Financial Role Models

My parents were good role models in the sense that they taught me to pay bills on time and save towards things I desired instead of running up credit cards. They didn't know anything about investing or what to do with those savings besides putting it in a savings account though.

So I feel like I started with a good baseline but have had to put in some work to get to the place I am now.

My parents. My dad died when I was 9 and he had 2 years to get finances in order for my mom. He worked very hard to make sure my mom would not have to go through probate when he passed, and that she had a financial plan in place that she understood and agreed to. And to make sure their plan considered all legal ways to reduce taxes.
From age 9 on my mom basically followed that plan. To grossly over simplify, their basic financial plan was $1 dollar for necessities, $1 for niceties, $ 1 for savings

My parents did all the things you see talked about now as to how to teach financial literacy to kids.

My small allowance (that I only got from about age 8 until I started babysitting at 13 - prior to that I did small chores like sweeping the porch for a small amount of money (the going rate at the time was a dime)) was given to me divided into saving, giving, spending. They took me to open a bank account at about age 10 when I had accumulated the $50 to open an account.

They encouraged me to start earning my own money as a teen and to save and give as well as spend. I had a personal finance class in high school (a requirement at the time - 1977 - that I wish was still a requirement - though one you could test out of if you already know the stuff) and was surprised that none of the other kids knew what I knew.

They taught me that loans with interest were a tool to use only for homes, cars, college if it made sense to do so, and if there were emergencies you couldn't cover, but that having savings would help avoid the need for loans if disaster struck. In general it was "don't spend money you don't have." They also encouraged living below your means because in hard times "you can't eat your house."

I was aware that Dad followed the stock market and that they had some investments that dropped and rose accordingly. I remember when they switched to the credit union for better interest rates on their savings accounts. They didn't "teach" those things, we just heard them through daily life.

My parents paid for the majority of my college, but we sat down each term for a summit meeting where I presented my report card and we went over the exact costs and who was paying what. I was aware of every cent and how much my scholarships, savings, and my work were contributing. Although they gave me money, the college bills came to me, not them.

My mom was a SAHM for a good chunk of my childhood, but kept up all her professional licensing, read professional journals, etc. I never thought about the fact that she made sure I was aware she was doing those things, but looking back on it, she was sending a clear message to us kids.

I taught my kids the exact same way as my parent's taught me. I haven't always agreed with all their parenting choices for me, but I think they were spot on for financial literacy. I have to say though, my siblings didn't learn quite the same as I did. I'm the youngest and they used to borrow money from me as a teen - and when it came time to agree who should take care of mom and dad's finances everyone said "kat should do it!"

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter