Fire pit rules - confused!

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
What are the rules for fire pits at the Fort? Some sources say it must have a hard top, others say a mesh top is acceptable in certain locations. I can't find anything directly from Disney. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Thanks Bama Ed. That was always my understanding but I saw the other claim and it made me wonder. Would love to be able to use our portable pit for our trip, but it has a mesh top. I just can't see buying a new pit for one trip to the Fort!

If you have a piece of metal you can put on the top, it is now a hard top. Like a convertible.

1) Some people try to use a pit with a "bowl"-type mesh top.
2) This is not allowed.
3) And, yes, we do stop people from using unapproved pits.
4) We have had people put out the fire and re-start it later that night or on another night.
5) These folks were asked (not so politely) to leave the campground immediately.
6) It is not worth the risk of an ember escaping through a mesh-top and starting a fire with all the pine trees in the campground.
7) And, yes, embers can go through a mess top.
8) Please see the Fire Pit brochure, below.

NOTE: This is one of the very few rules that CM's and Security enforce, and CAN get your thrown out of the campground..

wdw-fw-fire-pits-approved.jpg

We are always completely exhausted by the time we come back to our campsite. Never have invested in a Disney approved fire pit. Just too easy to get our fix over at Chip & Dale's campfire if we really want to make s'mores or something.

I'm actually glad that Disney strictly enforces the fire pit rules. There are just too many people camping there that are not otherwise campers, and may not realize how quickly things can go south with a campfire.

We always stay in a cabin and last year, our neighbors decided to use their grill as a fire pit. You should have seen the huge fire they got going in it. Embers were flying everywhere. I called the front desk and it was addressed right away.

1) Some people try to use a pit with a "bowl"-type mesh top.
2) This is not allowed.
3) And, yes, we do stop people from using unapproved pits.
4) We have had people put out the fire and re-start it later that night or on another night.
5) These folks were asked (not so politely) to leave the campground immediately.
6) It is not worth the risk of an ember escaping through a mesh-top and starting a fire with all the pine trees in the campground.
7) And, yes, embers can go through a mess top.
8) Please see the Fire Pit brochure, below.

NOTE: This is one of the very few rules that CM's and Security enforce, and CAN get your thrown out of the campground..

View attachment 266835
so the F nd and Snd one is approved because i saw them at walmart

so the F nd and Snd one is approved because i saw them at walmart

1) If they look like the ones on the Approved List, you are OK.
2) Be careful of discount store fire pits, as the mesh holes are sometimes pretty large, letting embers escape.
3) Common sense applies.
4) You can ask at the Concierge Desk or Front Desk if yours is approved. (If not, you can always get a refund from Walmart.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!