Finding my running groove (Comments Welcome)

Snowflake Shuffle 5K

As I mentioned previously, one of my goals this year was to actually run a race. I had decided to sign up for this race back in the Fall to keep my motivation high. This race was about a 30 minute drive from my house so I figured it would be a good first one to do. I am going to admit that I did not look at the course prior to the race so it was all going to be a surprise to me.

The race was at 9:45 AM, but we needed to take a shuttle bus across the street to the race start. Yes, you literally had to use a bus to cross the street. But the road is almost like a highway with four lanes of traffic so the police did not want people crossing on foot. The last bus left the general parking area at 8:45 AM so we needed to make sure to be there before that. We ended up leaving the house at 7:45 AM.

I will say that this race was very well organized. It is put on by a local running store and they did a great job. The parking was well signed and they had volunteers waving cars to the designated lots. We arrived a little before 8:30 AM and sat in the warm car waiting for a bus to appear. The buses picked you right up at the various lots making it very easy. We were probably at the race area by 8:45 AM, possibly a little earlier. I picked up my bib and hoodie, which I proceeded to hand to DH since he was not running.

I should note that it was pretty chilly. It was 9* with a real feel like 0. Luckily, it was sunny and not raining or snowing and no wind so it made it feel a little warmer. The race start and finish was held in this little plaza with a restaurant, Dunkin Donuts, liquor store, and an urgent care. The race had advertised a warming tent as well as propane fireplaces to keep people warm prior to the start. Well the race was sold out (1700+ people) and the tent held maybe 150 on a good day. Needless to say, most of us were not taking advantage of that perk. DH and I walked over to the Dunkins so he could get a coffee and they had the worst customer service I have ever seen. It was very crowded in there with a line of like 30 to use the restroom. I understand that they wanted to make sure that their paying customers could order, but the staff was yelling at people not to loiter, yet was letting 30+ people use their restroom without buying a single thing. We did hang out for about 20 minutes. We felt justified since we had actually bought something and then headed back outside.

We lined up for the race about 10 minutes before the start. I had been trying to keep moving around and felt pretty good. Only my nose and toes were cold. However, once I got moving I warmed up fairly quick. The course itself was very nice. It went through a pretty residential neighborhood. They had shut the road down so we didn't need to worry about traffic. It was an out and back course. It was actually pleasant in the sun. They had 1 aid station at the half way point as well as medical staff at mile 1 and a volunteer directing people on the course.

I had tried to go out conservatively as I had no idea what racing would feel like. DH had warned me to not get swept up in the start and go out to fast. He told me to run my own race and I do feel like I did that. I used my watch to keep an eye on my pace in the first mile. The course was pretty crowded for the first .25, but open up after that. The thing I was not prepared for was people just stopping. I am totally fine with people who need to walk or those who use run/walk intervals. I am not okay with someone just stopping in front of me with no notice almost causing a collision. All was well and no crash happened. I am glad that I did save some energy though as there was a big hill a little after the two mile mark. A lot of people were struggling on the hill. I live in a hilly area so I am used to hills and I was determined to make it up without walking. I was feeling tired but since this was a cul-de-sac, I knew I would get a break on the way down. After the hill, we headed back towards the finish and we all saw a fox. It didn't look rabid to me, more just startled. It was cool nevertheless. There was one final incline close to mile 3 and then all downhill to the finish.

I crossed the finish line feeling great. Time: 31.28 DH was at the end cheering me on which was nice. We hung out and watched the rest of the runners come through. The race had Stonyfield yogurt, baked pasta, cookies, and milk for food. And everyone 21+ got a free Sam Adams beer. I passed on the beer since it was so cold. Catching the bus back to the parking lot was very easy and they had police directing traffic so getting out was not the nightmare that I had anticipated.

Overall, I really enjoyed my first race experience. I definitely think I could have gone a little faster as I had more to give at the end, but still a solid first effort. The race was very well organized and had great crowd support. I would consider doing this race again if the weather was nice. It's just tough as January in New England can be so unpredictable and I am not sure I would have wanted to be out there in the rain/snow. I did learn that I liked racing and it gave me the motivation I needed. It showed what all those training runs are for and I'm more determined now to work towards my other goals. Next race is a half in May. I definitely need to get a training plan for that as I cannot wing as I did this 5K. I am open to suggestions if anyone has a good plan for a first half.

Time: 31.28
Division: 69/150
Overall: 873/1767

Congrats on your first 5k (and first race)! Sounds like a great experience.

It showed what all those training runs are for and I'm more determined now to work towards my other goals. Next race is a half in May. I definitely need to get a training plan for that as I cannot wing as I did this 5K. I am open to suggestions if anyone has a good plan for a first half.

There are lots of good options for starting out. Higdon, Galloway, and Jenny Hadfield are common ones. I'd say more than anything, pay attention to the instructions of whatever training plan you go with. A HM is about 90-95% aerobic which means lots of slow endurance type running. Train slow to race fast. And when I mean slow, I mean like most days are spent running at paces you feel as if are ridiculously slow. It's completely counterintuitive. If you want something a bit more custom tailored to you, your life and schedule, then I'm sure I can figure something out for you.

Great job on your first race! It's nice you learned some of the race day ins and outs before your half. Personally, I used Hal Higdon plans starting out and had great success with them. It's important to look at your life and what amount of time you have to dedicate before picking a plan.

Huzzah! I’m pretty sure if you can make it through a winter of outdoor running, then you have the sisu to complete a half!

Congrats on your first 5k (and first race)! Sounds like a great experience.

There are lots of good options for starting out. Higdon, Galloway, and Jenny Hadfield are common ones. I'd say more than anything, pay attention to the instructions of whatever training plan you go with. A HM is about 90-95% aerobic which means lots of slow endurance type running. Train slow to race fast. And when I mean slow, I mean like most days are spent running at paces you feel as if are ridiculously slow. It's completely counterintuitive. If you want something a bit more custom tailored to you, your life and schedule, then I'm sure I can figure something out for you.

PMed you

Sounds like you had a great first race! Congratulations!!

Thank you!

Great job on your first race! It's nice you learned some of the race day ins and outs before your half. Personally, I used Hal Higdon plans starting out and had great success with them. It's important to look at your life and what amount of time you have to dedicate before picking a plan.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Congrats on your first 5K & race!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks!

Huzzah! I’m pretty sure if you can make it through a winter of outdoor running, then you have the sisu to complete a half!

Thanks! It's been a weird winter here as we didn't get a big storm yet so it has made running outside easier. Here is hoping that continues.

So I have been just running a few times here and there this week. The weather has not been that great and DH has a cold so that has been fun. Thank you to everyone suggestions on a training plan. I really appreciated those who said to evaluate how much time I have to commit. I have been thinking it over and looking at plans and ultimately decided to join the dopeybadger club. I have some number goals I would like to achieve and feel like a custom plan will help with that.

Winter finally hit today as we are slated to get 8-12 inches of snow over night plus some freezing rain. We are hoping to not lose power. Then the high on Monday is going to be 8* so not planning on leaving the house much this weekend. Here’s hoping we get less than predicted.

I did get a quick run in the morning before the storm since I knew tomorrow would be a bust. Of course being suck in the house means online shopping right? I didn’t buy anything but do have my eye on a pair of Goodr sunglasses. Probably purchase those in the next few weeks. Here’s hoping for a sale as I hate paying full price for things or at the very least free shipping.

I’ve downloaded a water app to help encourage me to drink more water throughout the day. I feel like it has been working so far or at least encouraging me to think about it more.

I have also decided to add a currently listening to here as I know many people listen to podcasts here on the running boards. I am big into podcasts as I have an hour commute each way and am always interested to hear what others are listening too. I also have a goal to read 40 books this year. I have had this goal the last two years and fallen short but 3rd times the charm hopefully.

Currently listening - Up and Vanished season 2

Currently reading - A hobbit, a wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Loconte

Currently drinking - Mountainside by Rising Tide brewery. Probably my favorite winter beer to date.

Starting my new training plan this week, probably mainly on the treadmill. We finally got our first blast of winter this weekend. We got around 8 inches of snow Saturday night/Sunday with an .5 inch of ice on top. Then to top it off, yesterday the high was 1*. Let's just say I was glad to not be running outside in that. It was still pretty cold this morning and there is so issue with the heat at work so I am currently sitting in my office with my coat on. Seriously New England is great. But on the positive side, it is supposed to be 50* on Thursday so hopefully some of this snow melts.

So this week's plan
Monday - off
Tuesday - 3 @ EB + Strides
Wednesday - off
Thursday - 3 @ EB + Strides
Friday - off
Saturday - 3 @ EB + Strides
Sunday - 3 @ LR

Currently listening - Up and Vanished season 2
Currently Reading - AD 381

So this week was a lot of time on the treadmill. The roads were still really icy from the storm the previous weekend and many of the sidewalks were not shoveled.

Monday - Rest day. I was happy about this since it was about 1* outside and I was not going to go out in that unless I had to.

Tuesday- 3 miles at EB + Strides. Since I was on the treadmill, I found it was much easier to monitor my pace and slow down. I had a little issue today figuring out what to set it to. EB is 12:26 per mile, pace was 12:29 per mile so pretty close. I did enjoy the strides at the end.

Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday - 3 miles at EB + Strides. This was easier since I knew what to set the treadmill at. I also worked from home this day so I had plenty of time at the gym. Pace was a little fast at 12:16 per mile. I also did some ab work as I am trying to be more consistent with that.

Friday - Rest day

Saturday - 3 miles at EB + Strides. This one was also a little fast at 12:12 per mile.

Sunday - 3 miles at LR (12:06 per mile). This run sucked. I had worked on Saturday and we spent the night at my parents. I wanted to go out Sunday morning as I knew my motivation to do it when we got home that afternoon would be nonexistent. I was definitely overtired and feel like I maybe should have ate something before going out. My watch ended up dying about 2 minutes into the run. I knew it was low on battery, but hoping it would make it. At this point, I really just wanted to turn around and cal it a day. But I was already dressed and out there so just decided to push through. I did look at my phone to get an idea of my start time. The sidewalks were pretty icy, but it was not too cold in the sun. Luckily, I know a 3 mile route so I didn't need to relay on my watch for distance. Based on my finish time and some rough math, I think I ran around a 12 min pace so not too far off the mark. I was glad I did it, but not my favorite run to date.

More snow on the way although it looks like a minor storm. Definitely be hitting up the treadmill this week. It will not be as cold here as it will be in the Midwest, but a low of 2* is still too cold for me. Hoping for a warm up this weekend so I can head outside.

olaf_snowman.jpg

Stay warm everyone!

Not sure how I missed your training journal all this time, but following now. Congrats on your first race!!

I decided to do a end of month wrap up each month. Partly to keep me accountable, but also I think ti will be interesting to see where I am at 3 months, 6 months, and a year from now.

So first off. Why is it still winter? February is the worst month to live in New England. It is the month when we always get the most snow, it is cold beyond reason, and it's still dark as DST hasn't happened yet. We haven't gotten any giant Northeasters yet, but we are getting annoying little showers which is not enough snow to be a real bother, but enough that you need to shovel

images

So with that, this month has been a lot of treadmill miles.

Run a race ✓
Run a half marathon - signed up for Maine Coast Half in May
Run 4/5 times a week - somewhat successful. Hit more 3/4 days a week this month. But not concerned as this will ramp up this month
Aim to run 50 miles a month - fail only 35.6 miles this month
Strength train at least 3 times per week - more like 2 days a week
Drink more water ✓

So overall not a bad month. Definitely some room for improvement. Plan to make February a strong month. Looking forward to enjoying a relaxing weekend. I took Monday off awhile ago. We are staying home for the Super Bowl so it will be a nice, quiet night. I know most of the country is rooting for the Rams and I don't blame them as New England fans are the worst. But I am hoping for competitive game whether we win or lose.

upload_2019-2-1_10-44-38.jpeg

Current Podcast: Dead Man Talking
Currently Reading: 381 AD & Fast Food Nation (this one is on Kindle for when I have downtime at work or my lunch)
Books Read to Date: 4 our of 40

Congrats on a great January! I'm excited to see what February brings you (hopefully not more snow ... but also hopefully not a super bowl ring :))

Playing catch up after busy week and relaxing weekend. We actually saw Sun this weekend.

upload_2019-2-5_15-32-50.jpeg
First time in forever and who knows how long it will last.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 3 miles at EB (12:26) - Actual was 3 at 12:17. This run was a challenge. I was running behind and showed up to the gym later than I would have liked. I had to pick Peter up from the train at a certain time and was going to cut it close. When I arrived not one treadmill was available. Since I did not have time to spare, I decided to do cross training instead, but then miraculous a treadmill opened up so I was able to get this one done. I am looking forward to daylight savings time so I can run outside when I get home.
Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 3 miles at EB - Actual was nothing. I have a very sensitive stomach. I have been tested for many things like celiacs, crohns, etc and everything has been negative. I was told I just have a bad stomach and to avoid trigger foods. I am envious of people like @ZellyB and @jennamfeo who can drink beers and eat donuts during races as that will never happen. Most of the time, I am okay but some days I just feel sick and this was one of those days. I knew that missing one work out would not derail the plan so I skipped it.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 4 miles at EB + strides - Actual 4.02 miles at 12:22. It was a balmy 25* so I decided to run outside. It was little slippery in spots, but overall so nice to get outside. This run when really well. Splits were 12:00, 12:25, 12:30, and 12:29. I was a little fast for the first mile, but really settled in after that. Overall it was a very nice run

Sunday - 4 miles at LR (12:06) - Actual 4.02 at 11:51. I was definitely fast on this run. Splits were 11:44, 11:57, 11:47, and 11:54. I did try to slow down, but it was just such a nice day and the run was feeling really good.

Overall a solid a week. This week I have my first speed workout so interested to see how that goes. It is a beautiful day here today with temps in the 50s. I know it won't last, but it is nice to get a break from winter. The super bowl parade was today and after seeing the crowds, you could not pay me to stand outside in that.

Current Podcast: Dead Man talking
Currently reading: Black Mass

Last edited:
I enjoy speed workouts, especially lately since I went to really unstructured fartlek because snow and hills. I have no idea how to tempo run in hills and snow, and I am usually avoiding looking at anything other than the trail in front of me for safety so I can’t rely on heart rate data.

My phone autocorrected speed to sopes, and while I love a good sopes workout, that is only for after long runs.

I enjoy speed workouts, especially lately since I went to really unstructured fartlek because snow and hills. I have no idea how to tempo run in hills and snow, and I am usually avoiding looking at anything other than the trail in front of me for safety so I can’t rely on heart rate data.

My phone autocorrected speed to sopes, and while I love a good sopes workout, that is only for after long runs.

Snow makes everything more difficult. I could not imagine running up hills covered in snow for tempo runs. I would be concerned with falling.

Thanks for the article. I'll check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!