February 2016 Pre-trip and Trip Reports

Sirenia88, was that KOA the Jacksonville North/St. Mary's KOA? We're stopping there this August on our way down.
I've been following and really enjoying everyone's trip reports. I look forward to yours, jbrostek!

We have a reservation for that campground also, at the end of our trip coming home, at the end of the month.

I won't rub in the weather to those back in VA or Chris and Paul in PA.
Thanks! :goodvibes

It snowed here Sunday, but it's going to be 60 by Friday and mid 60s on Saturday.
Yeah, we had bitter cold temps the past couple of days (in the negatives) then yesterday (afternoon) it started snowing, accumulating several inches. (roads were horrible. It was a wet heavy snow). Then it turned to sleet, freezing rain then finally this morning to all rain. Roads are still terrible because the ground is still very cold (and icy) but the air temp this AM when I got in my Truck was 43 degrees (and rising). Supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow too.

All I can say, is this has been one crazy winter for us here in PA.

Sirenia88, was that KOA the Jacksonville North/St. Mary's KOA? We're stopping there this August on our way down.
I've been following and really enjoying everyone's trip reports. I look forward to yours, jbrostek!

We have a reservation for that campground also, at the end of our trip coming home, at the end of the month.

Yup that is the place. IIRC, it was about 3 hours to the gates of WDW with minimal traffic. The exit itself has a couple of fuel stops. Exit 3 has a Crackerbarrel and more fuel. So it is a nice stop point for fuel, food, and sleep. I like the KOA since it was 30 a night for a pull through. The bathrooms were pretty close to the pull through sites. It had a dog park for the pups as well. Easy on and off too.

From what I heard there was snow followed by lots of ice. My house mates have said powered stayed on but they genset is there just in case anyway.

I would rather be away from the comfort station, it gives my lil pin girl way too much to bark at. But I like the site and 400 loop and its proximity to things and the larger sites. I had some consulting work to do first thing yesterday morning and help a friend down on the trip with me deal with a dead computer. He is a small business owner and having no way to remote into the office and check on progress at his repair shop is just impossible. So once that was done it was a little late, but Caren and I drove over to epcot to activate our annual passes, by our tables in wonderland and have a light lunch. After we came back and took care of the dogs and then last night we ate at Morimoto Asia, I can say it was a great recommendation. I really enjoyed the food and had a little of everything.

0105cffa02f47c679e26c1758be06103f91dc113c1.jpg

After we walked the stores on the way back to the bus, I got a new leash and collar for my Brandy girl.

IMG_1558.JPG

We got back to the camper before 8 and with MK open till 12 we decided to go catch wishes. The audio conked out about half way through the show and came back just in time for the finale. My only thought was "Well someone is going to get yelled at for that." We got back to the RV by 11 and a good nights rest. Caren got a great shot of the Castle last night.

01f0ae992d6b0afb9a9f57ac672730706fb76ef466.jpg

This morning has been a slow start but we are off to likely Hollywood Studios today. Not sure exactly sure what the dinner plans are but tomorrow we are doing a group breakfast at the campers. So its time for me to walk the dogs, get clean and dressed and head to the parks.

From what I heard there was snow followed by lots of ice. My house mates have said powered stayed on but they genset is there just in case anyway.

I would rather be away from the comfort station, it gives my lil pin girl way too much to bark at. But I like the site and 400 loop and its proximity to things and the larger sites. I had some consulting work to do first thing yesterday morning and help a friend down on the trip with me deal with a dead computer. He is a small business owner and having no way to remote into the office and check on progress at his repair shop is just impossible. So once that was done it was a little late, but Caren and I drove over to epcot to activate our annual passes, by our tables in wonderland and have a light lunch. After we came back and took care of the dogs and then last night we ate at Morimoto Asia, I can say it was a great recommendation. I really enjoyed the food and had a little of everything.

View attachment 151604

After we walked the stores on the way back to the bus, I got a new leash and collar for my Brandy girl.

View attachment 151608

We got back to the camper before 8 and with MK open till 12 we decided to go catch wishes. The audio conked out about half way through the show and came back just in time for the finale. My only thought was "Well someone is going to get yelled at for that." We got back to the RV by 11 and a good nights rest. Caren got a great shot of the Castle last night.

View attachment 151605

This morning has been a slow start but we are off to likely Hollywood Studios today. Not sure exactly sure what the dinner plans are but tomorrow we are doing a group breakfast at the campers. So its time for me to walk the dogs, get clean and dressed and head to the parks.

Very nice picture of the castle, Caren. We got about 3 inches of snow last night in NEPA, this morning it was a sheet of ice, and it is currently raining cat and dogs with everything melting away. On the bright side, the truck should be clean now for the trip down, thank you mother nature.

Yup that is the place. IIRC, it was about 3 hours to the gates of WDW with minimal traffic. The exit itself has a couple of fuel stops. Exit 3 has a Crackerbarrel and more fuel. So it is a nice stop point for fuel, food, and sleep. I like the KOA since it was 30 a night for a pull through. The bathrooms were pretty close to the pull through sites. It had a dog park for the pups as well. Easy on and off too.
Good to know! We do love a Cracker Barrel!
We have one stop in Ashland, VA and then we'll stay two nights at the Jacksonville/St. Mary's KOA. It'll give us all a reprieve after the long drive. The kids will have a chance to swim in the pool and we might try to find a beach near Jacksonville for the day. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

View attachment 151605

Great pic of the castle!!! Looks like you have beautiful weather this week. Have a great day!

J, glad you liked Morimoto's. I feel ya on being near the comfort station with the baby. We had that issue in 700 before. It's a bummer with a dog that wants to let you know every time something goes by. Enjoying the trip reports all. Should bring me all the way to my next one.

Kris - Definitely, though she is pretty good unless she is outside, then she has to let everyone passing know she is a 100# dog trapped in a 7# body. Thankfully not too much barking when she is inside.

Yesterday we got a nice start at the crack of 11. That is our style and its nice to not rush off first thing in the morning. I made Caren and I light breakfast long before that though. We decided on Hollywood Studios yesterday, we saw Beauty and the Beast, saw the new intro and finish on the Great Movie ride, went to the Muppets. We missed the stunt show, but will be back for that before its gone for good. Likely get Indian Jones in on that round as well. We had lunch down by Beauty and the beast, nothing amazing but not horrible either.

This morning was a nice pancake breakfast with the group. And then head off to a park.

So tonight we will be rolling out and starting our trip to Disney. We don't hit the Fort until Monday, and we will most likely drop the vehicle and trailer in overflow and head to AK. Don't expect our campsite will be ready when we arrive around 730. But we planned to hit AK then come back in the afternoon and set up our campsite. We have requested the 100 loop so we will see where we land. Hope to get to meet up with jbrostek around dinner time Monday before Caren has to leave. We will travel safe and will be posting to the TR as time allows. pirate:

Safe Travels Chris! We will be around for sure, and always back in the 4-6pm hour to walk the pups.

The campsite has been ok so far, even being next to the comfort station access it seems my 7# guard dog is being more selective in her need to bark at passers by. I would definitely switch if I where to be given it again though, the noise at 0600 (people forgetting they are walking past my bedroom) wakes the pups up early even when I want to sleep in a bit (you know like 7-8am.)

Bug however has been great at thwarting tiggerdad's squirrel spy army! No matter where we go they just cannot get close enough to report back to base thanks to her counter spy techniques. One tried to sneak up from the back of the site only to find out that she has really good radar (did you know a squirrel can jump about 5' high and about 3' forward when a fast 7# of fury with the attitude of a 100# dog comes charging full speed at you? ) I wish I could have gotten video of that.

Yesterday was a trip to AK after Bruce (one of the other families on the trip) had to go to urgent care. He had picked up a cough on the way south and after several days and OTC meds not working it was time to go. John took him there since he also needed to look into a new tire after the blow out on the way south. So Caren, Lisa (Johns Wife) and I set off around 12. We had a great time hitting a few attractions like Bugs Life, Expedition Everest and we where going to try to fit in the Safari but just did not work out. We had to be back at the campground to collect the group and head to the AMC 24 for Dinner and a movie. AK has added a few adult refreshing stations (where the FP kiosk for Everest was) and we are just a group of adults really good at finding the adult beverages along the way. Here was where we had to stop as Lisa dealt with something back at the shop and their business.

01a9a204794133612c22175f126f008746fac76c19.jpg

Lisa of course knows how to work on vacation.

016a51a191749707a78f92a44b1e6cbb186ccffc44.jpg

Though Caren did see Start Wars she was happy to join the rest of us to see it. I thought it was a well produced movie with just enough action and stuff going on mixed in with building the back story for what looks to be an interesting relaunch/expansion of the franchise.

Today we head to Epcot and mostly World Showcase, but that does not mean we will ignore the attractions. I have lots of pictures left to pull off the camera and upload plus getting some more shots since photopass is now included in the AP. It is now time to get showered and take my Aussie Brandy to the dog park for some needed fetch time.

In case there are any questions, yes they are installing WiFi in FW. Do not see a signal yet, though I did scan for it. But hey I will gladly take it!!!

01acd7e20565472026a16f90ac9db73801c5fab511.jpg

01ceae07bf20ddb5f965a751542fcf9a40a6e41fc3.jpg

Last edited:
That's a brave dog you got there. Yeah, squirrels can be hilarious when they get to bounding around. My Jack Russell was the same way in her younger years. Now she just lays and watches them.

Sounds like your trip is going pretty good so far, liking the pictures. Your friend come out okay at the clinic?

11755174_10207319448008713_5981321425221613866_n.jpg jbrostek- one of your pictures looks like a runner attending the 10K- check this out-

Thank you Randy for your great pictures, sharing your fun with us that can't be at the Fort. We were there last month & seems like years ago! & congratulation on finding Ed's name. Now a challenge for all of us. Glad you make it home safely.

One more day and we will be headed HOME to the Fort. Trip down was a good one, traffic sometimes crazy but overall not bad. Will pack up and be ready to roll out early tomorrow morning, westbound and down. :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter