Finding the Silver Lining in All of This

I agree, wait and see. But if deluxe guests start finding out they paid a lot more for the same accommodations as others, let the games begin.
Totally agree. I’ve heard value would be moved to a moderate. I guess only time will tell. I was originally booked at Boardwalk but have had to move my trip twice. This third time I threw my hands up and just moved to AOA to save the money and be near the skyliner.

Totally agree. I’ve heard value would be moved to a moderate. I guess only time will tell. I was originally booked at Boardwalk but have had to move my trip twice. This third time I threw my hands up and just moved to AOA to save the money and be near the skyliner.
If I'd have known about the park reservation system (with no hopping) I would have changed resorts as well. Primary reason to be in a deluxe is location.

If I'd have known about the park reservation system (with no hopping) I would have changed resorts as well. Primary reason to be in a deluxe is location.
Exactly. Which is why my personal opinion (not that Disney cares...) is that those staying at a deluxe location should be offered a discount or even a nightly credit.

My silver linings.

I had a May trip then had to rebook this with a FD trip in September. Now I will be canceling that and rebooking for a later date. Silver lining - the third trip should be during a much cooler time and hopefully I will get the 35% off room offer.

You can now add gift cards and Disney reward card to mobile ordering!! It is about time!!!!

My AP expiration date will go from 11/17/20 to at least the middle of March. This gives me four months when the weather is much nicer.

The parks should be less crowded.

I know a lot of people are upset and disappointed with their plans and trips being ruined. These last few months have really been stressful probably for all of us!
I am an essential worker and have been working full-time outside the home, while trying to homeschool my three young children after extremely long work days. I am exhausted and soooo need a vacation.

I was originally supposed to go to NYC in April and also Hawaii in July for 3 weeks, but both had to be cancelled. I was very sad to lose these trips, and to lose a lot of money too!

I am now trying to make Disney work for us in July before school should hopefully start again in August.

I do know my situation is different than others, and since I know this isn’t a once in a lifetime trip we are really hoping to still make the best of it. We are passholders and we typically visit a couple times a year for 2 weeks at a time. We live in CA, and last week I booked resort reservations for July.

With all these changes to fastpasses, park hopping, magic hours, dining, mask requirements, lack of fireworks, attractions etc... it gets really tough.
However, I am determined to make the best of it.

For those of us still trying to go and praying we can actually get park reservations I thought we can think of some things that we actually can look forward to. Here is my list:

1. All my dining reservations are being cancelled, but maybe this means I will eat somewhere new that I never before considered, and find new favorites!
2. The parks are closing earlier than I would like, but maybe I will actually get a more restful type of vacation than usual.
3. I have to wear a mask in the horrible Florida heat, but wow I found the cutest Disney masks on Etsy today for me and family. That will be me in the shimmery Ariel mermaid tail mask!
4. If resort pools open I have to probably wear a mask on the deck while my kids swim, but maybe this will make me actually get in the water this time, and have fun with my kids swimming. They would love that!
4. I will be at Disney in Florida, in the miserable heat, but at least I won’t be at work!
5. All of my fastpasses are being cancelled, but maybe I can relax more instead of stressing about getting everyone to the attractions on time and checking my watch constantly.
6. With options being limited at Disney maybe I can explore more of the Orlando area and other attractions like I always wanted to, but never could squeeze in.

Anyone have others to add?

I have to tell you, I love your post. There are so many negative 'black cloud' posts to hold us over. I love the idea of sneaking a peak at some positives - even if they are in the eye of the beholder! So many people are angry - and it's mostly out of our control due to a dangerous virus.

My silver linings are much higher-level. I'm really glad to see momentum moving back towards things reopening- especially WDW. It's not a surprise there are going to be pains and problems getting a place as complex at WDW back up and running. There will be changes and sacrifices early on. Some will sacrifice more than others based on previous plans. But we're taking baby steps that will lead us back to something closer to normal in the upcoming months and years.

Hope you have fun finding some new dining options! We've had a rule for years now - we always eat at a place each trip that we've never done before - it's a fun way to expand our experiences!

Thanks for the post. I appreciate the positive spin during a nasty time.

I can jump on the silver lining train.
First the dark cloud at the beginning...We had close-to-perfect ADRs and FPs set up for our April vacation - I got everyone's first choices, all the hard-to-get fastpasses, it was our 5th year in a row doing the Star Wars race weekend, we had themed outfits and costumes...I was sad all those were cancelled.
We rebooked for the end of August because we have expiring DVC points to use, but I didn't put any effort into making reservations. Because I rescheduled that trip inside the dining reservation window, anything we really wanted wasn't available. Dare I say I was almost happy to receive the email this morning that all plans were cancelled? :rolleyes1
We are frequent visitors, so I look at this as an opportunity to experience the parks a different way.

I'll hop on this train :love: We are booked for September. I'm actually happy about the precautions they're taking. They make me feel more comfortable so that I can have a vacation at all this year when all my other travel plans were cancelled.

We didn't have a lot of must-dos this trip. I am hopeful that we can still get a table at Via Napoli and Brown Derby on a seven night trip. We booked September despite the heat to have low crowds and it looks like I will actually get my wish! :cloud9: The last couple of trips, we have talked about slowing down but we have a hard time following through, lol. So I'm hopeful that there will be days where we can eat breakfast at our resort, then mosey over to Epcot if they're opening later. I want to soak up the atmosphere without huge crowds, ride a few things, and grab a beer outside somewhere.

OP, I just wanted to thank you one essential worker to another. People really don't get how hard it's been. I have been back in the office for the past 2 weeks after being on a yo-yo roller coaster of WFH and going to field sites. The exhaustion and fear is real.

I didn't expect my lizard brain to want to go down so badly, but weirdly enough that was my kneejerk response to the announcements, just to experience this uncharted territory. Without a concrete answer on quarantine reqs for New Yorkers and an at risk person at home though, I don't know when I'll be able to go anywhere much less WDW. I hope you can get some relief and recharge your batteries.

OP, so many on this board tried to rain on my parade when Dorian was off the coast during my trip last Sept, but we stayed and had the ABSOLUTE BEST time!! Happy we didn't listen to the naysayers and were rewarded with an almost empty MK :) I have a feeling this will turn out to be similar - expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised with a better-than-expected trip.

My silver linings:

1. Low crowds.
2. Maybe getting to eat at one of the restaurants that are always booked up right at 180 days :) Or at least trying something new for dining (Ale & Compass, Sebastian's, Cali Grill, and Chefs de France are all on my wishlist!)
3. Finally getting to ride the Skyliner (we just missed the opening last year)
4. Staying at a Deluxe resort for the very first time!
5. Getting to experience something truly unique

This is a fantastic idea....my silver linings:

1. Not so rushed
2. Less crowded
3. No worries on keeping the kids out too late having them grumpy in the morning, due to no fireworks or late park hours (hopefully other kids will be this way too and I will see less meltdowns)
4. New Disney stuff to master.....the new Reservation system. Learning the ins and outs of Disney is a hobby and distraction from busy work life
5. Cleaner parks with hand sanitizer everywhere! I won't have to dig it out of my bag or purse, stands will be everywhere!
6. Once in a lifetime Disney experience, you can say you went during the strange COVID-19 times;)

Gonna make the best of it......just wish I could get back my extra hour of sleep I missed Monday making my ADRs. LOL!

My silver lining? Rescheduling from hot, humid August/September for my favorite time of year - Christmas at Walt Disney World! I am hopeful that things will be running smoothly by December, even though I anticipate it won't be the "same" as my last visit. And you know what? That's okay. If I have to wear a face covering, I'd rather have it be during cooler weather! :)

@DisneyMommy77 thank you for this beautiful post. It’s lovely to read among all of the complaining and doom and gloom. My silver lining is that they’re OPENING!!!!! Sure, it’ll be different, but they’re OPEN and I know I for one will be so appreciative when I drive through those gates!!

The other silver lining is I’m scheduled to be there when Epcot and Hollywood reopen, so if I can get it, I think it will be really cool to be there on reopening day!

We're a group of 9 going July 18-25! I literally just posted the following in our group text:

COVID-Completely Outstanding Vacation in Disney - 10 Great Things about our trip:
1) No Work!
2) Lower crowds
3) No stressing to make it to FP before they expire
4) No stressing to make it to ADR's before we miss them
5) Plane ride (we don't normally fly so this was a treat for some of our group)
6) NO WORK!
7) No walking 15 miles every day resulting in sore feet
8) No getting rammed with strollers
9) Nobody stomping on your feet
10) Nobody in my space that I don't want there.
BONUS: NO WORK!!!!!

Silver Lining baby!!!!

I know a lot of people are upset and disappointed with their plans and trips being ruined. These last few months have really been stressful probably for all of us!
I am an essential worker and have been working full-time outside the home, while trying to homeschool my three young children after extremely long work days. I am exhausted and soooo need a vacation.

I was originally supposed to go to NYC in April and also Hawaii in July for 3 weeks, but both had to be cancelled. I was very sad to lose these trips, and to lose a lot of money too!

I am now trying to make Disney work for us in July before school should hopefully start again in August.

I do know my situation is different than others, and since I know this isn’t a once in a lifetime trip we are really hoping to still make the best of it. We are passholders and we typically visit a couple times a year for 2 weeks at a time. We live in CA, and last week I booked resort reservations for July.

With all these changes to fastpasses, park hopping, magic hours, dining, mask requirements, lack of fireworks, attractions etc... it gets really tough.
However, I am determined to make the best of it.

For those of us still trying to go and praying we can actually get park reservations I thought we can think of some things that we actually can look forward to. Here is my list:

1. All my dining reservations are being cancelled, but maybe this means I will eat somewhere new that I never before considered, and find new favorites!
2. The parks are closing earlier than I would like, but maybe I will actually get a more restful type of vacation than usual.
3. I have to wear a mask in the horrible Florida heat, but wow I found the cutest Disney masks on Etsy today for me and family. That will be me in the shimmery Ariel mermaid tail mask!
4. If resort pools open I have to probably wear a mask on the deck while my kids swim, but maybe this will make me actually get in the water this time, and have fun with my kids swimming. They would love that!
4. I will be at Disney in Florida, in the miserable heat, but at least I won’t be at work!
5. All of my fastpasses are being cancelled, but maybe I can relax more instead of stressing about getting everyone to the attractions on time and checking my watch constantly.
6. With options being limited at Disney maybe I can explore more of the Orlando area and other attractions like I always wanted to, but never could squeeze in.

Anyone have others to add?
Love this!!! 😍

@DisneyMommy77 thank you for this beautiful post. It’s lovely to read among all of the complaining and doom and gloom. My silver lining is that they’re OPENING!!!!! Sure, it’ll be different, but they’re OPEN and I know I for one will be so appreciative when I drive through those gates!!

The other silver lining is I’m scheduled to be there when Epcot and Hollywood reopen, so if I can get it, I think it will be really cool to be there on reopening day!
I hope you get in for their opening too! That would be cool. We have dates booked 7/10-7/28, so we might see you there. Have a wonderful time!

We're a group of 9 going July 18-25! I literally just posted the following in our group text:

COVID-Completely Outstanding Vacation in Disney - 10 Great Things about our trip:
1) No Work!
2) Lower crowds
3) No stressing to make it to FP before they expire
4) No stressing to make it to ADR's before we miss them
5) Plane ride (we don't normally fly so this was a treat for some of our group)
6) NO WORK!
7) No walking 15 miles every day resulting in sore feet
8) No getting rammed with strollers
9) Nobody stomping on your feet
10) Nobody in my space that I don't want there.
BONUS: NO WORK!!!!!

Silver Lining baby!!!!
I love this! I now need a shirt that says this!
I also thought of another silver lining:
No more being told to move forward and use all available space in front of us. Yay!

OP, I just wanted to thank you one essential worker to another. People really don't get how hard it's been. I have been back in the office for the past 2 weeks after being on a yo-yo roller coaster of WFH and going to field sites. The exhaustion and fear is real.

I didn't expect my lizard brain to want to go down so badly, but weirdly enough that was my kneejerk response to the announcements, just to experience this uncharted territory. Without a concrete answer on quarantine reqs for New Yorkers and an at risk person at home though, I don't know when I'll be able to go anywhere much less WDW. I hope you can get some relief and recharge your batteries.
Thank you to you as well! I have been covering the work of 7 people since March, so I am exhausted. I work in Social Services, so we have been extremely busy with all the people needing help during this time.

Thank you to you as well! I have been covering the work of 7 people since March, so I am exhausted. I work in Social Services, so we have been extremely busy with all the people needing help during this time.

Thank you for the work you do. I imagine on a "normal" day it's stressful, can't imagine what it's like right now with the influx of people needing help and the lack of human resources in your department. You deserve a vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter