• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feeling the Pinch, Feeling Entitled or Maybe a Little Bit of Both???

DisneyMomCT13

Earning My Ears
2008 was a special year for us, it was the year we experienced Disney as a family for the first time. We had an amazing adventure with our toddler and absolutely fell in love with WDW and the magic that we felt while there. Since then we've taken a number of WDW vacations, sailed with DCL several times and we've also ventured West to experience all that Disneyland and California Adventure have to offer.

I'm presently in the midst of planning our next Disney adventure for Spring of 2015. Maybe I've been wearing rose-colored glasses all of these years, but I don't recall having the same "less than magical" feelings when planning previous trips, as I'm experiencing now. I've been asking myself why I feel this way and I think I've discovered the root of my feelings. At some point over the past year or so I've flirted with greed and I think perhaps I may have finally crossed to the dark side... Just because we've been able to take these amazing Disney vacations in the past doesn't mean that we are entitled to take them in the future, or does it?

We are a hard working family, I clip coupons, we limit how often we dine out, we chose not to spend money on luxury cars and I know where every penny that we bring home goes. I do this so that we can afford our Disney splurges. Sadly I'm finding it more difficult to come up with the extra cash required to sustain our vacation habit. For us it began with increases in airfare over the years. In recent trips our travel dates have precluded us from taking advantage of reduced room rates or free dining that seemed to always work out for us in the past. And now the loss of the AAA discounts on WDW vacation packages means a whopping $300 - $400 blow to our budget. To top things off all family members will be considered adults the next time we travel, so park tickets and meals will become more expensive and that extra $10-$20 per meal at table service/buffet restaurants will certainly add up over the course of a week.

The other issue weighing on my mind is that of the "VIP" type experiences that I see popping up all over. Now it seems that for a price you can skip the line and avoid spending precious time on the curb waiting for parades. I used to feel that the high cost of a WDW vacation package including a stay at an on-property resort was worth it because we felt a bit like royalty when there. However now I feel that unless we hand over the credit card again to book one of these new experiences we'll be reduced to commoners just hoping to catch a glimpse of the magic from the sidelines.

So, am I just feeling the pinch of the economy finally catching up with our vacation habits??? Or have I crossed over to the dark side and am feeling entitled to all the magic we've experienced in the past, just because we remember how it used to be??? Perhaps I've lost sight of the real magic of a Disney vacation and I should just be grateful for the time off with my family in a beautiful place where we can all relax and just have fun.

Curious to hear what you think? :scratchin

Personally, the problem I'm having is the contrast between my Disney experiences now and the ones I had in the 80s along with the realization that we could do a lot of other things for less than the cost of Disney.

When I was a kid the park felt cleaner and upkeep seemed to be a goal for every single employee. Contrast that with our trip last September where we saw litter (empty soda bottles, maps, etc.) inside attractions like HM and cast members just stepped over the trash. Then there's the concept of being a second class Disney citizen. On our last trip we stayed at the Deluxe that was not testing magic bands. It was hard to hear that we weren't good enough to do some things. For example, we couldn't get a FP to rides because 'this is only for MB guests'.

For the cost of a 4 day Disney trip my family could go out of the country for the same period of time or do a week long trip at a nice resort closer to home. As much as I love the magic of Disney and the things you can't find anywhere else (sandy-bottom pool, resort theming, all those parks with a great transportation system) it's getting harder and harder to justify not trying someplace new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter