Feeling overwhelmed.

rosedolph

Mouseketeer
This is the first trip to WDW I will be taking with my special needs sister (she has down syndrome) since my Mom passed away. Planning this trip has become very overwhelming. I feel like I have an extra preschooler, but in an adult body - so she can't just be picked up and carried. She can not stand or walk for long periods of time, she also can not handle stairs. She will be in wheel chair but can transfer for rides. Anyone have any idea how this will work at the rides? She can not ride alone, but we are a large family of 8. Will we be split up - someone to go with Melody and the rest to wait? What about at shows with stairs to the seats? She is so excited that she will probably try to hug every character (and probably cast member) that we meet. Are they prepared for this, or should we avoid the meet and greets? Any other "special needs" tips would have liked to have known on your first trip?
I don't mean to sound whiny. Melody is a wonderful person, and a great addition to our family. To be honest I just had no idea how awesome my Mom was in caring for her, until it was my responsibility. My Mom made it look effortless.

Being able to transfer independently is a huge benefit (it takes two of us to transfer DS). You can take the wheelchair right through the lines, there are a few rides where there is an alternate path for wheelchairs because of stairs (TSMM and Splash) come to mind, but CMs are so very helpful. Some have different entrances (BTMR and SE). Just get out of your chair and onto the ride, your chair will be waiting for you. At most 3 or 4 steps. For shows, generally one person can sit beside your sister, others will be a row in front or behind. She will never have to leave her chair unless she chooses to. These are just mobility issues, you may also consider if the DAS is appropriate. It can, in unique circumstances accommodate a group of eight (we have used it for seven for one of our trips).

This post: "Advice needed - Traveling to WDW..." is a great place for you to start. The person who started that post has a brother with different issues than your sister, but the advice found there will possibly prove useful to you.

Then, take a deep breath. It sounds like your Mom was an amazing woman. I know you must miss her terribly, and that you may feel quite overwhelmed on a daily basis, let alone planning for a trip to WDW.

The thing to remember is that your Mom made it look effortless because she had been "practicing" since the day Melody was born. In time, you will find your own way, and you and Melody will develop a rhythm, a way of doing things that might be different than your Mom's, but that's OK.

Take a good look around here - if you go through the pages here, even just a few pages - you will find many of the answers to your questions, and probably more information that you can imagine! Dig in, and start reading!

I'm very sorry for your loss - and Melody's too. I know you miss your Mom, but you can do this!

I don't have any suggestions for your questions, but I did want to say something. YOU are an amazing person and sister for doing all you can for Melody. It may take you time to learn everything so don't be too hard on yourself. You can do this. I know you can!

I am also very sorry for the loss of your mother. I have been through that pain and it's nothing I would wish on my worst enemy. *HUGS*

One thing to consider are the ages of your children. You said that Melody can't ride alone, but what about your kids? They have to be at least 7 to not have to ride with an adult. If you can't arrange it on your own, make sure that you ask the ride attendants...they make have all of you wait through the line and then swap adults when some of the first group are done riding.

You CAN DO THIS. It may not be what you are used to, but you will make it through this trip which will give you more confidence when planning trips in the future.

I just realized that I never replied back and I’m sorry about that. Your responses were perfect and just what I needed. And it wasn’t just about helping me with Disney planning. Life was overwhelming at that moment, and your kind words were balm for my soul.
You all were right - Disney handled Melody’s needs wonderfully. We all had a blast! Thank you again for your advice, encouragement, and kind words. Our next trip is May 2019, and Melody is already counting down!

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that the trip went well, and that you and Melody have found your rhythm! (no pun intended, I promise!)

I hope your next trip together is a Magical as it can be! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!