Fireworks party price increase

It's got nothing to do with food. It's a matter of seeing how much people will pay to get out of the crowds.
Which, ironically, are the same crowds that Disney used to justify the increase in ticket prices so as to thin them out (which, in theory, would have reduced the sardine-factor and lowered - not raised - the demand/cost for premium dessert party viewing). You'd almost think they wanted it both ways. But I've stopped trying to figure out if there's any logic behind the price increases.

We’re planning on doing the party next visit as we want to see HEA, as opposed to standing for ages to get what we thought was going to be a semi-decent view only for people to roll up ten minutes before and push their way through the crowds and stand directly in front of us, followed by several blokes’ hairy arms being raised to film the entire show and block our view once it started. Seriously, what do people do with all this footage they film all day long?

So we’re going to give the party a go and if it’s rubbish and not worth it, lesson learnt and we won’t do any others

We’re planning on doing the party next visit as we want to see HEA, as opposed to standing for ages to get what we thought was going to be a semi-decent view only for people to roll up ten minutes before and push their way through the crowds and stand directly in front of us, followed by several blokes’ hairy arms being raised to film the entire show and block our view once it started. Seriously, what do people do with all this footage they film all day long?

So we’re going to give the party a go and if it’s rubbish and not worth it, lesson learnt and we won’t do any others
I make videos.

I think Disney wants to turn some people away. If they can charge more with all these price increases and reduce crowds along with reducing staff they will become much more profitable. And they know they can lure people back anytime they want.

And they know they can lure people back anytime they want.

That's true .. all these price increases (for hotels, tickets, parties) just set a "base" price that they can later "discount" if needed (even though a discounted price is probably more than the normal price from just a few years ago). Personally, it doesn't seem like they need to discount anything lately.

It doesn't bother me that they are charging $80 now. People have a right to spend their money any way they want. I don't have to buy it. It does bother me when the park closes early for a special event, but the admission price does not reflect the cut in hours. Or the whole pay for parking at resorts now.

Disney is in business to make money. They will keep raising prices till people stop buying.
All companies are in business to make money. Many just aren't quite so obvious about it.

Some comment that people will pay whatever Disney charges. Some will but many can't because they don't have the money. Disney definitely isn't a charity but potentially pricing visitors out is still a shame.

I remember when it was $30-40 in 2012 when we first did the dessert party and Tomorrowland Terrace was the only option for viewing (so to get a good view you had to stand at the railing at the terrace, otherwise people would stand in front of the tables). There was a special Photopass photographer there (or two) and we got great desserts (and took a few extras for later, lol).

Then, fast forward to 2017 when we did it again and it was in the high $50s for the garden view and high $70s for the TT view. Except with TT view, you could no longer get up to stand at the railing, everyone sat at their tables. We still did it, ate our desserts, went to the garden view.

It's a good idea if you don't want to stake out a place hours in advance. I look at it at spending money for a good view of the fireworks. I know I wouldn't eat that much in desserts - although at $5/pop for each chocolate covered strawberry, maybe it would be possible, lol.

Somebody posted their trip dates for mid-November on the Theme Parks board, and MK has 4 party nights inside a week. Are there seriously that many people willing to pay about $100 per person to go to a Christmas party in the middle of November?

Anybody going that week is hosed. MK will close at 6:00 four nights and the other three days will be slammed with crowds. Just try seeing HEA that trip. Oh, wait for the low price of only $84 per person plus tax and admission, you can see it just fine and get a cup of sparkling juice too.

I am one of those people :(. 4 of the 6 days in November (11th through 16th) of my trip are party days.
I don't mind that much though .. I plan on just going on a party day and being okay with leaving early (as I am going with my young kids (6 and 2)). So if the park is less crowded on a party day .. I am okay with that, though it will be disappointing to not be able to see HEA without going on a crowded day).

It makes sense . .they use the parties as ways to draw people to vacation in the "off" times (which is obvious because they don't have any parties the following week (Thanksgiving week).

It's got nothing to do with food. It's a matter of seeing how much people will pay to get out of the crowds.
Right .. Disney is all about finding ways to get people to pay to avoid the crowds. .. and its obviously working. The demand is high, so they can charge whatever they want.

You'll see EMHs go away (or be shrunk down even more) in favor of more "Early Morning Magic events"

How many people would line up and give Disney a blank check for an opportunity to enter SWGE an hour before the general public? A ton! (I know I'd be tempted rather than be disappointed to not get a FP or sit in a 2+ hour line).

Let's face it .. paying for something Magical is still "magical" to those paying for it.

Once they have better attractions at Epcot .. I am sure they will have some type of Early Morning Magic or "tour" (like they have at AK) in EVERY park to basically bypass the crowds for popular attractions. A way to basically charge for an extra fast pass .. without actually charging for the regular fast passes.

Just out of curiosity @tlmadden73, when you planned this trip, did you expect anything like this? I mean, I guess you may have expected a party or two, but I doubt you expected four of them.

Last year, posters on this forum would respond to complaints about excessive party nights by saying, “You knew when you planned your trip that it was party season so you should have expected it.”

I didn’t like that when I saw it back then. Not everyone is as educated on WDW as Disboard regulars. But regardless—even the most seasoned WDW traveler could not have anticipated four parties the week you’re going or the four parties in the month of August.

That garden space was open to the public for decades, then it became a Fastpass only spot until someone came up with the idea of expanding the dessert party offerings.

The Tomorrowland Terrace was where they started the dessert party. When demand grew, they took away the FP area and now they sell it packaged with some cake.

This garden area didn't even exist until Spring of 2015 and both sides started out as a FP+ spots.

Around the hub they increased the area that the general public can stand within a good viewing angle by at least 1/3rd (not counting the FP+ now dessert party garden area)

If the East side garden area is used for the Dessert party what is the West side used for now?

We used the garden area in March 2015 right after it opened via FP+. It was outstanding to just stroll up 30min before the projection show with the already packed public areas and get a prime spot.

We are planning on doing this garden dessert party for our March 2020 trip but the price increase this will likely cause us to reduce or cut some other premium experience that we have penciled in.

When they 1st started this desert party thing I actually thought what a good idea Disney makes more money (and spends almost nothing on it) and if people don't want to stand and get a good spot well of well let them pay for it. Now that its approaching the price of a ticket when I plan vacations for people I point out the pick pocket (parking fees) and suggest that they don't pay for these upcharge events. Use the money to pay for the parking and when you leave send an email explaining what you did and why. I will repeat what I am said in the past.. when the 1st economic downturn hits Disney's upper management is going to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off blaming each other.

I will repeat what I am said in the past.. when the 1st economic downturn hits Disney's upper management is going to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off blaming each other.
That is so true.

when the 1st economic downturn hits Disney's upper management is going to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off blaming each other.

IMO, all these upcharges and premium offerings are shutting out entire segments of the popular.

When the economy goes downhill (and I think it’s very fragile right now), they can throw out discounts and attract some folks, but they are giving WDW a reputation for being too pricey.

Disney’s empire is a house of cards. So many things are dependent on each other—the parks attract visitors, but the resorts and restaurants need to be filled if they want to keep enough staff to run them.

They need volume to keep the whole operation running, and where they will find it in a downturn, I just don’t know.

This garden area didn't even exist until Spring of 2015 and both sides started out as a FP+ spots.

Around the hub they increased the area that the general public can stand within a good viewing angle by at least 1/3rd (not counting the FP+ now dessert party garden area)

If the East side garden area is used for the Dessert party what is the West side used for now?
A portion of the west side is being used for club level guests who buy the 3 extra FPs and then get viewing for some of the nighttime fireworks shows, the rest is open to anybody. And the club level thing is brand new, that area has been open to everybody since they stopped the FPs for the fireworks.

A portion of the west side is being used for club level guests who buy the 3 extra FPs and then get viewing for some of the nighttime fireworks shows, the rest is open to anybody. And the club level thing is brand new, that area has been open to everybody since they stopped the FPs for the fireworks.

Ah so premium and premium plus areas only now instead of FP+ for all.

I can only speak to the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party. I booked this a few days ago for July and it was cheaper than I had expected. I believe it is quoted at $79 per adult and $45 per kid. I am guessing due to using my Disney Chase Visa I received a discount but they only showed up as $66 and $38 which is more than 10%. Those of you with a Disney Visa, this may be worth looking into for possible discounts on the HEA dessert party? My bill did not explicitly state that a discount was included but apparently so!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter