Few questions for locals

hereforthechurros

Here for the spring rolls too
We are staying in Oceanside for a few days before hitting DL on a Monday. We plan to leave Oceanside around 7 am. Looks like it’s a 90 minute drive. Will we hit morning traffic heading up the coast and if so how bad is it? Open to leaving later if it makes more sense.

Our one day at DL has the park closing at midnight. Do they do this for anticipated large crowd days or is it random?

And while I have you, what’s your fave fast casual dining in DL?

I don't know about the traffic question but I can give you my thoughts on the other.
Monday is a Holiday, Presidents Holiday Weekend is usually mobbed. Monday will most likely be busier than a regular Monday.
If you want a TS meal, you'll need an ADR.
For fast food... A corn dog at the red wagon or go to Jolly Holiday for soup and sandwich.

You might want to scout the app this weekend to see how the FP times are going for rides.

Good luck

I don't know about the traffic question but I can give you my thoughts on the other.
Monday is a Holiday, Presidents Holiday Weekend is usually mobbed. Monday will most likely be busier than a regular Monday.
If you want a TS meal, you'll need an ADR.
For fast food... A corn dog at the red wagon or go to Jolly Holiday for soup and sandwich.

You might want to scout the app this weekend to see how the FP times are going for rides.

Good luck
Sorry I didn’t clarify, it’s not this Monday but March 11th. I’ll start peeking at wait times this week in the app. We don’t want an ADR since we only have one day in DL and besides Blue Bayou which we did last year, nothing is jumping out as a must do for ADR. Thanks!

Sorry I didn’t clarify, it’s not this Monday but March 11th. I’ll start peeking at wait times this week in the app. We don’t want an ADR since we only have one day in DL and besides Blue Bayou which we did last year, nothing is jumping out as a must do for ADR. Thanks!
Whew..... Glad it's not this Monday....
Keep in mind March 10th Sunday, daylight saving time begins.
Springing forward an hour will be a challenge Monday for some to get there when DL opens at 8am.

Springing forward an hour will be a challenge Monday for some to get there when DL opens at 8am.

I had totally forgotten that. ooooooh boy.

Mondays have become busy days at DLR -- fairly consistently over the past year. Try to be at the parks for RD or as early as you can get there and use those morning hours to your advantage. Especially with DST starting the day before, the morning hours will be the least crowded time when you will get the most done in the parks. If DL opens at 8am that day, leaving Oceanside by 7am will not get you to the parks, parked in a lot, through bag check, at the gates and in line in time for opening. Check Google Maps and Waze to see how long they think the drive will be on a Monday morning so you can estimate a time (round up!) before your trip.
DL has longer hours on days when they expect larger crowds. It is not random. Keep checking the app for hours, though. We've had a lot of rainy weather recently. If the weather is very bad, it is possible that DLR may shorten the hours -- this happened once recently.
CS at DLR is quite good. The DLR website and app can show you your choices. Have a credit card on file on the app so that you can use Mobile Ordering to save time. If you might want to do parkhoppers, the Food & Wine Festival will be going on in DCA on your date. Menus should be published soon. That might be very fun for a sort of CS meal.

You will experience a little traffic, but nothing too horrific. It may actually take you less than 90 minutes if you leave by 7:00am. If you delay and leave around 8:00am, you'll have a lot more traffic and it will take you longer to get there. Either way, the traffic areas will be in small doses.

We are coming from the EST so yeah, I expect a harsh reality when spring forward takes effect. We aren’t trying to rope drop but just trying to avoid the bulk of rush hour. If that means going later, so be it. Thanks!

Mondays have become busy days at DLR -- fairly consistently over the past year. Try to be at the parks for RD or as early as you can get there and use those morning hours to your advantage. Especially with DST starting the day before, the morning hours will be the least crowded time when you will get the most done in the parks. If DL opens at 8am that day, leaving Oceanside by 7am will not get you to the parks, parked in a lot, through bag check, at the gates and in line in time for opening. Check Google Maps and Waze to see how long they think the drive will be on a Monday morning so you can estimate a time (round up!) before your trip.
DL has longer hours on days when they expect larger crowds. It is not random. Keep checking the app for hours, though. We've had a lot of rainy weather recently. If the weather is very bad, it is possible that DLR may shorten the hours -- this happened once recently.
CS at DLR is quite good. The DLR website and app can show you your choices. Have a credit card on file on the app so that you can use Mobile Ordering to save time. If you might want to do parkhoppers, the Food & Wine Festival will be going on in DCA on your date. Menus should be published soon. That might be very fun for a sort of CS meal.
For sure! Plan to check this Monday and the next for waze estimates on a Monday AM but always like to hear from people who live there.

We do not have a choice of days so Monday it is, with Tuesday being spent at DCA + the F&W festival. We go to WDW a few times a year and I grew up going to DL so we aren’t exactly totally helpless but we are going with people who haven’t been in ages so trying to get the best info possible. Mobile order is our friend at Wdw so I’m stoked to know it works at DL as well. Excited for F&W menus!

We understand that being in the park first thing most likely won’t happen so that maxpass will be necessary. Thanks for the info!

You will experience a little traffic, but nothing too horrific. It may actually take you less than 90 minutes if you leave by 7:00am. If you delay and leave around 8:00am, you'll have a lot more traffic and it will take you longer to get there. Either way, the traffic areas will be in small doses.
Thanks! Going to push for earlier for sure then. We are a group of 9 (ugh, I know) so I hope they listen!

For sure! Plan to check this Monday and the next for waze estimates on a Monday AM but always like to hear from people who live there.

We do not have a choice of days so Monday it is, with Tuesday being spent at DCA + the F&W festival. We go to WDW a few times a year and I grew up going to DL so we aren’t exactly totally helpless but we are going with people who haven’t been in ages so trying to get the best info possible. Mobile order is our friend at Wdw so I’m stoked to know it works at DL as well. Excited for F&W menus!

We understand that being in the park first thing most likely won’t happen so that maxpass will be necessary. Thanks for the info!
This Monday is a holiday so checking for drive time/traffic won’t tell you much. Personally I would expect you to hit traffic leaving Oceanside at 7am but not until you are in Mission Viejo about halfway there). However if you are carpooling (two or more to the car) and use the carpool lane it should be fine. I’d still leave earlier if you can, like 6:00 or 6:30 so you aren’t caught up in long lines for parking and security.

You will hit traffic. Mondays, whether 3 day weekends or not, have traffic. It could be 90 minutes. It could be 2 hours. If it's raining, expect it to be worse than if it's clear.

The midnight closing is probably due to the start of spring break season. The crowds will be more than non-spring break, but early March usually isn't too bad. It will be more packed in late March and April probably. If you're only there for a day though, you might want to try to arrive 15 to 30 minutes before rope drop to maximize your rides while minimizing long line wait times.

As for dining, that's a tough call. At DL, I think my honest favorite is probably the French Market. I just love the ambiance and they have great food. Hungry Bear has good ambiance, too. Sitting by the river is amazing and peaceful. At DCA, Concina Cucamunga as pretty good Mexican food. We don't do places that require reservations too often. We find them overpriced and it takes too much of a chunk out of the day.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!