feel a little cheated by dvc

George may have not been a licensed real estate agent so he couldn't do the deal anyway. I doubt if a Guide would waste their time on chat, that is what an ASA or other less paid employee is for. They don't talk specifics over chat due to the fact that you might keep a record of what was said and if incorrect info is given, they may be liable. Same reason that Guides don't talk sales via email.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm sorry you feel cheated, I truly am. It would be helpful if you focus on that when you read the rest of what I am going to say because it will mitigate the risk that my intent is lost in the cold callousness that is the internet. Here goes.

Keep in mind that I am no Disney apologist. I love Disney and I love DVC, but if you read my posts on here you'll see that I am quick to call them out on things where I feel they can be better. In this case, I don't think Disney did anything wrong. The initial online chat representative told you the truth and it is probably way above her pay grade to parse communications to the point where she has to identify those who want to write a contract that night and those who are simply inquiring for informational purposes. Truth be told, you waited until 40 minutes before the deadline that had been publicized for two weeks to have someone write up, execute, and sign a contract for a major real estate purchase. While I understand you are disappointed, this one is kind of on you.

So remember that part in the beginning where I said I'm sorry you feel cheated...let's get back to that for a second because I am sorry you feel that way. But I don't think it's going to be helpful for you to continue to have those feelings and it definitely will not be helpful for you to pursue it when you are there in November. At that point there's really nothing they can do and you're just going to dig down deeper into your resentment. What happened to you sucks, and I'm sorry it didn't work out. The advice on this thread is going to hopefully help you work out how you proceed, and I wish you luck.
I agree that they didn't necessarily do anything "wrong," i'm just really surprised that when I called the next day and explained what happened, that they didn't just take my money and move on. we'd be happy, and they'd be happy. if its true that the deadline had been publicized for 2 weeks, I certainly hadn't heard it. I may be wrong, but I believe that Disney only confirmed it a few days before the deadline. much like many of their increases, they give very little notice. in regards to waiting until 40 minutes before the deadline, it was my understanding that its a relatively quick transaction over the phone, especially if you're putting it on your credit card (which I was going to do.) the other reason I waited that long was we're about to put out $6500 for a new central air unit, so its not an easy decision to drop another $12,000. thank you for wishing us luck, but we know its not gonna happen

I'm sorry you feel cheated, I truly am. It would be helpful if you focus on that when you read the rest of what I am going to say because it will mitigate the risk that my intent is lost in the cold callousness that is the internet. Here goes.

Keep in mind that I am no Disney apologist. I love Disney and I love DVC, but if you read my posts on here you'll see that I am quick to call them out on things where I feel they can be better. In this case, I don't think Disney did anything wrong. The initial online chat representative told you the truth and it is probably way above her pay grade to parse communications to the point where she has to identify those who want to write a contract that night and those who are simply inquiring for informational purposes. Truth be told, you waited until 40 minutes before the deadline that had been publicized for two weeks to have someone write up, execute, and sign a contract for a major real estate purchase. While I understand you are disappointed, this one is kind of on you.

So remember that part in the beginning where I said I'm sorry you feel cheated...let's get back to that for a second because I am sorry you feel that way. But I don't think it's going to be helpful for you to continue to have those feelings and it definitely will not be helpful for you to pursue it when you are there in November. At that point there's really nothing they can do and you're just going to dig down deeper into your resentment. What happened to you sucks, and I'm sorry it didn't work out. The advice on this thread is going to hopefully help you work out how you proceed, and I wish you luck.
I agree that they didn't necessarily do anything "wrong," i'm just really surprised that when I called the next day and explained what happened, that they didn't just take my money and move on. we'd be happy, and they'd be happy. if its true that the deadline had been publicized for 2 weeks, I certainly hadn't heard it. I may be wrong, but I believe that Disney only confirmed it a few days before the deadline. much like many of their increases, they give very little notice. in regards to waiting until 40 minutes before the deadline, it was my understanding that its a relatively quick transaction over the phone, especially if you're putting it on your credit card (which I was going to do.) the other reason I waited that long was we're about to put out $6500 for a new central air unit, so its not an easy decision to drop another $12,000. thank you for wishing us luck, but we know its not gonna happen
My response is going to be a little different, mostly because I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that being a direct DVC member is about more than just the finances.

I can see how being a direct DVC may have an emotional value to you and your wife (congratulations!) beyond just having points. Yea..you can get the white card via resale, or even keep renting points. But you could have also just kept dating, living together, etc. You didn't need to spend the money to get married. But you did, and when you did there's a reason that in this big world you chose the Poly to get married at. Perhaps it's the trips you've been taking, and the recent memories you've been making.

It stinks that you got treated the way you did, and that they weren't up front with you. There's no turning the clock back on that and unfortunately there are many others trying to escalate without much luck. But I have a question for you, is Disney really a big part of your life and the reason the two of you two are married? If so, the extra 25 points ($4000) is a lot of money; but maybe it is worth it.
your 1st paragraph is spot on. but in addition, we want the blue card to be able to stay at riviera and reflections, and any other new resort down the road. also, the AP discount for direct owners would save us over 800 per year. it would pay for itself in 5 years of direct opposed to resale. i also believe that disney will do everything in its power to continue to discourage resale. the blue card gives peace of mind

My response is going to be a little different, mostly because I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that being a direct DVC member is about more than just the finances.

I can see how being a direct DVC may have an emotional value to you and your wife (congratulations!) beyond just having points. Yea..you can get the white card via resale, or even keep renting points. But you could have also just kept dating, living together, etc. You didn't need to spend the money to get married. But you did, and when you did there's a reason that in this big world you chose the Poly to get married at. Perhaps it's the trips you've been taking, and the recent memories you've been making.

It stinks that you got treated the way you did, and that they weren't up front with you. There's no turning the clock back on that and unfortunately there are many others trying to escalate without much luck. But I have a question for you, is Disney really a big part of your life and the reason the two of you two are married? If so, the extra 25 points ($4000) is a lot of money; but maybe it is worth it.
your 1st paragraph is spot on. but in addition, we want the blue card to be able to stay at riviera and reflections, and any other new resort down the road. also, the AP discount for direct owners would save us over 800 per year. it would pay for itself in 5 years of direct opposed to resale. i also believe that disney will do everything in its power to continue to discourage resale. the blue card gives peace of mind
I'm going to echo the chorus and I think you're not going to get very far asking Disney to make an exception for you because in reality they didn't do anything wrong and I think you did a lot to sabotage yourself.

I've been on the receiving end of poor customer service and the only thing "George" did wrong was to not tell you that you really had 30 minutes to close the deal but he did tell you that he'd only be there for 30 minutes. That's not poor customer service.

You should only really be mad at yourself and you clearly made a lot of assumptions. You assumed that the transaction could be closed up until 9 pm because the office was open until 9 pm. You decided to engage in an online chat, rather than call, when time was of the essence to get the contract going. Even after "George" told you he was only going to be there for 30 more minutes, you waited an additional 50 minutes to actually call in. George tried to call you but you were on a "do not call" list. By finally calling in at 8:20 pm, you further assumed the real estate transaction could be done in 40 minutes.

After you were told no, you called the next day to ask for an exception. They inquired for you, and you were told no. You asked for a manager, and you were connected to George. He explained that they couldn't give you an exception. Now you'd like to sit down face-to-face if they could still give you an exception or if there is some other way you can get the deal you felt you were entitled to receive.

Had you been in the middle of processing the contract for the direct sale at the time 8 pm rolled around and then they said sorry, you can't buy direct, then I could understand the outrage.

But your outrage is misplaced.
we're not "outraged." we're just really surprised and disappointed that, under the circumstances, they didnt just sell us the 75 points when i called the next day. in our many trips to disney over the years, whenever we've been inconvenienced in any kind of way, they've been phenomenal in making things right. whether its with a room upgrade, additional fast passes, or a free dessert. thats one of the reasons we all love disney. i wasnt asking for anything free or any kind of pixie dust. i just asked for the opportunity to give them $12,000, based on the miscommunication from the night before.

I agree that they didn't necessarily do anything "wrong," i'm just really surprised that when I called the next day and explained what happened, that they didn't just take my money and move on. we'd be happy, and they'd be happy.
we're not "outraged." we're just really surprised and disappointed that, under the circumstances, they didnt just sell us the 75 points when i called the next day. in our many trips to disney over the years, whenever we've been inconvenienced in any kind of way, they've been phenomenal in making things right. whether its with a room upgrade, additional fast passes, or a free dessert. thats one of the reasons we all love disney. i wasnt asking for anything free or any kind of pixie dust. i just asked for the opportunity to give them $12,000, based on the miscommunication from the night before.
Here's what I think you might be missing...they would NOT have been happy to take your money. Not on SSR. If you were buying RIV then they would have been thrilled, and although difficult to prove, I think they might have made the exception the next day if you were buying RIV. Hopefully someone with direct experience with this will chime in.

DVC salespeople don't like resale. They certainly don't like people who try to use loopholes to exploit the system and then spend a bulk of their money on resale, which is what you, along with a majority of the people trying to get 75 points in under the wire, were doing. I'm envisioning the DVC salespeople wearing party hats with a huge countdown clock in the room, ticking down to 9 pm when yet another set of restrictions kicks in to try to make it more difficult for people to split their ownerships between direct and resale. They have not made exceptions to any other round of restrictions or changes: in fact, the second to last round of restrictions came with a hard deadline that contracts had to close by; a lot of owners in the ROFR process missed that deadline. This is business and sometimes business is war. They're not going to help you win. How's that for pixie dust?

In fairness, I don't blame them. They are working for a living and they make their living by selling DVC - specifically the resorts that are being actively marketed. People looking to do anything else are standing in the way of their making a living. I can see why they wouldn't go out of their way to facilitate that.

You waited until 40 mins until the close of business on the last day to do this and you feel cheated??
ok, maybe cheated is not the right word. imagine you walk into a store at 7:20 that closes at 9:00. now imagine that you have a brief conversation with 2 of the stores employees. one of which confirms with you that the store closes at 9, and the other tells you that "he's" leaving at 8. so you continue shopping and gather your items and take them to the register. only to be told that you had to make your purchase by 8:00. so you call the manager the next day hoping that something could be worked out. you did nothing wrong, you assumed that since the store was open until 9, and since neither of the 2 employees thought to mention that you must checkout by 8:00, that something could be worked out.
well, when I called the next day I was told no. perhaps disappointed is a better word

Here's what I think you might be missing...they would NOT have been happy to take your money. Not on SSR. If you were buying RIV then they would have been thrilled, and although difficult to prove, I think they might have made the exception the next day if you were buying RIV. Hopefully someone with direct experience with this will chime in.

DVC salespeople don't like resale. They certainly don't like people who try to use loopholes to exploit the system and then spend a bulk of their money on resale, which is what you, along with a majority of the people trying to get 75 points in under the wire, were doing. I'm envisioning the DVC salespeople wearing party hats with a huge countdown clock in the room, ticking down to 9 pm when yet another set of restrictions kicks in to try to make it more difficult for people to split their ownerships between direct and resale. They have not made exceptions to any other round of restrictions or changes: in fact, the second to last round of restrictions came with a hard deadline that contracts had to close by; a lot of owners in the ROFR process missed that deadline. This is business and sometimes business is war. They're not going to help you win. How's that for pixie dust?

In fairness, I don't blame them. They are working for a living and they make their living by selling DVC - specifically the resorts that are being actively marketed. People looking to do anything else are standing in the way of their making a living. I can see why they wouldn't go out of their way to facilitate that.
[/QU
obviously they don't need my money. its just a shame that because of this we're going to have to go 100% with resale. we don't want to, but they give us no choice. rather than give them my $12,000, its going to someone else. we're not feeling very magical

I have to say, I've been noticing a trend recently regarding Disney in general and DVC specifically, and it's cropping up a lot here on this thread. I'm uncomfortable with the attitude that just because we want to spend money with a business that they need to genuflect and thank us profusely. There's a sense of entitlement out there that whenever something happens with Disney that we don't like that they are somehow insulting us by refusing to take our money and we will punish them by withholding said money. Say what you want about a couple of salespeople who push the boundaries, but as a general rule Disney employees, including those who work for DVC, are honest, hard-working people who go out of their way to make some of the most demanding customers anywhere happy while doing so for little pay as they sit back and watch their parent company rake in BILLIONS of dollars in profits. They are constantly under the microscope: it has to suck to be them a lot of the time. Regardless, they are by and large respectful and yes, grateful. Unfortunately, more times than I can count I have seen people treat CMs poorly or denigrate them in some form or fashion. That's sort of what's happening here and it's not right.

We have a deal with Disney, and all businesses really. We spend our money and they treat us fairly. They shouldn't abuse their customers, and we shouldn't make them kiss our feet because we chose to spend our money with them. It smacks of entitlement. What happened to the OP in this case was unfortunate, and he has every right to be disappointed that things didn't work out. But to paint the OP as the victim here and Disney as the bad guy is wrong. And it's insulting to suggest that the OP is somehow teaching them a lesson by holding back his hard-earned money. Disney, with its top-notch customer service, has conditioned us to believe that we will always get our way. But that's not the way of the world and it's not the way of The World. I think it would behoove us all to learn how to take "no" for an answer instead of raking people over the coals and taking to the internet to bash hard-working, honest people.

They have posted hours until 9PM. You spoke to 2 different CM's about purchasing and one of them also stated the 9PM time and neither stated that the 9PM really meant 8PM for buying under the 75 point blue card amount.

Yeah, I get it. It's weird and I find nothing to defend about it.

ok, maybe cheated is not the right word. imagine you walk into a store at 7:20 that closes at 9:00. now imagine that you have a brief conversation with 2 of the stores employees. one of which confirms with you that the store closes at 9, and the other tells you that "he's" leaving at 8. so you continue shopping and gather your items and take them to the register. only to be told that you had to make your purchase by 8:00. so you call the manager the next day hoping that something could be worked out. you did nothing wrong, you assumed that since the store was open until 9, and since neither of the 2 employees thought to mention that you must checkout by 8:00, that something could be worked out.
well, when I called the next day I was told no. perhaps disappointed is a better word
But this isn't a bag of Skittles you were hoping to check out at 9 pm with. And like most restaurants, the place may be open but at some point, the kitchen shuts down. This is a real estate transaction. And as others have said, you needed them more than they needed you. You weren't asking for Riveria, you weren't asking for 1,000 points, you were most likely based on a chat log experience another person kicking the tires. Chat is designed to answer questions and move on and not sign contracts. I imagine 100 other people called the next day saying I was busy, forgot, can't you make an exception for me since I wanted to buy yesterday and didn't. And every conversation started off with "but your Disney, my money is green." I am sorry it worked out this way, I think you will end up in a better position regardless.

I definately get your disappointment.

Resale is the bomb and you should seriously consider it. Poly is priced pretty good and there are a lot of contracts available.

I talked to DVC once about adding OKW and felt like they were outright annoyed with me. I quickly learned from that conversation that they only really want to sell the new resort. It was a very different interaction from the regular Disney cast I was used to interacting with. It was kind of offputting. My place will always be resale. Proud 2nd class DVC citizen!

But this isn't a bag of Skittles you were hoping to check out at 9 pm with. And like most restaurants, the place may be open but at some point, the kitchen shuts down. This is a real estate transaction. And as others have said, you needed them more than they needed you. You weren't asking for Riveria, you weren't asking for 1,000 points, you were most likely based on a chat log experience another person kicking the tires. Chat is designed to answer questions and move on and not sign contracts. I imagine 100 other people called the next day saying I was busy, forgot, can't you make an exception for me since I wanted to buy yesterday and didn't. And every conversation started off with "but your Disney, my money is green." I am sorry it worked out this way, I think you will end up in a better position regardless.

Funny you mention the restaurant. We operated restaurants for years. I like restaurants that post hours that mean you are allowed to walk in and have a meal up until the closing time and that is exactly how we ran things. Open until 9PM? That means a party might come in at 9PM, sit down and order.

You also said "I told George I was interested in 75 pts" Can you imagine how many chats a day they talk to people who are "interested"? If you said you wanted to buy, this evening a contract, I imagine George would have responded differently.

They have posted hours until 9PM. You spoke to 2 different CM's about purchasing and one of them also stated the 9PM time and neither stated that the 9PM really meant 8PM for buying under the 75 point blue card amount.

Yeah, I get it. It's weird and I find nothing to defend about it.

WDW takes 8:55pm reservations for restaurants that 'technically' close at 9:00pm, so I understand the expectation and don't find it at all unreasonable. WDW also sells fantasmic dining packages where you pay extra to eat at a lousy restaurant and receive 'guaranteed seating' only to be turned away almost an hour prior to showtime because they seated everyone waiting anyway and it's full. This is just another joy of being a Disney fan, I'm afraid. Gotta take the good with the bad.

!! Welcome back! Long time no see.

Last edited:
You also said "I told George I was interested in 75 pts" Can you imagine how many chats a day they talk to people who are "interested"? If you said you wanted to buy, this evening a contract, I imagine George would have responded differently.

75 points was key to anyone talking about sales. Should have been an immediate "ok - then we have to get things started by 8PM".

They have not made exceptions to any other round of restrictions or changes: in fact, the second to last round of restrictions came with a hard deadline that contracts had to close by; a lot of owners in the ROFR process missed that deadline.

That was the original policy, then they switched to "sent to ROFR by" like the previous round of restrictions after a lot of backlash.

And I am petty sure there are some states that they cannot sell DVC over the phone to anyone.
This is absolutely true. Especially a resort like Saratoga. The live resort (RIviera) will have the most remote options. Anything "sold out," they will not be renewing license to sell direct remotely. So in many states, they cannot sell Saratoga by phone. And Quebec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!