Feeling left out

Buck1979

Earning My Ears
So I have a problem with the new system at WDW. It really seems to have evolved into a class system. They consistently move to a higher end approach, 3 true value resorts and a wide variety of upgrade choices, my family and I visited back in 2017 and chose to stay at the all star music. We only needed a place to put our things and place our heads at night. Over the last couple years life has kept us away tho not for a lack of trying. I know things change day to day but the last I have heard the all stars remain closed with a hand full of others also is it simply to hold off larger crowds with the new system, or does anyone else feel like they are pushing for a higher tier experience? I am by far not the wealthiest man and I can move into a moderate level hotel but I don't feel the need too. I look for more of the park experience than a resort stay with all that has gone into the world as of 2020 and being an essential worker i was really looking forward to a vacation but it won't be happening this year, honestly just wondering if anyone else was feeling this way at all? First time contributing so go gentle on me
Thanks for reading

So I have a problem with the new system at WDW. It really seems to have evolved into a class system. They consistently move to a higher end approach, 3 true value resorts and a wide variety of upgrade choices, my family and I visited back in 2017 and chose to stay at the all star music. We only needed a place to put our things and place our heads at night. Over the last couple years life has kept us away tho not for a lack of trying. I know things change day to day but the last I have heard the all stars remain closed with a hand full of others also is it simply to hold off larger crowds with the new system, or does anyone else feel like they are pushing for a higher tier experience? I am by far not the wealthiest man and I can move into a moderate level hotel but I don't feel the need too. I look for more of the park experience than a resort stay with all that has gone into the world as of 2020 and being an essential worker i was really looking forward to a vacation but it won't be happening this year, honestly just wondering if anyone else was feeling this way at all? First time contributing so go gentle on me
Thanks for reading

Check out Pop century. Will be open, same price (maybe $10-$20 more a night then all stars) and honestly has a better location. Also fort wilderness, ended up getting a cabin for $200 more than Pop for a 5 day visit. Don’t believe the “class system” bs with Disney, there’s always something you can work out.

Check out Pop century. Will be open, same price (maybe $10-$20 more a night then all stars) and honestly has a better location. Also fort wilderness, ended up getting a cabin for $200 more than Pop for a 5 day visit. Don’t believe the “class system” bs with Disney, there’s always something you can work out.
Agreed - Pop Century is in a far better location, and it's in better shape than all of the All Stars. Of course, it also has a Skyliner station, which is very nice. It does tend to be a little more expensive than the All Stars, but not by much, but it's a much better resort in general.

The All Stars being closed is purely a crowd management tactic, while the capacity at the parks is limited. They have kept hotels in all categories closed and only opened some of them. We were hoping to book POR for next year but have a room at POP booked for now, and will see about moving over once they reopen.

Also consider staying off property - that is what we normally do quite often any way

But now with now EMHs and no FPs (so no 60 day benefit) not as many benefits to staying on property and can find much more affordable options off property

Thanks for reading

From a financial perspective, it's not a fluke that the rooms that yield the most revenue per night are being opened first. To go along with that, the on property restaurants within those resorts also have the pricier dining experiences. It makes sense on the revenue front to have the resorts that bring in the most revenue per occupancy be the first to open.

So I have a problem with the new system at WDW. It really seems to have evolved into a class system. They consistently move to a higher end approach, 3 true value resorts and a wide variety of upgrade choices

This is literally nothing new and if anything they've gone in the opposite direction and added more options at different price points as time has gone on, and with the awesome renovations they've been doing to the Values they've also gotten rid of a lot of the arbitrary choices they made to differentiate them from the more expensive resorts (double beds, lack of coffee maker, etc). You also have a Moderate now in Gran Destino Tower that has Deluxe level amenities. Values and mods actually didn't even exist until like 20 years ago. When my family first started going there were no tiers at all, Contemporary and Polynesian were the only resorts. We stayed off property when I was really little and then when the Swan and Dolphin opened we started staying at those. I didn't stay on property for real until I was an adult.

For the rest of your post...no disrespect but this sounds like a you problem. Disney parks are like any other vacation destination, there is always going to be someone with more money than you having a different experience, but that doesn't mean it's an objectively better experience necessarily or that you can't have just as much fun spending less. Of course Disney offers more and more things to spend money on. "Add on itis" is a thing we talk about a lot around here. But you don't have to spend a fortune on your resort, dessert parties, etc to have a good time. Everyone's priorities are different and everyone does Disney differently, there's no right or wrong.

FWIW there are people who have stayed at all levels including CL at Deluxe resorts who nonetheless love Pop, especially now that it has the Skyliner.

This is literally nothing new and if anything they've gone in the opposite direction and added more options at different price points as time has gone on, and with the awesome renovations they've been doing to the Values they've also gotten rid of a lot of the arbitrary choices they made to differentiate them from the more expensive resorts (double beds, lack of coffee maker, etc). You also have a Moderate now in Gran Destino Tower that has Deluxe level amenities. Values and mods actually didn't even exist until like 20 years ago. When my family first started going there were no tiers at all, Contemporary and Polynesian were the only resorts. We stayed off property when I was really little and then when the Swan and Dolphin opened we started staying at those. I didn't stay on property for real until I was an adult.

For the rest of your post...no disrespect but this sounds like a you problem. Disney parks are like any other vacation destination, there is always going to be someone with more money than you having a different experience, but that doesn't mean it's an objectively better experience necessarily or that you can't have just as much fun spending less. Of course Disney offers more and more things to spend money on. "Add on itis" is a thing we talk about a lot around here. But you don't have to spend a fortune on your resort, dessert parties, etc to have a good time. Everyone's priorities are different and everyone does Disney differently, there's no right or wrong.

FWIW there are people who have stayed at all levels including CL at Deluxe resorts who nonetheless love Pop, especially now that it has the Skyliner.
I'm sorry if it came across as a pity me post, I was saying it seems weird to me that its mainly mid level experience and up. I never took it as disrespect thank you for the insight

Raises hand. That would be me.

I wish I could, my wallet would be a lot happier lol! I just find I get overstimulated easily by the giant icons and feel overwhelmed in food courts. I wouldn’t mind trying Pop now that the Skyliner is a thing but I think it would have to be a split.

It’s kind of a cliche but it really is great that Disney has so many resorts to choose from. There really is something for everyone.

I wish I could, my wallet would be a lot happier lol! I just find I get overstimulated easily by the giant icons and feel overwhelmed in food courts. I wouldn’t mind trying Pop now that the Skyliner is a thing but I think it would have to be a split.

It’s kind of a cliche but it really is great that Disney has so many resorts to choose from. There really is something for everyone.
If you travel during cooler weather, maybe give the LM rooms at AoA a try. Since the sections at AOA are themed so well they don’t feel as jarring to me as the All Star or Pop resorts do. I love Pop, but I know the theming can feel a little disjointed at times.

I have also stayed at all levels of resort, and was primarily a deluxe guest until AoA opened (with an occasional mod stay thrown in). I think it is possible to have a great vacation at any Disney resort so long as your expectations are realistic.

To the OP, definitely give Pop a try if you like All Stars. Now that the All Star rooms are being remodeled to be the same as Pop, there isn’t a lot of difference between them other than the Skyliner, and to me, it’s a big benefit.

Also, do not overlook the DVC angle in this situation. Once Disney made the decision to reopen some of it's resorts, they had to reopen all of the DVC resorts (yeah, I know Jambo isn't open but that's a technicality based on how the DVC portion of AKL is set up). So it simply made sense to reopen a lot of the deluxe resorts attached to DVC properties as soon as they felt it was possible. In order to maintain the low capacity they want right now, that didn't leave many options for them to reopen moderate and value resorts.

The fact that they are reopening Pop and CBR while keeping the non DVC portions of WL and AKL closed shows that they did try to offer some non - deluxe options. Look, I'm most definitely not a Disney apologist and I'm sure their accountants are very aware that deluxe resorts and their associated dining bring in way more revenue than the less expensive ones, but I don't think it's only about the finances. They had to open the DVC resorts, so it stands to reason that most of the open resorts are going to be the ones that share DVC facilities.

Last edited:
I think this is just a temporary measure to control crowds. Port Orleans is also not open yet, or WL. Our first on site stay was Pop, and we really enjoyed it. I have found recently that it's sometimes 30-40 more per night, but now with the Skyliner, it's even more appealing. I'd check it out. Also we've recently stayed offsite. Driving in can be a pain, but it's an option. We are DVC, but we don't mind staying at All stars if adding extra days, out of points, or whatever. our last stay at All Stars music was great! I personally hate all the add ons like dessert parties. I think they're so overpriced, and wont' do them, but seem to be so popular. Also the food prices always get me. I'd rather eat a sandwich in the hotel room, skip some in park meals, and so something else with that money. Hope you can get down there asap, hoping for a wonderful new normal.

We are also in the Pop Century camp - love it even more with the skyliner. We were there in January and thought the Skyliner was fantastic. Had a trip booked for early March at French Quarter and called partway through the January trip to change it to Pop - Skyliner definitely better than moving "up" to a moderate for us!

Last time I priced out POP for a stay this Sept, the premium over All Stars was much more than this. The $20 upcharge used to be the norm. With the skyliner, the prices jumped to $40-$50 a night more. It adds up over a week. I agree with the OP, All Stars offer an OK value esp when you only need a clean and safe place to sleep and shower. Bus system also excellent and efficient.

Last Fall I ditched my WDW Value resort vacation for a less $ Viking River cruise in Germany including all connecting flights and single supplement. Sure Viking offered some great fall deals. But also a reality check re how $ WDW vacations had become.

Last Fall I ditched my WDW Value resort vacation for a less $ Viking River cruise in Germany including all connecting flights and single supplement. Sure Viking offered some great fall deals. But also a reality check re how $ WDW vacations had become.

No doubt WDW vacations are expensive, but so are most other vacations. I always look at it like this.

Flights: If I'm flying from Canada or the US, the flights to MCO are going to be similar, if not a little bit cheaper than to anywhere else.

Hotels: Yes the Deluxes and Moderates are pretty expensive, but you can get a value resort on property for somewhere between $150 - $200/nt. In any other major city or touristy area, that's actually pretty reasonable. The resorts in general are in pretty good condition and offer a lot more amenities than most other hotels in that price range in most cities.

Transportation: Free!

Tickets: Definitely expensive, but if you go for 6 to 10 days, the average price goes down. Keep in mind, if you go anywhere else, your going to pay for other experiences. Sure, the park tickets may add up to more than you would pay for entertainment elsewhere, but I don't think it's dramatic if your going longer than a 3 to 4 days.

Food: For sure there is a premium on food, but I actually think the prices are reasonable, especially for the quick service. You can generally get a full quick service meal for $10-13. That's not really that much more than a random McDonalds. Quality is much higher and convenience is worth the pretty minimal premium. Table service has a slightly higher markup than the real world, but I think it's still reasonable considering the location.

If your comparing a week at WDW to a 3 day camping trip to a town an hour from your house, then of course its expensive. But if you compare a week to WDW to a week in any major US/Canadian city, a cruise, or a Caribbean All-Inclusive, the prices aren't ridiculous.

Thanks for reading

They're always looking to make more money. But remember, lots and lots of people are staying away because of the pandemic. They're not going to run out of spots. I got into Pop Century no problem. I reserved my parks no problem. It actually ended up being less expensive than I anticipated, and my flight is so early that I'm considering adding another park day, because why not. And the camp grounds are open if that's your thing (definitely not mine lol).

Disney has been in "money grab" mode for the past few years. I was amazed any of the value resorts were open. I assumed they would force people into more expensive resorts to recoup money.

Just a warning - once you go to Pop Century you'll never go back to the All Stars.

I go to DL in CA. It costs me significantly less, and I have a great time. I only go to FL now for Universal.

I think the pricing of WDW resorts is ridiculous.

This right here. In general, I do love Pop Century, as it's a very comfortable room for what you pay for it. Good "price per value" LOL. My only gripes are with the over-the-top theming (which grows on you fairly quickly) and that they don't give you lotion, and even in that case I just learned to bring my own.

I do hope that if they add an additional Value Resort, they go for a design scheme that's more subdued than the current ones. My idea has been something I call "Contempo II", with design loosely inspired by the Contemporary Resort, but at a value-oriented price point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!