Finding my running groove (Comments Welcome)

Jules76126

Practically Perfect in Every Way
I decided that this year I needed a training journal to keep myself accountable.

A little about me and my running journey -
I'm Julie and have been on the Dis for many years. I am a huge Disney fanatic and have down 2 CP while in College. I even had my bachelorette party at Disney a few years ago. I love to travel, cats, read, drink beer, and go to the beach so I am sure there will be a few random thoughts on those things throughout the year.

I started running about 5 years ago when I started dating my then boyfriend - now husband as his entire family was into running. I figure I could get into running and thus share in their common love. I started with the C25K app and did pretty well. But then life go in the way and I basically took a 2.5 year hiatus. I then ran on and off for while, did some barre classes, but had a hard time committing. I really wanted to run a race in 2017, but could never commit to the training. It's like a litany of excuses - too hot, too cold, too tired, vacation, I'll start next week - you get the picture.

I turned 30 in 2017, which was big year for me. I was sad to leave my 20s behind, but also felt like I had failed at my goal of running a race. I just felt that was a new decade starting, I really needed to commit, but it was hard with my work schedule and commute. Well I got a new job in the Fall of 2017, which I love and has much better hours - got to love academia. This greatly improved my odds of sticking with a program. When you are happy, other things seem to be easier.

So I decided 2018 was going to be the year. I was going to finally commit to a training schedule and actually complete a race. I decided to set small goals that are attainable so I won't get discouraged. And I have been doing pretty well. But I need a little extra accountability so that is where this training journal comes into play.

Goals

Last edited:
So I have been lurking on others training journals for the last few months and I am always so inspired by their achievements and training plans. Me on the other hand, I don't really have a plan of any sort. Which is actually quite difficult for me as I love to plan, but I just don't can't find a plan that works for me. So currently I am just winging it.

My hopes are that once I get through my first 5K and start building up distance, I can integrate things like long runs and tempo runs, but we shall see.

Currently, I try and run 4 to 5 days a week. My week goes from Saturday - Friday, with Friday always being a rest day. I commute 1 hour each way to work and by Friday, I am pretty tired. I also hate going to the supermarket, especially when it is crowded - I'm looking at you who leave their cart in the middle of the aisle. So we go Friday nights when it is very quiet. My DH and I also live in a very small apartment because its in a nice area, cheap, close to Boston, and again cheap. But one of the downsides is terrible laundry facilities so we head to our parents to do laundry at least once a month so that also affects runs.

My plan this week is to run M, T, W, TH. I'm still on the treadmill at the gym as it snowed yesterday. Here is to hoping I can get outside next week.

Excited to follow along! I'm always here if you want to bounce ideas back in forth about training plan designs.

Even though you say you don't have a plan, you sound like you have a plan. Haha. Can't wait to see what you do this year!

Just found out my gym is getting new cardio equipment next week. Here’s hoping for some fancy treadmills.

I'm excited to follow along and see you accomplish your awesome 2018 goals!

I did my own plans (partially planned in advance, but also partially winging it) for a number of years. Sometimes it's just what works best. Seems like you have a good handle on what works for you!

The plan this week was to run M,T,W,TH. I feel like I did pretty well overall.

Monday
It’s April here in MA, but it was snowing on Monday. Not exactly the best introduction to spring. I headed to the gym. One thing I do not understand is who wants to eat pizza at the gym. And I love pizza. But I don’t want to eat it at the gym. But first Monday of the month at planet fitness is pizza Monday and is the busiest day.
Plan: 3 miles
Actual: 4 miles @ 10:15

Tuesday
It was raining and cold so back to the gym I went. I have also been trying to add in some abs and leg strength training in so I also did my 7 minute abs workout.
Plan: 4 miles
Actual: 4 miles @ 10:15

Wednesday
It was still raining and we got home late as my commute was very long due to an accident. I was not feeling it, but DH convinced me to go even if it was only 2 miles. But once I got going, I was really having a great run.
Plan: 2 miles
Actual: 3.1 @ 10:15

Thursday
This day was a bust. Our cats were out of food so we had to go to the specialty pet store as they can’t just eat any old food. It was to be special organic stuff. I also am on antibiotics for an infected cut and I was told 5% of people get lightheaded and dizzy and I was the 5% so I felt awful so I passed.

Friday
Rest day and I called and got new antibiotics that do not have the lightheadedness so hopefully that is behind me.

Overall happy with the week. Plan for this week is four to five days, just depends on schedule.

Definitely on the struggle bus today. It snowed again and it’s April 10th. Really hoping for some nicer weather come May. But I did make it to the gym even though I would rather be sitting on my couch.

Although I am working on finding a race that will work with my schedule, I also am trying to my pace down. I current run around 10 mm easy pace. I really want to get to 9mm. I just need to figure out the best way to accomplish that. Hears hoping tomorrow is warmer.

This was not my best week, but I knew that going in. My goal was to get a few days in and I did accomplish that so I am happy there. April is shaping up to be my best mileage month ever, which is not saying much, but happy for the improvement.

Saturday - Rest day
I had to work an accepted students day at my job and I did not get home till after 3 and was starving so decided to pass on going to thy gym.

Sunday - 4 miles at 10:15 m/m

Monday - 3 miles at 10:15 m/m

Tuesday - 3 miles at 9:45 m/m

Wednesday - rest day

Thursday - 2 miles at 9:20 m/m
I really pushed myself here as I wanted to see how I was feeling. It was tough, but I completed it.

Friday - rest day

This is going to be another off week. Saturday I worked again and then spent the rest of the weekend at my parents. They live 45 minutes from me, but only 5 minutes from where I work, so I tend to visit them on weekends when I work. And yesterday we went to the marathon. It was pretty terrible conditions. It was so cold and wet. But we were happy to cheer on Steve and he was overall glad he finished if not too happy with his time. I am sure he will be running again in the future. This week's plan is to run M, T, W, and/or TH/F. We also want to get back outside next week as the weather is hopeful improving. My DH also said he will help me draft a plan for May as I need something to follow along. I also plan to pick out my first race and commit.

I think I found the 5K race that I want to do. It is August 18 at Old Orchard Beach. I like this race for a few reason. 1. I can walk to and from the race from my in-laws house. 2. I have run the course before and I can do another test run prior to race day. 3. It is a very flat course. 4. I will have plenty of time to train and since I have loftier goals than just a 5K it will be a good indicator of my fitness. Only downside is it could be really warm, but I am willing to take the chance.

Following along!

I was born & raised in MA (western & central) & DH in central ME. The race in OOB sounds fun!

Is there a local race before August that you might consider for a training run? Only you know your goals and motivations, but since you are already running more than 5K during training, August seems a long way away to stay motivated for your "A" race. I realize I'm inserting my psyche into your plans, so it may not be what works for you.

Following along!

I was born & raised in MA (western & central) & DH in central ME. The race in OOB sounds fun!

Yeah I grew up in the Worcester area and now live closer to Boston. I like running by the beach so the OOB race will be great.

Is there a local race before August that you might consider for a training run? Only you know your goals and motivations, but since you are already running more than 5K during training, August seems a long way away to stay motivated for your "A" race. I realize I'm inserting my psyche into your plans, so it may not be what works for you.

I have thought about that. I have race commitment issues. Generally, I will pick a race and never follow through as I worry I won't finish. I'll probably run the race in August since it is so convenient, but I will probably try and find a local race before then to use like you said as a training run. It's a little tough as we are going to Ireland for 15 days in June so most of that month is out, but we shall see. Part of the reason that I started this journal was to hold myself accountable to actually running races that I am interested in.

I've only restarted my running a couple of years ago so I'm a rookie compared to many on this forum but here's what I did when I first got started and 5K seemed like a long way: I would go to a running website like runningintheusa.com and see what runs were in the area in the next two weeks. Then I would pick one and just do it on short notice and think of it as a training run and not as a race. Even though I never knew anyone at the run, I enjoyed the atmosphere, wearing the bib, getting the swag, etc. Many of the 5Ks had walkers so I also never had to worry about going too slow and embarrassed to be so far behind.

I live in suburban Chicago and just checked....there are 36 different 5Ks within an hour drive of my house over the next 2 weekends! Boston is an even crazier running town than Chicago and I bet that there are also many 5Ks every weekend, most for a good cause, and hopefully near to where you live.

I now plan some races over a year ahead of time, but that's a whole different set of issues to work through.

So in an attempt to encourage you (and hopefully not to come off as a pushy jerk) just sign-up on short notice and enjoy the run.

I think I found the 5K race that I want to do. It is August 18 at Old Orchard Beach. I like this race for a few reason. 1. I can walk to and from the race from my in-laws house. 2. I have run the course before and I can do another test run prior to race day. 3. It is a very flat course. 4. I will have plenty of time to train and since I have loftier goals than just a 5K it will be a good indicator of my fitness. Only downside is it could be really warm, but I am willing to take the chance.

This sounds like a great race choice!
It's definitely a little farther away, especially because you're already running farther distances, so if you have the opportunity to sign up for something sooner, I'd say go for it. I definitely agree with @Kerry1957 - sometimes it's great to just sign up for something that's coming up soon and treat it as a training run, not a race.

So guys I found a race that is five minutes from my house. It is on June 3rd. I am thinking this would be great to run and it's for a great cause. Probably will sign up after I get paid.

On another note, my grandmother owns DVC, but she is at the point where she really doesn't go to Disney anymore and needs to pass on the duties of managing everything. I'm trying to convince hubby that we should take it. I said we are investing in our future Disney trips with our currently nonexistent children :rotfl2: I also said we could rent out the points when we don't use them as she currently owns 475 points. Have to keep working on him haha

Last week was not that successful. It happens. The plan was originally S,S, T, W, - ended up only T, W.

Saturday - I had to work and was exhausted after working six days in a row for two weeks.
Sunday - felt like being lazy and lounge all day around the house.
Monday - DH and I had the best of intentional to run. But it was also Marathon Monday. The weather was awful. We were soaking wet for most of the day. By lunch, we decided all we wanted to do was shower and warm up so no run.
Tuesday - 5 miles at 10:10 pace
Wednesday - 3 miles at 9:45
Thursday - I worked late

I am happy to report this week if starting out much better and I did my first run outside since the long winter. It felt great; looking forward to a more successful week ahead.

Life has made posting here a little difficult. End of a busy season at work. Luckily, I was still able to get out and run. Positive is that we finally have nice weather here in NE. I have done all my recent runs outside. Downside is that running outside has been way more challenging both mentally and physically. Mentally I can focus on other things while on the treadmill and tend to be able to push myself more than when I run outside. My goal is to work on that this month.

April Mileage - 42

Highest month to date and only plan to increase for May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!