Finding my "spark" again! An April 2020 trip to the Poly with my love - A litle about us

DisM3rmaid

DVC Owner and Forever Disney Nerd
Hey everyone!:wave:

Welcome to my PTR! I have been a long time DisBoards user, I’m talking 2008, back when I was first planning Disney trips, and my eventual Disney wedding. However, as you can see from my “earning my ears” tag, and the fact that my signature has a DBF and not a DH, I went through some STUFF. So… that being said, buckle up, and let’s start with the who, what, where, when, and why of this trip, shall we?

Who: This trip will consist of me, DisM3rmaid 🧜‍♀️ and my wonderful DBF "B" :darth:

What: This trip will be our first trip to WDW together, and DBF’s first stay on property

Where: Since this is “B’s” first time on property, I am doing this big! We are staying at the Polynesian Villas, lake view (tried for MK view, but alas, none were available):beach:

When: April 2020 Flower and Garden baby!🌺

Why: This is a twofold/complex answer, the most obvious answer is that this DisM3rmaid loves her some Disney, and luckily I’ve found an amazing man who loves it too! Why would I not want to share a WDW trip with my significant other? Duh! The more complex answer is this, (this will get a little heavy for a minute but I promise overall this will be a very happy and positive PTR), in early 2018 I went through a really crappy divorce. I grew up a Disney kid. I went on tons of WDW vacations as a child, I was engaged, married, and honeymooned in WDW. My ex and I went on countless WDW trips, made friends through the Disney community, and enjoyed DCL. After he cheated, and decided to leave me for another woman I was pretty broken. I was also really sad that a very happy place for me may be ruined. That being said, I did go to WDW with my DSis and her DBF for a quick long weekend in the fall of 2018. It was hard, things made me cry, but I powered through with a lot of love and support. (And some liquid courage courtesy of food and wine). Although I powered through, I wasn’t sure if I could ever do a trip again that would get me excited and feel that WDW magic again. Fast forward to this past September when I met “B”.💕 I never thought I would click with someone the way I click with him. I tried dating at the beginning of 2019 but wasn’t finding much (news flash, dating in your 30’s is pretty terrible). After my birthday in August I told everyone I was taking a break from dating after a disastrous string of dates. However, I took a chance on a guy that a friend of mine introduced me to. We went on three dates and have been inseparable ever since. (talk about chemistry!) The more we got to know each other, the more we discovered how much we had in common and how nerdy we were and that we were both big kids at heart! Next thing I knew, we were talking Disney and the rest is history. I have the spark back!!:lovestruc I’m beyond excited to plan this trip!! The few times “B” has been, he only stayed off property and never ate in the parks (I know, I gasped too). I am pumped to show him a whole new world! (see what I did there?) And, in all seriousness, I think in a way I am going to be able to see WDW in a whole new light as well. I’ll be able to enjoy making new memories, continuing to heal this part of who I am, and find myself in this new relationship that is already going so well. I truly feel blessed to have met this amazing man. I was continually told that the “my person” would come along when the time was right… I am so grateful that “B” came along when he did.

So, that’s the 5 W’s of this trip. I am planning on printing this whole thing out and giving it to B someday. Maybe on the last day of our trip. He is someone who values sentimental things, and I think he would appreciate it. I also don’t think he realizes how much time and (boarder line neurotic) effort I’m putting into planning this trip. I am so happy to be with a wonderful man, and the fact that he is helping me get excited about a WDW trip again! So if this is the type of PTR you’d like to follow along with, please do! I’d love to share the experience!:cutie:

Up next: What’s planned so far? (just know it is going to change

Following along!

in early 2018 I went through a really crappy divorce. I grew up a Disney kid. I went on tons of WDW vacations as a child, I was engaged, married, and honeymooned in WDW. My ex and I went on countless WDW trips, made friends through the Disney community, and enjoyed DCL.

I'm so sorry you went through that :hug:

he more we got to know each other, the more we discovered how much we had in common and how nerdy we were and that we were both big kids at heart! Next thing I knew, we were talking Disney and the rest is history. I have the spark back!
I was continually told that the “my person” would come along when the time was right… I am so grateful that “B” came along when he did.

But I'm glad you found someone who helped you get your spark back, that loves Disney too. It sounds like you're planning something great, and he'll get to try a lot of new things at Disney!

Hey Raeven!

I'm so glad you want to follow along! I am very happy I found someone like "B" too! He really is amazing and was able to not only give me my WDW Spark back, but also showed me that love is definitely still a thing that is going to a part of my life.

Let’s get into the nitty gritty of what I have planned currently, what I’m contemplating, and what may or may not change.

Day 1 – Arrival day! (Woot woot!)💃
  • We are taking the first flight out of RDU to MCO that morning! We will be landing at 6:30… DBF is going to kill me. He is NOT a morning person. I’m hoping he will sleep on the way to the airport, at the gate, and on the plane LOL!!
  • Coral Reef Dinner @ 5:55 (wanted an earlier dinner so that we could head back and get a good night’s sleep)
Day 2
  • Dining reservation at The Boathouse @7:15
Day 3
  • Ohana Character Breakfast @ 8:15
  • Fantasmic @ 8:30
Day 4
  • Dolphins in Depth @ 9:45
  • Behind the Seeds (at some point during the day)
  • Flying Fish @ 7:00
Day 5
  • California Grill Dinner @ 7:10 – hoping I timed it right for MK fireworks
Day 6 – Check out and head home
  • Flight home is at 6:20pm

That’s what I have so far. Things are definitely going to change but here is that I know I am definitely keeping;

Dining: Coral Reef, Ohana breakfast, and The Boathouse.

Activities: Fantasmic, Dolphins in Depth, Behind the Seeds

As far as which park and on which day, the only one that I know for sure is Day 4 because we will start the day in EPCOT for the Dolphins in Depth tour. Other than that, we probably won’t decide which park to go to until we get our fastpasses.

I’m contemplating changing up California Grill and heading over to MK for dinner at Skipper Canteen. That way we can hang out in MK until the fireworks. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the MK fireworks from inside the park and that may be a lot of fun with "B". I also need to figure out when I’m going to see the new EPCOT fireworks show. So much to do!!!

What am I missing? What are your thoughts? Would you switch up Cali Grill for Skipper Canteen to watch the fireworks in the park? Any other dining spots I should take “B” to since he has never eaten on WDW property? What about things to do at resorts since he’s never been to any of them? I’m getting crazy (neurotic) with planning and keep second guessing everything… HELP!:rotfl2:

Reactions: DLo

I would keep California Grill. If you can get California Grill brunch then I would switch out the dinner for skipper canteen. I think California Grill is too delicious to pass up!

I would keep California Grill. If you can get California Grill brunch then I would switch out the dinner for skipper canteen. I think California Grill is too delicious to pass up!

I agree, it is SOOOO good. My only thought in removing it was because we have Flying Fish, and The Boathouse this trip as well. I know we will be back after this so maybe swapping out one of the signature dining restaurants wouldn't be a bad idea. Skipper Canteen is pretty good too and I do love the vibe in there. Decisions, Decisions!

That makes sense then! I always have to tell myself that this isn't the last time I will be in Disney so I don't have to cram it all in. We are doing Flying Fish for the first time next month and I'm super excited about it.

That makes sense then! I always have to tell myself that this isn't the last time I will be in Disney so I don't have to cram it all in. We are doing Flying Fish for the first time next month and I'm super excited about it.

OMG flying fish is one of my absolute FAVORITES!!!! I'm a pescatarian so i usually have to ask for the vegetarian menu at most restaurants, here I typically don't and the entrees are incredible! and if you're a wino like me... their wine selection is to die for!

Would you switch up Cali Grill for Skipper Canteen to watch the fireworks in the park?

I think that would work better, just because the projections in the fireworks are pretty cool and are a big part of the show.

Any other dining spots I should take “B” to since he has never eaten on WDW property?

Some other ones to look at: Boma, Sanaa, Shula's, and Homecomin. (Those are some of our favorites).

What about things to do at resorts since he’s never been to any of them?

Depending on what time of April you're going they may have the decorated Easter eggs out on display at some of them. Animal Kingdom Lodge is always pretty cool to explore too.

I think that would work better, just because the projections in the fireworks are pretty cool and are a big part of the show.

Some other ones to look at: Boma, Sanaa, Shula's, and Homecomin. (Those are some of our favorites).

Depending on what time of April you're going they may have the decorated Easter eggs out on display at some of them. Animal Kingdom Lodge is always pretty cool to explore too.

I agree with you! I've never seen the projections up close. I think i may be changing that reservation :rotfl2:

I LOVE Sanaa and Boma. My only concern with those is that "B" doesn't like anything spicy and I've learned that he likes to stay away from certain types of food due to that. Even something I don't find spicy seems to be super spicy to him. He is my delicate flower! 452854

I've actually never seen the Easter Eggs. Not sure we will see them as we are going to be there the first week of April. But if they are out I will definitely be scoping them out! And I definitely have thought about taking him to Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was where I originally had us booked for this trip until I noticed that the Poly was available. I have one reservation with AKL and BWV... they were part of my history with my ex and our Disney wedding. As much as I love both of those resorts, I may be steering clear of them. I'm actually contemplating removing my flying fish reservation for the same reason, even though it is my absolute favorite and I know "B" would love it there. I'm not sure how I'll feel about being back there again... is that weird?

So I realized that I never posted a picture of "B" and I. I'm sure you all would like to know who you're talking to, and what PTR wouldn't include pictures right?! DUH!

I think my next post will be a little more about us. It might help explain some of the reasons I picked certain things for us to do in WDW, and help you all when guiding me during the changes to my plans! LOL

So here we are apple picking! This was the third date I mentioned that we've been inseparable since.452860 And us with our two puppy girls
452859 💕:dogdance:452862

Attachments

• K&B1.jpg
    K&B1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 50
  • K&B2.jpg
    K&B2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 50
I LOVE Sanaa and Boma. My only concern with those is that "B" doesn't like anything spicy and I've learned that he likes to stay away from certain types of food due to that. Even something I don't find spicy seems to be super spicy to him. He is my delicate flower!

I'm a delicate flower when it comes to spices too, haha. Some of the stuff at Sanaa is too spicy for me, but Boma breakfast isn't too spicy :rotfl:

I've actually never seen the Easter Eggs. Not sure we will see them as we are going to be there the first week of April.

Ooo, I wasn't sure what week. I'm not sure if they'll be out the first week, but Easter is earlier this year so I guess it depends when they put them out.

I have one reservation with AKL and BWV... they were part of my history with my ex and our Disney wedding. As much as I love both of those resorts, I may be steering clear of them.

Ah, I understand.

I'm actually contemplating removing my flying fish reservation for the same reason, even though it is my absolute favorite and I know "B" would love it there. I'm not sure how I'll feel about being back there again... is that weird?

I don't think it's weird. Do what you think will feel best for you. There's other good seafood restaurants if you don't think going back to Flying Fish is a good idea.

Before I go much further into this PTR, I wanted to give a little background on to who B and I are, and why some of our plans are so “us”.

Let’s start with me!
Age: One I don’t like to talk about… and we will leave it there

Occupation: Account Manager for a medical company, which means I get paid to keep my companies biggest clients happy! It’s a great job, and I get to see some pretty awesome things because of it.

Favorite Park: This is such a tough one… Either Epcot or AK.

Favorite Disney Movie: Tie between the little mermaid and 20,000 leagues under the sea (bet you didn’t see that coming)
Fun Facts: I am a pescatarian, and have not had any meat (other than fish) since 2017. I own (and ride) a horse named Memphis. I’m a self-proclaimed mermaid (and have been since before it was cool). My favorite sports are hockey and soccer. I have a gorgeous greyhound who I rescued after she was retired from racing. I am originally from the north shore of Boston Massachusetts and grew up on boats and near the ocean. I have been living in NC for about a year. I have been an avid WDW lover since before I could walk and talk.

Now let’s talk about B

Age: A year younger than the age I don’t like to talk about. (I know, I’m basically a cougar)

Favorite Park: AK (I am like 90% sure)

Favorite Disney Movie: I’m honestly not sure about this one. I know he really liked Aladdin…. But I am going to have to get back to you on this one.

Fun Facts: B is TALL! 6’ 3” to be exact. He went to college in NC on a track and field scholarship and has lived in NC ever since. He is originally from New Jersey. He coaches three sports, High School Football, Middle School Basketball, and Middle School Track and Field. He owns a boat. Loves aquariums! He has three, and loves going to them as well. He has a beautiful black lab mix that he rescued. (she and my greyhound get along really well!)

As you can see, we both have a love of the ocean and animals. That’s why, since he has never eaten at a Disney restaurant, I NEEDED to take him to Coral Reef! I am hoping I can ask for a table right up against the tank. Plus, their Mahi Mahi entrée is incredible! We also were talking one day about bucket list things we wanted to do together and we both had swimming with dolphins on our list. Dolphins in Depth doesn’t let you swim with dolphins but hey, at least we are allowed to get in the water with them! B does landscaping on the side and during the summer break from school. He knows SO much about flowers, and trees it amazing. I am pretty excited that the flower and garden festival will be going on at Epcot while we are there. If there is someone who will appreciate Flower and Garden, it’s definitely B.

So there you have it! A little bit about us and who we are and why we are super excited for this trip. Next post, I’ll fill you all in on what we are doing between now and our trip. We have some fun things planned and even though some are not WDW related, I’d love to share them with you guys!​

Attachments

• KB5.jpg
    KB5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi!! I was really intrigued by your PTR title. I'm sorry you had to go through such a rough time last year, it must have been really tough. But you and your boyfriend look so cute together! That sounds like an amazing wonderful trip you have planned. I hope you get to find the spark with Disney again! Although it can bring up some old and painful memories, you have the rest of your lives to create new, better ones! Flower and Garden is my favorite time! My husband is also into gardening so he really enjoyed the F&G festival. I hope they bring back the seminars again next year. This year they had to cut them because there was no space to hold them. But since they had Food and Wine seminars in that event space in World Showcase, I hope they do the same for F&G.
As for Skipper's Canteen, I've only eaten there once but I think it's a good idea if you want to watch HEA. I wasn't too impressed with the food but they have changed the menu since I have been. I also really recommend Tiffins in AK . I love how they have lunch as well and it's a great place to sit and relax and have a delicious meal.
Looking forward to more of your planning!

Hi!! I was really intrigued by your PTR title. I'm sorry you had to go through such a rough time last year, it must have been really tough. But you and your boyfriend look so cute together! That sounds like an amazing wonderful trip you have planned. I hope you get to find the spark with Disney again! Although it can bring up some old and painful memories, you have the rest of your lives to create new, better ones! Flower and Garden is my favorite time! My husband is also into gardening so he really enjoyed the F&G festival. I hope they bring back the seminars again next year. This year they had to cut them because there was no space to hold them. But since they had Food and Wine seminars in that event space in World Showcase, I hope they do the same for F&G.
As for Skipper's Canteen, I've only eaten there once but I think it's a good idea if you want to watch HEA. I wasn't too impressed with the food but they have changed the menu since I have been. I also really recommend Tiffins in AK . I love how they have lunch as well and it's a great place to sit and relax and have a delicious meal.
Looking forward to more of your planning!
Thank you so much for following along! And I appreciate your kind words. I am definitely in a much better place in my life since all that happened, and B walked into my life at the exact right time. I couldn't be happier!

I am really hoping they bring back the Seminars too! I love them.

I've always had good meals at Skipper Canteen. I think it'll be a better decision for us overall. And I agree Tiffins is SOOOOO GOOD! I need to ease B into that though... I am definitely going to take him to Nomad Lounge though!

Today we are going to talk about the next 5 months before our trip and what we are doing to help the time go by.

November:
  • Thanksgiving I am going to NJ to meet B’s family…. Oh my!
    • Wednesday getting nails done with his mom and sister
    • Thanksgiving Thursday with his family
    • Meeting his Grandparents and Black Friday shopping
    • Saturday we are going to a tree farm in PA to chop down Christmas trees with the family and then heading back to NC
    • Sunday we are going to sleep in (since we are driving through the night), Then we are going to decorate the Christmas tree during the day, and ending the day doing to see Frozen 2! (yay!)
December:
  • Christmas!!!
    • B and I will be driving north together. I’ll drop him off in NJ with his family, and then I’ll be continuing on to Boston to be with my family the weekend before Christmas
    • On the 27th, B is going to fly from NJ to Boston to spend some time with me and meet my family. Not too sure what we are going to do yet but I’m working with my family to think of some fun “Boston” things to do.

January:
  • New Year’s Eve
    • Not sure if we are staying in Boston or coming back to NC. This is up in the air
February:
  • (This is a Disney one!!!) Valentine’s Day weekend at Disney’s Hilton Head Resort
    • I’ve never been to HHI and I am PUMPED! I love anything and everything low country! B is super excited too!
  • This is a BIG one…. I am closing on my brand new house on the 20th! Ever since I moved here after my divorce, I’ve been renting a house. I was able to find a new build, below my budget so I could add some awesome upgrades! I am slated to close on it on the 20th as long as everything goes well with the build.
March: - Pretty much just getting settled into the new house and not doing much of anything!

Little extras:
  • Disney food! I have two Disney Cookbooks from past trips, we decided we would cook one Disney meal a week to get ready. Last night I made Caribbean Shrimp Burgers from Olivia’s at OKW… omg to DIE FOR!
  • Obviously we will be watching Disney movies. We need to watch Frozen before we see Frozen 2 for sure.
  • Buying things for the trip. So far I bought us the “I love you” “…I know” Star wars shirts. I can’t wait to wear them at HS. I also have a neighbor who has her own small business and makes all kinds of custom items. I’m going to have her make a couple more shirts, and some tervis tumblers for that travel day early morning wake up call.
So those are some of the things to keep up busy between now and the trip. We definitely have a LOT going on! I am sure the months are going to fly by!

This is a BIG one…. I am closing on my brand new house on the 20th! Ever since I moved here after my divorce, I’ve been renting a house. I was able to find a new build, below my budget so I could add some awesome upgrades! I am slated to close on it on the 20th as long as everything goes well with the build.

Congrats!

Just chiming in to say y'all are adorable! How fun to share your love of Disney. And what a great idea to make things from the Disney cookbooks leading up to the trip! Following along :)

Just chiming in to say y'all are adorable! How fun to share your love of Disney. And what a great idea to make things from the Disney cookbooks leading up to the trip! Following along :)
Oh thank you so very much!!! That was so sweet of you!

And I LOVE cooking! I was so excited that B was willing to cook Disney things with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter