Finding my running groove (Comments Welcome)

My SIL really liked the salted watermelon one as well. It was what she used when she ran Chicago a few years ago. Glad to hear someone else likes it as well.

So I am the pickiest eater. I only eat certain types of bread from certain companies. If something doesn't look normal, I won't eat it, even if I have had it before. Drives my husband crazy, but I am been this way my whole life. For gels, I cannot stand the texture. I hate it. I have read that you can use real food alternatives so I may go that route. I don't eat bananas, raisins, dates, cherries, and a whole bunch of other things so I am thinking peanut butter or a granola bar. I am not that concerned for this race. I just feel like its something I want to play in case I decide to run longer races. Good news is once I find something I like, I don't need variety. I can eat the same thing every day so once I find something I like, I'll probably stick with that.

Huma has more of an applesauce texture of you can tolerate that. They make an apple cinnamon flavor which is just like applesauce! I don’t like the texture of gels either, but can handle Huma.

In terms of fuel, I use jelly beans. Regular jelly belly jelly beans that I buy in a giant jar at Costco. That works for me, but I know not everyone likes that.
I've also tried dried fruit and that works (I've done raisins and apricots), but the jelly beans are a little easier to carry around.
Definitely try PB and granola bars - anything that you like that has carbs and you can digest pretty easily is something worth trying.

I may end up going to real food route. We shall see.

Huma has more of an applesauce texture of you can tolerate that. They make an apple cinnamon flavor which is just like applesauce! I don’t like the texture of gels either, but can handle Huma.

Thanks that is good to know. I actually do like apple cinnamon applesauce so this may be a good option. I also heard that these ones can be good for people with sensitive stomachs.

So Spring for the most part has sprung here in New England. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend. We spent it with my BIL and SIL in Portsmourth, NH and it really felt like summer was coming. We were able to walk around the downtown area and check out some new hot spots. We went to a great cocktail bar that just opened, which we will definitely go back to. We went to a tapas place for dinner. I am not a huge fan of tapas as I feel like most of the time you pay a lot of money for not a lot of food. This was no exception. We had gift cards form Christmas and the meal ended up being $200 for four of us. I found the food was lackluster. One thing on the menu was describe kind of like french fries so we ordered two of them and it was not good and not french fries. The best thing we had was fried pickles. Overall not impressed and probably will not return. As much as I love summer, I do not like Portsmouth in summer as it is so busy so we will probably wait to check out the other new places until the Fall.

On Sunday Peter and I took the scenic drive home along the coast, which I love. It was the perfect day for it and you could just feel summer in the air. I had marathon Monday off from work as it's a weird Massachusetts holiday. The day was actually nicer than predicted and I spent the morning/afternoon tracking some friends running the race. Usually, we go into the city, but it was nice to spend a year just hanging out at home.

In terms of my running, that did not happen last week. I took a week off to deal with some lingering knee pain. Turns out I have a little bit of patellar tendinitis. I ran on Tuesday for the first time in a week and it was okay, but very stiff afterwards. I stretched and iced it and took yesterday off. At this point, I am managing it until the race. There is nothing seriously wrong, I just need to back off the mileage some. It was probably due to more running than I am used to and going between the treadmill and outside as my gait is way different on the treadmill. My goal for the race is just to enjoy the experience and not stress about time. After the race, I plan to take a week or two off to let it fully heal. I have a 5K at the end of June, but I am not too worried about that. I want to spend the summer building up mileage at a more gradual rate, making sure to cross train and stretch and hopefully that will solve the issue. Peter and I also plan to run some trails, including the rail trail in Maine so we can give ourselves a break from running on concrete and asphalt. I have a few races I want to do this Fall so being proactive over the summer will be key.

My race is in 2.5 weeks and I am not sure I am going to run it. As I mentioned, I definitely have patellar tendinitis. One of the main symptoms is that it only bothers me when I do exercise; not when walking, running, sitting, etc. I took two weeks off of running and just did some cross training. I went out on Monday and the first two miles felt fine so I figured the time off did what I needed it to. But then by mile 2.5, it was starting to achy and by 3, I was over it. I was really frustrated, but there is not much I can do. I just need to wait it out. I know it is getting better, but it could be another week or two before I am at 100 percent. Poor running form is definitely the culprit so I will be running exclusively outside until the fall. I also got new shoes, but I don't think they are the issue as they are the exact same ones as my previous pair.

At this point, it is too late to defer or get any kind of refund so I think I will make a game time decision. I am going to try a short run this weekend to see where I am at. The weather is supposed to be nice so DH and I may run on the trails around here to change it up. This run will determine what I do. I could still do the race and aim for more of a run/walk and probably finish no problem since there is no pain when walking. I am just not sure I want to do that. I could also scrap it and focus on just healing and looking ahead to the future. I don't want my first half to be a bad experience. Peter thinks I should still do it, but we shall see.

Such a bummer that this came up. I'm so sorry. Hoping that it feels better soon so that you get to experience the race.

Such a bummer that this came up. I'm so sorry. Hoping that it feels better soon so that you get to experience the race.

Thanks! It might actually be a shoe issue. As an experiment I wore my old shoes out last night and my knee barely hurt so I’m thinking the new model of the Nike I have something must have changed. However at this point I just feel with so much time off and not getting the miles in I feel unprepared for the race and not feeling like running it. Thank you for all your guidance. This race may just have not meant to be.

Thanks! It might actually be a shoe issue. As an experiment I wore my old shoes out last night and my knee barely hurt so I’m thinking the new model of the Nike I have something must have changed. However at this point I just feel with so much time off and not getting the miles in I feel unprepared for the race and not feeling like running it. Thank you for all your guidance. This race may just have not meant to be.

Glad to hear it! There's still time certainly. So just let whatever happens happen on race day. Takes quite some time to lose all those gains you were making. And doesn't take long for them to come back either.

Maine Coast Half Marathon - DNS

I was supposed to be in taper this week for my half on Saturday. Unfortunately, I did have to go ahead and decide not to run this race. My knee is just really causing all sorts of problems. I definitely think it is a case of some patellar tendonitis, but I am not sure how to clear it up or what caused it in the first place. I also am unsure if it is a shoe issue. We went to the store this weekend as DH needed new shoes and I tried on an older model of Nike Pegasus and there definitely is a different. There seems to be more arch support in the newer pair, which I hate. I actually wore my current shoes all day Saturday when we were out shopping and by the end of the afternoon, my feet hurt so these shoes may need to go, which is sad since they have like no mileage on them.

I went for a 3 mile run yesterday. It was actually nice weather for run. My stamina was really good. I can tell all that training really helped there as I pushed it and ran between 10 and 10:30 min/mile for awhile. I felt great at the end, besides my knee. After stretching, I sat down and iced it and it was very stiff. I finally decided that I need to go to the doctor. I had been avoiding it as my PCP retired last year and I have not been to the new person yet. I called this morning and I am waiting for call back for an appt time. I am hoping I won't have to go to PT and we can discover what caused the issue to begin with to avoid it in the future. I have a 5K at the end of June, which I am confident I can run. After that I hope to be pain free and can train for a Fall half.

Bummer about the knee and having to DNS the race. Hopefully your visit to the doctor will give you some good answers and set you on the path to recovery!

Knee Update

So I had a doctor appt last Wednesday hoping to get some answers on my knee. It was not the appt I was hoping for. My doctor had recently retired and a new doctor right out of med school had taken over his practice. My mom didn't want to see the new doctor and offered to switch me as well, but I was like I'll give her a shot before I go through the hassle of moving everything. I had the last appt of the day and was immediately seen in - love when they are on time. The doctor was nice enough and she asked me what I thought was wrong. I went over the issues I had been having, how long it had lasted, and what I had been doing about it. I mentioned that I thought it might be my shoes and she said shoes do not cause leg or knee issues when running. I was like what :confused3. She did an exam and then mention that she thought it was maybe runners knee and that I should just take Advil before running. I definitely didn't think that was a long term fix so I asked some questions on if I should rest more, if I should be doing more stretching, etc and she was like I don't know, just don't stop running as it is healthy. Then she proceeds to badger me about scheduling a physical even though I don't need one for another 10 months. At this point I was over it and thanked her and headed on my way. I also called my mom and took her up on her offer to switch me over to her doctor as I was not going to be making a return visit to this lady.

On Thursday I got a message (they do online appt, messaging, test results, etc) and she sent me the WebMD description of runner's knee and said she had put in a request for PT. The PT clinic called and said the first appt they had was in a month. I almost didn't schedule an appt, but figured I would have one on the books and cancel it if I didn't need it.

We still went to Maine this past weekend even though I didn't run the race. It was a gorgeous day and I wish I could have ran. The race was sold out and I was able to transfer my bib to someone which I was happy about. Not only did someone get to run in my place, I also got the race fee back minus $5 transfer fee. I drown my disappointment in my first ice cream of the season :rotfl2:

So what have I been doing? I took a week off from running and have been stretching. I also started doing some light biking as well as lots of core and strength training. I wanted to focus more on that this winter and didn't so figured now was a good time to start. My knee has not been bothering me at all. Peter and I went for a long walk on Saturday and it was fine both during and after. I plan to continue this cross training this week and will maybe run next week depending on how I feel. My plan is to start back slowly with running short distances every other day, mixing in cross training and strength training. I have a 5K at the end of June and I am hoping to be fully health by that date and work back up gradually to 5 days a week running. I want to run a half in October (if at first you don't succeed, try try again) and I am thinking I will just restart my half plan. @DopeyBadger do you think it is reasonable for me to run the plan again? I feel like this time I am more prepared for the time as well as the ramp up. I also have a couple other races I would like to do this summer/fall but it will all depend on the knee.

Interesting experience with the doctor. At least you got a PT with someone who might be a bit more specialized, but a bummer it's another month away.

So what have I been doing? I took a week off from running and have been stretching. I also started doing some light biking as well as lots of core and strength training. I wanted to focus more on that this winter and didn't so figured now was a good time to start. My knee has not been bothering me at all. Peter and I went for a long walk on Saturday and it was fine both during and after. I plan to continue this cross training this week and will maybe run next week depending on how I feel. My plan is to start back slowly with running short distances every other day, mixing in cross training and strength training. I have a 5K at the end of June and I am hoping to be fully health by that date and work back up gradually to 5 days a week running. I want to run a half in October (if at first you don't succeed, try try again) and I am thinking I will just restart my half plan. @DopeyBadger do you think it is reasonable for me to run the plan again? I feel like this time I am more prepared for the time as well as the ramp up. I also have a couple other races I would like to do this summer/fall but it will all depend on the knee.

I'd say it's too early to say whether it would be appropriate to do the same plan again. Especially if you can nail down why the injury occurred in the first place. Because it probably wouldn't be a wise idea to do the same thing over again. Definitely pulling back on the duration will help. My notes say the injury was first noted on 4/10 (or around there). So maybe dropping back to somewhere in the 4-5 hour range cap is a good place to stay instead. I'd say you'll have a better idea what you should do based on how the next few weeks feel though. As there's no benefit to rushing back. A 16 week plan ending 10/1/19 would be a 6/11 start date. So that means you've got several weeks ahead to see whether the knee lingers at all.

May has been a busy month and I am finally digging back out. Definitely had a lot to catch up on. I took a full 2 - 3 weeks off of running letting my knee heal up. I have my first run back on May 19 and did 2 miles. It was a very slow 2 miles, but pain free. I didn't want to push it so I took a couple days off. I have run four times since then and all runs are pain free, before during and after. Turns out it was a case of runners knee from ramping up to quickly. No long term PT needed. Seems to have resolved on its own with rest. I also got a new doctor who hopefully will be more helpful in the future. Also glad to say it was not a shoe issue.

What does this mean moving forward? I want to stay injury free and learn from my past mistakes. I think currently I am going to try and run 3 days a week ad work up to 4. I will continue to stretch and take a day off as needed. I don't want to ramp up too quickly. I have a 5K on June 22 that I will probably run for fun and now time since it could be very hot. I need to evaluate what I want to do for my half in October and hopefully make it to the starting line healthy.

I am still around and still running. But not being on an official training plan, I haven't felt the need to post as often. The weather around here has been very hit or miss. It has been a very rainy spring in New England. No one can claim that we are in a drought. We also are starting to get the humidity. I generally enjoy a hot and sunny summer since it is a very short season and winter feels so long so I am hoping that the weather takes a turn for the better as we head into July.

In running news, my knee is still feeling good and I have run multiply days in a row. Seems like the runners knee was the problem and that I did ramp up too fast. I also think it didn't help that I was switching between the treadmill and outside as my gait is different between the two and that may have also had something to do with it. No treadmill for me this summer. I'll just run in the rain/heat and make the best of it. Although I will have to start getting up earlier on weekends to beat the heat. I also finally caved and bought a pair of goodrs. I have wanted running sunglasses since last summer, but once the winter came and there was limited sunny days, I found no reason for them. However, after my run this week with the sun in my eyes the whole way, I finally caved. I ordered the rose ones. They haven't arrived yet, but I am curious to try them out soon.

Work has slowed down some and I am looking forward to some much needed time off this summer. Typically, DH and I go on a big trip each summer. We were in Ireland at this time last year. But this year we decided to pay off some bills and stay local. We will spend some time in Maine at my in laws in August - not the worst way to spend a vacation, but I prefer Europe:rotfl2:I am also heading to Chicago in July for a short work trip so I hope to check out a little of the city when I have some downtime.

I am running a 5K tomorrow. It is in Maine and the weather actually looks decent. It is looking like 60s and cloudy at the start. I am treating this like a fun run. DH is also running so that should be fun. They are supposed to have two free beers, pizza, bagels, and ice cream at the end. We also get a finishers medal - let's be real, I am all in for the bling. The only downside to this race is we need to be there by 6:00 AM to park and get our bibs, so the wake up time will be quite early. Sunday is actually supposed to be 80* and sunny so I am hoping for the first beach day of the summer.

After this race, I need to figure out my training plan for the summer. I am definitely running a fun fall 5K in September. And I already signed up back in February for the Smuttynose half in October. Let's hope I actually make it to this start line.

Old Port 5K Recap

Peter and I ran the Old Port 5K in Portland this past weekend. We drove up to Maine Friday night to stay at my in-laws. We basically got there and went right to bed. I did not have the best night sleep as the animals were being annoying (4 cats and 1 dog) so I was definitely tired when the alarm went off at 5:00 AM. The race started at 7:15 AM, but they recommended you be there by 6 AM to deal with parking and we needed to get our bibs as well. We had laid out our clothes the night before and basically got dressed and left. Peter did eat something before we left, but I passed (I would regret this choice).

The drive to Portland was uneventful (about 20 minutes) and soon we heading towards downtown. We had found a garage online right near the Civic Center as we had to go there to get our bibs. But as we were driving into downtown, we saw a lot that had a posted $5 fee for all day parking. That is a huge STEAL. This past winter we paid $19 to park for three hours and it is even higher in the summer. This lot was about .6 miles from the start so not too bad. While Peter got in line to pay at the kiosk, I started walking to the Civic Center to get our bibs. It was like a 10-15 minute walk uphill as I went the long way oops. It was well organized when I got there and the line to get our bibs moved very quickly. Once I had our bibs, I met back up with Peter and we got in another line to get our race shirts. There was also a small expo, but we didn't stop. Peter then got in one final line to get his ID check so he could get his beer tent wrist band. Like an idiot, I left my ID in the car so no wrist band for me. Luckily, you could show your ID at the tent and still get your beer.

Bibs, shirts, and 1 wristband in tow, we headed back to the car. This time we went the short way and it took less than 10 minutes. We threw the shirts in the car and I retrieved my ID and then we headed towards the start. However, I stopped at a gas station on the walk there as I preferred a real bathroom over the ports at the start line. We got to the start a little before 7 AM and the half marathoners had already lined up. The half and 5K started at the same area. There was an intersection and the half lined up on one street and the 5K on the other. We lined up right after the half started and I actually ran into someone I knew from my last job. We chatted for a few minutes and I then made it my secret goal to at least beat her (I succeeded).

The half started right at 7 and we started at 7:15. It was very congested in the beginning. They did not have people line up by any system so you had walkers at the front and the street was narrow so hard to pass. The first mile is pretty much a gradually up hill the whole way. I was not really expecting this, but I run a lot of hills so it was fine. I used this opportunity to dodge around people and even ran on the sidewalk for awhile until the course spread out. The weather was probably in the low 70s when we started and pretty sunny. However, the first mile was shaded so that was nice.

After the first mile, we head on downhill and merge back up with the half marathon. This was a little tricky as the course was narrow and you had many people jockeying for position. I used this opportunity to make up some time that I had lost on the uphill. We then came back to the main drag which was a major road that they had shutdown so there was plenty of room to spread out. This part of the course was full on sun. There was great crowd support on this part of the race with lots of signs and people cheering. We hit mile two and I was starting to feel it. I did a quick walk through the water stop(haven't mastered drinking and running yet) and then kept going. I knew that it was not far to the finish.

Mile three was mainly just thinking about how glad I was I was not running the half. Even though I was tired, I did not want to slow down so I kept pushing. With about 200 meters to go, I saw Peter on the sidelines and he gave me a shout. This was the boost I needed. I figured I wouldn't see him until the finish line so it was a nice surprise. I gave it one last good push and came across the finish line.

I collected my bottle of water and medal and met up with Peter. I felt great the whole race, but then I was super nauseous after finishing. We headed down a side street to stretch and I thought I was going to throw up. After stretching and some water, we headed to the after race area, where they had watermelon, bananas, pretzels, cookies(famous Amos and Oreos) and Kind bars. I had some pretzels and after about 10 minutes started to feel way better. I think not eating before the race, caught up with me. Something to know for next time. We also went and collected our beers. The race was sponsored by Shipyard and each runner got two beers. I tried their new IPA and had their summer ale and both were good. The race also had pizza and ice cream. I could not imagine eating ice cream after finishing. We ended up passing on both. It was pretty hot when we were standing in the after race area and I imagine it was hot on the half course. They used to have this race in July and I can only imagine how miserable that was.

Overall I would highly recommend this race. It was very well organize, the course was not too challenging and the volunteers were great at giving directions to runners. The after race food offerings were very good as well. We may do the 5K again next year if it fits our schedule. Final time was 31:38 (mile 1 10:53, Mile 2 10:02, and mile 3 10:11). I was happy with that time consider I didn't train for this run. Now to start training for that Fall half.race.jpg

Congrats on the race! Sounds like a good experience and that's a great time, especially considering the lack of training for the race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!