Feeling discouraged about rain

jenniferrose

Mouseketeer
My trip is almost here and now there is rain in the forecast for almost the whole trip. I am seriously considering canceling. Someone convince me I shouldn't. :headache:

When the wife and I used to live in LA we used to love to go to DL in the rain! Being from the east coast it didn’t really bother us but rain sure did seem to bother the locals!

Rain at DL typically meant low crowds and short waits!

omg, noooo dont cancel just go prepared. Honestly it will be so much fun. The locals dont go to the park when it rains so crowd levels and wait times will be low. I was in Disneyland Paris Christmas 2013. It rained solidly and was about 40 F but it was till great fun. I had a poncho, 2 pairs of socks, leggings under jeans, layers and layers, hat scarf, gloves and just carried on as normal.

Oh gosh no! A rainy day will probably mean lower crowds-and if you’re looking more than ten days out (which I assume you are as my weather map doesn’t forecast much rain coming) those forecasts are likely to change a lot.

The full days we are there is next Wednesday/Thursday which shows 40% chance both days. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed at the cost of the hotel (We're staying at the Grand - first ever kid only trip for me and the hubs) and all the closures that this seems like one more thing.

The full days we are there is next Wednesday/Thursday which shows 40% chance both days. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed at the cost of the hotel (We're staying at the Grand - first ever kid only trip for me and the hubs) and all the closures that this seems like one more thing.

does it rain where you live? For me where I live the temperatures never raise higher than 70 F and it rains alot so I guess Im used to rain. Honestly going to Disneyland California is my happy place and it takes so much time (flying time is approx 11 hours) that a little rain would not make a difference.

I am in California so we don't get much rain. I know I am just being a baby. I need to just believe it will be perfect and it will.

Thanks all!

lol, your Sol Cal "sprinkles" make me laugh so much this is from a few years ago, but its typical of what a rainy day where I live is like (not my video, just one I found on YouTube)

I’m in CA as well and admittedly was hoping for sunny days and 70 degree weather when we go (same full days as you). But we were there last year on a rainy day and it really was not bad. We tried to hit up rides with indoor queues and spent some time inside Starbucks with a coffee.
Based on the forecast I would bet it may rain some but not all day long.

eyore here....if you don't ride GRR three times in a row, if you don't water ski, snow ski, fish or frolic in the pacific northwest ocean....then it will be a tough trip....it requires a mental state of pushing ahead to tour in the rain.....the only up side, is that the change of clothes waiting for you at GCH every two hours could actually make it a fun event. Children tend to remember the strange events in life, and changing shoes, socks and clothes every two hours makes for a memory they will share for a long time.

Last edited:
.it requires a mental state of pushing ahead to tour in the rain...

I know, right, its really tough both mentally and physically. Seeing actual real life water failing from the sky and then just forming these things called puddles, can be very traumatising. Like do you wade through them or avoid the area or what??? and then when those drops from the sky touch your sneakers, like do you have to put them in the trash can??

omg, I'm sooo stressed, whats this thing called an umbrella, I thought it was just a word Rihanna made up for her song and video!!!

Bad tink.......it is in your DNA....just like me coming from the Pacific Northwest....the rain is always in our face....but the bottom of my shorts are never wet, I am not trudging thru Oregon puddles for two hours in my athletic shoes, not sitting in the cold temps waiting for my turn to board????? not pulling my kids across the store parking lot, 5 times an hour........... fortunately, for me in Oregon, it is free....these folks have to pay for using the $12.00 umbrella, and does not even include the cost of the umbrella.

I will commiserate a little with you OP. When I visualize vacation it NEVER includes rain. I just had a rainy day in Honduras on a cruise. Better than being at home in a snowstorm? Well, yes. But I still would’ve strongly preferred a beautiful sunny day. I did wonder that maybe I shouldn’t have gone on the trip, and waited for another time.

It can still be a fun trip. But it won’t be the same as what you’ve imagined and set up for, so hopefully adjusting your thinking now will go a long way in helping the outcome! :)

NEXT week? Here's what to do: Don't look at the weather forecast until 48 hours out, and even then take it with a grain of salt.

You're stressing out over a guess that's more than a week out. You'll be OK :-)

Last edited:
I'm Californian and I always wish for colder weather and rain when I go to DLR! I kept hoping it might come this past weekend, but I'll take the big drop in temperature that wasn't originally predicted when I first started monitoring the weather for my trip. It's been nice having it not so warm the past couple days especially after suffering through very warm Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks.

Honestly, it's a good thing because there will be others put off by the rain (particularly if they didn't prepare for it). Sure, there are a couple rides it will shut down temporarily, but those are few. Just need to be prepared as others mentioned. Even my panda stuffy has a raincoat I put him in when it's wet out, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter