Feedback on Whirlpool and Air Bathss

DISfirstTimer

Mouseketeer
Totally not Disney related but would love any input from people who own Whirlpool and/or Air baths. We are about to begin a remodel on our children's bathroom (to occur while we are away at Disney!) and my 4yo Princess is requesting a "jet tub." This would be something she would use 4 or more times a week. From my findings my concern with a Whirlpool is that water stays in the pipes and mold etc could grow in there. My concern with an Air bath is that it apparently cools the bath off quickly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Totally not Disney related but would love any input from people who own Whirlpool and/or Air baths. We are about to begin a remodel on our children's bathroom (to occur while we are away at Disney!) and my 4yo Princess is requesting a "jet tub." This would be something she would use 4 or more times a week. From my findings my concern with a Whirlpool is that water stays in the pipes and mold etc could grow in there. My concern with an Air bath is that it apparently cools the bath off quickly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have experience with both. When my husband and I were first married we lived in a townhouse that had a jetted tub. I enjoyed it but the mold is certainly an issue, particularly if you go a few days or more in between uses. I would clean it by filling the tub with water and a few cups of bleach and running the jets.

We then moved and didn’t have either for about 15 years and I missed it. When we remodeled our bath a few years ago we added a tub with the air “jets”. I use it several times a week for a good part of the year. There are several issues with it though:
1. It does cool off the water fast. If I use it for 20 min I typically add hot water part way through or get out when I get too cold.
2. The air jets are not as forceful as a whirlpool type. I often use the tub for pain in my feet/ankles. Although still helpful, it does not do the same as far as pain relief for me—probably not an issue for a 4 year old though!
3. I still get mold in the air jets—not as much or as often but it still occurs. Ours is set up so that about 10 min after I turn it off (giving me time to get out and drain the tub) a 30 second cycle of air blowing runs to clear out any water that may have seeped into the jets. Sometimes someone will take a bath without using the jets which means the 30 second cycle doesn’t run. I suspect water gets in then and causes the mold. It would be an easy fix just to run the air after any bath if only my family would cooperate.

The remodeling trend for whirlpool and jet tubs are pretty much over for most people in my area. Too expensive to fill, most people take showers and problems with getting repairs seem to top the list.

Since you are sure this is what you want check with local real estate brokers (for payback) and licensed contractors who know your plumbing code for an area specific response.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. It helps a lot actually.

Sometimes someone will take a bath without using the jets which means the 30 second cycle doesn’t run. I suspect water gets in then and causes the mold. It would be an easy fix just to run the air after any bath if only my family would cooperate.

This was especially helpful as I was considering using the tub along with the shower so this would mean water would be getting in all the time!

Another thing I thought of was to make sure your daughter knows that she cannot use any type of bubble bath when the jets are on. Your entire bathroom would be filled with suds in no time—and yes, one of my girls learned this the hard (messy) way.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. It helps a lot actually.

This was especially helpful as I was considering using the tub along with the shower so this would mean water would be getting in all the time!

The air holes are high enough up that I don’t think enough shower water gets in to be a factor. Ours is also a tub/shower combo. The whirlpool one we had was separate, but this just replaced the original tub.

The remodeling trend for whirlpool and jet tubs are pretty much over for most people in my area. Too expensive to fill, most people take showers and problems with getting repairs seem to top the list.

Since you are sure this is what you want check with local real estate brokers (for payback) and licensed contractors who know your plumbing code for an area specific response.

Although I use the tub frequently and am glad we have it, our contractor did try to talk us out of installing it. He said as a contractor he takes out far more of them than he installs and most people don’t use them them as much as they think they will.

Although I use the tub frequently and am glad we have it, our contractor did try to talk us out of installing it. He said as a contractor he takes out far more of them than he installs and most people don’t use them them as much as they think they will.

My contractor also said I should seriously considering not doing it!

I'm trying to talk my husband into a Hot Tub instead!

I love my jetted tub. It is a pain to clean, but it nice after a long day at work and I just want to relax. It was my one of my main requirements when we built our house. We have a shower head above ours so that we could take a shower too if we wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!