Feeding tube and dining plan

So it's completely reasonable to expect her to leave her child somewhere away from them because that's all the restaurant can do? What about people in actual wheelchairs? No reason they couldn't have moved a chair from the table.

if the stroller juts out from the table more than the chair does, its a safety issue, period. more than once I had to transfer from my WC to a standard chair, and not just Teppen Edo. Brown Derby is another one where the tables are stupidly close together. so unless the OP indicated they needed handicapped seating on the reservation, requiring the stroller be set aside is pretty reasonable. it is not the restaurant's fault or problem to solve if that accommodation is unacceptable/unworkable for the OP.

So it's completely reasonable to expect her to leave her child somewhere away from them because that's all the restaurant can do? What about people in actual wheelchairs? No reason they couldn't have moved a chair from the table.
we have eaten there with our DD using a standard wheelchair. We’ve also eaten there with someone using an ECV.
The ECV user was asked to park the ECV and transfer to a chair, which they did.
They removed a chair and our DD was able to park her wheelchair at the table.
These are overview pictures of Teppan Edo from the Disney World website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...ppan-edo-gallery03#detailsMediaPlayer=0/0/0/3
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...ppan-edo-gallery04#detailsMediaPlayer=0/0/0/4

It might be useful to view images of the restaurant for anyone with special needs/concerns.
Disney has been adding photo galleries to their website for hotels/resorts, but also for restaurants.

Thanks to all who had helpful tips and info.

Sorry this thread wasn't meant to be a complaint about Teppan it was to be about the DDP and tube. To clarify we never used to flag our daughter as handicapped because at time she wasn't. She was a baby/toddler who was still in a carseat or stroller. No different than any other child. Her stroller has never been oversized and when allowed to be pushed to the table always fit fine and did not create a safety hazard. Any parent who would jeopardize their child by having them be in the way must be really hungry! DD safety and comfort is always my first priority which is why i said we no longer eat there. And not bc of safety but bc how management made it clear they were upset she didn't buy any food. I've seen plenty of ppl on these boards and in person go to BOG and order 1 cupcake or nothing for their parties just to get early access to MK. At least we eat for the whole table just not for those who can't safely eat.

As for Ohana we talked to the hostess as well as server and had no issues with DD. They let us take her stroller in and also didn't charge us for her. No big deal for them and they didn't give us a hard time.

I'm aware this may be case by case (we are doing 1900 Park Fare this am). As a mom of a tubie who's often stressed when traveling (BLT lost one of our boxes of formula and supplies for 2 days and just located last night) I had just wanted to share some info that some might make the decision we made to not have the DDP. It's definitely a risk but so is overeating just to burn her credits.

Just wanted to update that in addition to Ohana, 1900 Park and Tusker house ROL both didn't charge us for meals for DD. We didn't ask but the servers said they could tell she wasn't eating and it didn't make sense to charge her.

We of course were expecting a charge due to it being a character meal. It has been really bittersweet to recognize how "obvious" DD condition is starting to look and not just because she's in a red tag DAS stroller. It's been a emotional roller coaster so far and we are about halfway done.

A lot of ppl here for the week between Xmas and NYE and I have seen so many parents yelling at each other and others complain about folks in wheelchairs or ECV. It's been sad to have to hear but i know those people don't care. Case in point, we FP Lion king today and so we got seated in lower seats so DD could stay in stroller as it's more comfy for her. We had several families sit next to us (who were not in any party needing the disabled seating) And loudly proclaiming that if someone showed up they had seats "up there" those ppl could sit in. Not understanding that some folks can't make it up all those steps. It was disheartening to say the least or to hear people complain on Disney buses how it was taking too long due to a ECV or wheelchair. It could just be the crankiness of the time of year but it didn't feel very good to have people complain (not always about me) but about things that affect me.

Just wanted to update that in addition to Ohana, 1900 Park and Tusker house ROL both didn't charge us for meals for DD. We didn't ask but the servers said they could tell she wasn't eating and it didn't make sense to charge her.

We of course were expecting a charge due to it being a character meal. It has been really bittersweet to recognize how "obvious" DD condition is starting to look and not just because she's in a red tag DAS stroller. It's been a emotional roller coaster so far and we are about halfway done.

A lot of ppl here for the week between Xmas and NYE and I have seen so many parents yelling at each other and others complain about folks in wheelchairs or ECV. It's been sad to have to hear but i know those people don't care. Case in point, we FP Lion king today and so we got seated in lower seats so DD could stay in stroller as it's more comfy for her. We had several families sit next to us (who were not in any party needing the disabled seating) And loudly proclaiming that if someone showed up they had seats "up there" those ppl could sit in. Not understanding that some folks can't make it up all those steps. It was disheartening to say the least or to hear people complain on Disney buses how it was taking too long due to a ECV or wheelchair. It could just be the crankiness of the time of year but it didn't feel very good to have people complain (not always about me) but about things that affect me.

I'm sorry you are having an emotional trip; I've been there and done that, and it can be far more difficult than many folks imagine.

You may be noticing the complainers and the cranky people more because of your current situation; you are now hyper-aware of the fact that DD's condition is more obvious. It's like when you buy a new car, and you suddenly see that same car *everywhere*, even though before you didn't really notice anyone else who drives them.

Some people speak from ignorance, others from fear. And some - a few - are just determined to be jerks. Remember that those who speak from fear or ignorance will (at some point) have a loved one, or they themselves will be, in need of assistance, and they will learn then. The jerks you just have to ignore; trying to "educate" them, or interacting with them in any way does no good - they are bullies, plain and simple, and are best dealt with by ignoring them.

Take a deep breath, and as you go through the rest of your time at WDW, remember that anyone who complains about others - for any reason - is to be pitied, because they are missing out on the Magic and wonder to spend their time trying to make someone else as miserable as they are.

(((hugs)))

I'm sorry you are having an emotional trip; I've been there and done that, and it can be far more difficult than many folks imagine.

You may be noticing the complainers and the cranky people more because of your current situation; you are now hyper-aware of the fact that DD's condition is more obvious. It's like when you buy a new car, and you suddenly see that same car *everywhere*, even though before you didn't really notice anyone else who drives them.

Some people speak from ignorance, others from fear. And some - a few - are just determined to be jerks. Remember that those who speak from fear or ignorance will (at some point) have a loved one, or they themselves will be, in need of assistance, and they will learn then. The jerks you just have to ignore; trying to "educate" them, or interacting with them in any way does no good - they are bullies, plain and simple, and are best dealt with by ignoring them.

Take a deep breath, and as you go through the rest of your time at WDW, remember that anyone who complains about others - for any reason - is to be pitied, because they are missing out on the Magic and wonder to spend their time trying to make someone else as miserable as they are.

(((hugs)))
You hit the nail right on the head. It's been emotional due to our recent news of her major surgery next month and this happens to be her last WDW trip before it. I just want her to be the most comfortable as we have taken many trips before and would attempt to carry her and stand in line (And at 40 lbs it's much harder to do and with 1 year old sister as well).

I've been trying to not react to those who are being nasty and making snide comments. I think that it's sad for humanity when a place that's meant for families has families who are teaching their kids that it's ok to be rude or inpatient with those who can't help it.

But you're right last night we tried to board bus back to AK. I have been wanting to take another Minnie van but for some reason Dad doesn't. And so we stood in the handicap access line as the CM told us to. The driver totally didn't see us and loaded the entire bus. Dad had to go over and then she tried to board us. So folks who had sat in the disability seats even though the back of bus was open had to move and there were limited spots for us.

A nice gentleman who was sitting with his family offered to let me have his seat so i didn't have to stand. I thanked him but said i wanted to stand as I didn't want DD to sit alone away from her family and he said he understood. But I appreciate the offer and I appreciate not all people are unaware.

These boards have always been helpful for new info as well as for DAS and I think it's great Disney tries to be so accommodating as for some families (Like my own) being able to be "normal" for a week is the break we all need now and then.

But the last few trips each time we came with DD *who was under 3 and didn't require a purchase* they basically caused a huge scene and made us feel like we were scum.
It doesnt appear, from your posts and responses, that you included your daughter in any reservations when she was under 3? If so, what you're calling discrimination could simply be the restaurant scrambling to accommodate an unexpected guest.
I've seen plenty of ppl on these boards and in person go to BOG and order 1 cupcake or nothing for their parties just to get early access to MK.
BOG is Disney-owned (as are the three restaurants that didn't charge you. Teppan Edo is not.I
I've been trying to not react to those who are being nasty and making snide comments
Which responses are you cg nasty or snide?

It doesnt appear, from your posts and responses, that you included your daughter in any reservations when she was under 3? If so, what you're calling discrimination could simply be the restaurant scrambling to accommodate an unexpected guest.

BOG is Disney-owned (as are the three restaurants that didn't charge you. Teppan Edo is not.I

Which responses are you cg nasty or snide?
I think the responses being talked about were people’s comments in the park/at resort/ on buses.

I’d like to remind people of this Open Letter From SueM thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/an-open-letter-from-suem.1492593/

We recently returned and had a wonderful experience with my 11 year old daughter who is TPN dependent and g-tube fed formula. The rest of my family was on DDP and every restaurant was so understanding and never charged us for her and we were always seated in great spots with her wheelchair. WDW is the only place where we feel she is truly accommodated and can do so many things she can't do at home (Toronto, Canada). She doesn't walk or talk, but the smiles and arm waving when she gets to experience a ride or interact with a character is worth all the money we spend on this trip.

I think it had everything to do with the blatent safety issue that a stroller pushed up to a table in the middle of a crowded restaurant is, and very little to do with her not eating. Usually when a family has a highchair need, they put your party in the most out-of-the-way spot in the restaurant. When taking my DD out and about to eat when she was stroller-aged, I never had a restaurant once tell me I was allowed to push the stroller up to the table... I had to hold her, or put her in a highchair, for safety/liability reasons.

I can totally understand why the restaurant staff did not want to risk trying to maneuver HOT food and beverages around a stroller AND the other guests. That is why the TS restaurants have some kind of stroller parking outside. The Stroller-as-a-Wheelchair only works for RIDES. Not bathrooms or gift shops or restaurants.... :( I think that's where this definition of "access" got a little skewed...

Also if Teppan Edo is that style of Japanese steakhouse where they cook in front of you and you are sharing the table with a bunch of strangers, that style of restaurant REALLY cannot support a stroller pushed up to a table, it's just too chaotic. I can understand THEIR confusion; if she's not eating, then why does she need to be at the table, and if she needs to be at the table, then why isn't she in someone's lap? They don't know the in's and out's of your child's condition and they don't need to know the details. If you refuse to be accommodated in the ways that they can provide, they aren't discriminating, they are simply unable to provide exactly what you are demanding.

If you have Dining Plan on this trip, I'd just maximize the Character Meals you can get, and work lots of snacks into your stay with the credits you have. Because I can sadly see where the pushback from management would come from, each and every time you try to sit down and have "a nice family meal" at a TS restaurant and why there is this policy to begin with... :(

Ugh how frustrating, I hope you can come up with an idea that works best for everyone in your family!

but do they do that to people in wheelchairs as well.? never been and my husband is in a wheelchair so would he be placed in a corner away from us? if this little girls stroller is a wheelchair and they tried to place her in a corner . would they do that to my husband ? this would determine whether we go .

but do they do that to people in wheelchairs as well.? never been and my husband is in a wheelchair so would he be placed in a corner away from us? if this little girls stroller is a wheelchair and they tried to place her in a corner . would they do that to my husband ? this would determine whether we go .
I have had to transfer from EVC to a chair because ECV took up too much space the same could be true of stroller as wheels sticking out in aisle would be a trip hazard for guests and employees not to mention hot food being dropped on child. wheels sticking out and another person comes by and foot rest of their wheelchair hits back wheels of stroller tripping stroller over. yes these could happen and why stroller not allowed at table but wheelchair could be as it fits closer to table

Most strollers sit lower than wheelchairs. If pulled up to the table, the child could be under the table, or possibly bumping head/face on the edge of the table. That’s usually why strollers aren’t allowed by many restaurants. The stroller would stick out more than a wheelchair. Restaurants aren’t going to individually check height of different strollers or children as that will vary constantly. A “stroller-as-wheelchair” tag is only for attractions; it has no official meaning at restaurants (or for transportation). I’ve never eaten at a restaurant that didn’t require my child to use the high chair or be held on a lap.

Most strollers sit lower than wheelchairs. If pulled up to the table, the child could be under the table, or possibly bumping head/face on the edge of the table. That’s usually why strollers aren’t allowed by many restaurants. The stroller would stick out more than a wheelchair. Restaurants aren’t going to individually check height of different strollers or children as that will vary constantly. A “stroller-as-wheelchair” tag is only for attractions; it has no official meaning at restaurants (or for transportation). I’ve never eaten at a restaurant that didn’t require my child to use the high chair or be held on a lap.
THIS, exactly. All of y'all in wheelchairs are fine. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter