You get snacks, if your so inclined you can also order special deserts from Private Dining for your boat, the Disney Cast member takes you around the lake and points out things and gives you history and trivia and then you make your way over to in front of the castle watch the fireworks and listen to the music then you get a up close view of the water parade and of course more Disney facts and trivia. Granted you dont get to see the projections as good as you do up close but you make up for it in the private viewing, trivia and water parade.

Just Food for thought

I don’t agree with the commonly argued belief that Disney is attempting to attract mostly wealthy guests. Anyone truly wealthy I know either skips Disney all together, or goes a couple times with their kids. They also weren’t throwing around money like some like to believe here, without Disney blinders on (like so many of us have) at least 2 separate couples I know refused to pay Disney’s high prices for resorts as they couldn’t see the value there. Rich people don’t get that way by throwing around $80 per person for a 20 minute firework show.

I believe they’re still trying to attract the same customers they always have. The ones with emotional attachments to Disney, regardless of their annual incomes. They’re going for the people who will scrimp and save to give their kids the “ultimate Disney experience” sparing no expense, the people who will happily find a way to afford the ability to commit 50 years of their vacations to Disney, the people who proudly proclaim “I drive an old beater while my neighbours get new cars every 2 years because we LOVE Disney”, the ones even on this board who seemingly have no ceiling as to what they’ll pay for the ease of navigating the crowds, etc. They want us, the people who have Disney running through their veins and will pay $$$ because the importance of a Disney trip is ingrained in us.

Most people I know who aren’t already seasoned Disney veterans have always thought a Disney vacation was expensive. I think most price increases change very little for the casual guest, and for the obsessive guests among us, I just don’t think they’ve come anywhere near the breaking point yet.

That’s not to say I like how high the prices for most things have gotten, or the extras they now charge for, but I think they’re still trying to squeeze money out of ultimately the same group of people.

I believe they’re still trying to attract the same customers they always have. The ones with emotional attachments to Disney, regardless of their annual incomes. They’re going for the people who will scrimp and save to give their kids the “ultimate Disney experience” sparing no expense, the people who will happily find a way to afford the ability to commit 50 years of their vacations to Disney, the people who proudly proclaim “I drive an old beater while my neighbours get new cars every 2 years because we LOVE Disney”, the ones even on this board who seemingly have no ceiling as to what they’ll pay for the ease of navigating the crowds, etc. They want us, the people who have Disney running through their veins and will pay $$$ because the importance of a Disney trip is ingrained in us.

I wish this was true but there is just no evidence to suggest it is. I think it IS who they should focus on (at least more than they are) but we are biased as that is us. I think it's pretty clear they've decided people like us will come no matter what, and if they do slowly price some of us out, they don't care. It's easier to focus on the once a lifers who will continue to trickle in and make their quarterly numbers look better. It won't bite them in the butt until years later when they don't have as many kids growing up being nostalgic about it and wanting to come back every year, and Universal DOES.

I wish this was true but there is just no evidence to suggest it is. I think it IS who they should focus on (at least more than they are) but we are biased as that is us. I think it's pretty clear they've decided people like us will come no matter what, and if they do slowly price some of us out, they don't care. It's easier to focus on the once a lifers who will continue to trickle in and make their quarterly numbers look better. It won't bite them in the butt until years later when they don't have as many kids growing up being nostalgic about it and wanting to come back every year, and Universal DOES.

What I’m saying is, I think they’re just trying to squeeze money out of the same segment. They may price some people out, but there’s still more that will just suck it up and pay because Disney.

Charging more without changing the product much doesn’t say to me they’re trying to attract wealthier clientele.

I don’t agree with the commonly argued belief that Disney is attempting to attract mostly wealthy guests. Anyone truly wealthy I know either skips Disney all together, or goes a couple times with their kids. They also weren’t throwing around money like some like to believe here, without Disney blinders on (like so many of us have) at least 2 separate couples I know refused to pay Disney’s high prices for resorts as they couldn’t see the value there. Rich people don’t get that way by throwing around $80 per person for a 20 minute firework show.

Most people I know who aren’t already seasoned Disney veterans have always thought a Disney vacation was expensive. I think most price increases change very little for the casual guest, and for the obsessive guests among us, I just don’t think they’ve come anywhere near the breaking point yet.

That’s not to say I like how high the prices for most things have gotten, or the extras they now charge for, but I think they’re still trying to squeeze money out of ultimately the same group of people.
They aren't trying to attract the truly wealthy. They're trying to attract the upper middle class exclusively and pushing everyone else under that out.

They aren't trying to attract the truly wealthy. They're trying to attract the upper middle class exclusively and pushing everyone else under that out.

I still disagree.

For the most part, all they’ve changed are the prices not the offerings, unless you look at the extras outside of what a regular ticket gets. Hotel prices have gone up up up but you still get what you got in years past, the same goes for food prices. They are slowly adding to the parks, but not what they would be doing to make be believe they’re trying to shut out a class of people and attract wealthier. I think they are banking off their belief that hardcore Disney fans, the guests who come over and over, will continue to do so and will take money from other areas in their budgets, and that once in a lifetimers are not very price sensitive.

The dessert parties are not for us. They are way too expensive for our family of 5.
That being said, I do believe there is "value" in the fact that you do not have to "scout out" your viewing spot almost 1.5 hours prior to the start of HEA allowing you to take advantage of more rides likely with shorter waits and to have a spacious unobstructed view for your entire family.
After a horrible experience of trying to view HEA last year, I can see why people are willing to pay for a better experience. I would almost feel better if Disney called this what it is- "Viewing Experience" rather than try to sell it as a "dessert party". I could be wrong, but I don't think the sparking cider and cupcakes are what is actually drawing guests to pay for this.

I believe they’re still trying to attract the same customers they always have. The ones with emotional attachments to Disney, regardless of their annual incomes. .
Agree -- just look at the commercials advertising a "magical" experience with princesses and stormtroopers walking around. They plan on the emotions (and it works for a lot of us).

Just like these extra Disney experiences. WDW is doing a great job of getting people to spend more money for extra magical or special experiences while they are there .. if they choose. Just like how a movie theatre sells concessions at insane prices. They could easily let people bring in their own snacks for free, but instead they charge $10 for a bucket of popcorn to capture the "trapped" market. I don't have to buy $10 popcorn (and don't), but plenty of other people do. Is going to the movies for the wealthy?

I rarely spend $40+/person on a meal at home -- yet I gladly do it at Disney. I am there and the ambience is up my alley (as a Disney fan) and because of the emotional experience I get while watching my kids dance around the room with a character like Donald Duck (that I have an emotional attachment to from MY childhood).

But that is why the parking fee thing rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was simply charging for something that was free yesterday for zero added value.

If Disney wanted to attract wealthy guests only? They would just need to make it exclusive. Like make the theme parks available to only DVC members or something, basically creating a "membership" fee like exclusive country clubs and such.

Agree -- just look at the commercials advertising a "magical" experience with princesses and stormtroopers walking around. They plan on the emotions (and it works for a lot of us).

Just like these extra Disney experiences. WDW is doing a great job of getting people to spend more money for extra magical or special experiences while they are there .. if they choose. Just like how a movie theatre sells concessions at insane prices. They could easily let people bring in their own snacks for free, but instead they charge $10 for a bucket of popcorn to capture the "trapped" market. I don't have to buy $10 popcorn (and don't), but plenty of other people do. Is going to the movies for the wealthy?

I rarely spend $40+/person on a meal at home -- yet I gladly do it at Disney. I am there and the ambience is up my alley (as a Disney fan) and because of the emotional experience I get while watching my kids dance around the room with a character like Donald Duck (that I have an emotional attachment to from MY childhood).

But that is why the parking fee thing rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was simply charging for something that was free yesterday for zero added value.

If Disney wanted to attract wealthy guests only? They would just need to make it exclusive. Like make the theme parks available to only DVC members or something, basically creating a "membership" fee like exclusive country clubs and such.

Even the parking increases, that screams to me squeezing money out of our current client base, not attracting a new demographic.

That really depends on how you look at it. They are offering added experiences for those who choose to pay for them. I don't consider that pricing anyone out, I consider that trying to attract a class that may not have considered WDW because it didn't offer them more "luxuries" compared to other destinations.
None of those extra costs are being forced on anyone under a certain class, if they were you could say they are trying to push everyone else out. Everyone regardless of class still pays the same admission price. Yes you can argue that they've raised that (and added parking) but that is not exclsuive to WDW, that is across the board when it comes to vacation destinations, especially ones that are "once in a lifetime" destinations. Which for many WDW is.

I wouldn't say that Disney overall is targeting the wealthy (which would be commercial suicide when you're trying to pull in 10-15 million guests annually per park), but that they're aiming for the one-time or infrequent visitors (who may tend to spend or splurge more on the experience than the guest who goes every year or more often). If you're only going to WDW once, or only go every 5 to 10 years or so, why not indulge, right? At least I think that's how the thinking goes here (with the aside that higher prices may be self-actualizing in this regard if they push frequent guests to become infrequent guests who nevertheless end up spending more on fewer visits).

I'd also say that there's a distinction to be made between price increases in the "base" experience (tickets, but might also include food and lodging), and "premium" experiences (dessert parties, tours, EMM, dining packages for things like CP and RoL, character meals, club level, etc). For the latter, you're paying more for extras and exclusivity - and price increases affect those already willing to pay a premium above what a ticket gets you. I can buy that Disney is targeting the more affluent for the "premium" experiences (selling exclusivity generally is for the wealthy or those who want to appear to be), but not the "base" experience. Now - there's a whole separate debate to be had about moving features of the "base" experience to the "premium" experience, but the dessert parties have always been in the latter category.

I wouldn't say that Disney overall is targeting the wealthy (which would be commercial suicide when you're trying to pull in 10-15 million guests annually per park), but that they're aiming for the one-time or infrequent visitors (who may tend to spend or splurge more on the experience than the guest who goes every year or more often). If you're only going to WDW once, or only go every 5 to 10 years or so, why not indulge, right? At least I think that's how the thinking goes here (with the aside that higher prices may be self-actualizing in this regard if they push frequent guests to become infrequent guests who nevertheless end up spending more on fewer visits).

I'd also say that there's a distinction to be made between price increases in the "base" experience (tickets, but might also include food and lodging), and "premium" experiences (dessert parties, tours, EMM, dining packages for things like CP and RoL, character meals, club level, etc). For the latter, you're paying more for extras and exclusivity - and price increases affect those already willing to pay a premium above what a ticket gets you. I can buy that Disney is targeting the more affluent for the "premium" experiences (selling exclusivity generally is for the wealthy or those who want to appear to be), but not the "base" experience. Now - there's a whole separate debate to be had about moving features of the "base" experience to the "premium" experience, but the dessert parties have always been in the latter category.

You are absolutely correct. Disney is after the once in x years crowd. They are the ones to that come in and spend the $. I am the worst type of customer. I have an AP. I stay offsite, only on special occasions do I eat on site. Other than beer and a snack or souvenir for someone I don't spend any money. I just tie up resources.

LOL @jkh36619 with the $70 price increase for APs in February, I think they were trying to get rid of people like you.

Obviously, it was a different time all together, but we did Free Dining in August in 2008, 2009 and 2010. We stayed at Pop Century with 2 Disney “adults” and got the regular Dining Plans. In 2008, we got our neighbors to join us; then our best friends in 2010. It cost $82 per night, and we had to buy only a one day ticket.

Those were the days!

But you know something? We tipped well at every TS meal, bought a LOT of drinks, and purchased at least 7 day tickets. The kids spend a boatload of money in the arcades and bought themselves many souvenirs.

So yeah, we went and got a great bargain, but we still spent a decent amount of money. My point is that when they cut people a break, many of them will still spend lots of money. We sure did. :)

I am part of the once in X years crowd as we live 24 hours away by car and go there about every 4 or 5 years. In years past we would splurge and spend more than we would because we don't go often. They have priced me off property with their massive price hikes for resorts and now the parking. We will still go, but will limit TS to once or twice a trip vs almost once a day, so 5 or so less TS. We also probably will not have park hoppers next time as well. They are out a great deal of money from me, plus we now will spend a day or 2 less and add those to their direct competition, and a good chance we also stay over there our entire trip.

If I am their coveted market, they are failing badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!