February 2015 - Our Son's First Visit

For what it's worth, my son had uh... Maybe 2 words at that age. Maybe. He had like 10 words at almost two and then right at 2, it clicked and he could talk in like sentences. He was/is 6 months behind in speech since like 6 months old, haha! I worried a lot about it at the time. He took forever to wave and I made myself nuts about it! He is totally fine now... It still has issues pronouncing words, like 6 months behind.

My daughter had like 5 words at 10 months. I was super happy we wouldn't have similar issues. Then at 22 months, the same 5 words! Right at 2, it clicked and she was totally talking.

I'm not too worried at this point since he seems to understand most of the things I say. But he never even tries to repeat anything at all. And it's sometimes sad that he still doesn't say "mama" to me. :(

He's hit physical milestones on the later end. Some probably due to his torticollis (he was in PT from 2 months old to about 6 or 7 months old.) He didn't walk until recently. He didn't start clapping until after he was a year old. He still doesn't wave.

I feel bad for him because he just can't easily communicate what he wants. So it's a lot of screaming and stuff (not fun for me...ha!)

FIVE DAYS!!! AHHH! I am kind of freaking out. Haha!

I don't think I'll be able to relax until we see how my son sleeps at the hotel.

Normally the second we touch down in Santa Ana, I am relaxed and super excited (I hate flying.) But this time I think I'll continue to be slightly stressed until I know whether or not he'll sleep okay in a new environment.

I keep checking the forecast for my city and Anaheim.

There was snow in our forecast for the morning we leave but it's gone now. I hope it stays that way.

Our first 2 park days are in the upper 70's. But then Sunday it's 85. That's too warm for me but I'll deal. It's certainly not the hottest weather I've visited Disneyland in. (Now, if it was 85 at Disney World...that's way worse.)

So far, no rain in the forecast so I may leave my raincoat here to save some space in the suitcase. And if it does rain, I'll just get a poncho. I am trying to save space where ever I can!

85 is so hard! I know if we wear shorts we will be cold in the morning and pants we will be hot midday!

85 is so hard! I know if we wear shorts we will be cold in the morning and pants we will be hot midday!

My legs don't really get that cold unless it's closer to maybe 60 degrees. I just bring a sweatshirt for my arms. If I do end up getting cold, our hotel is so close I can always run back to change. I suspect more of the day will be hot than cold on those 85+ days.

For my son, we'll probably put him in pants in the morning and change him into shorts in the park when it gets warm. He's easy to change since we'll be changing his diaper anyway.

We are home!! I am writing a trip report and I wrote up the first day already. But I haven't had a chance to go through photos yet. Once I do, I'll start posting them. The first day is kind of long and boring, especially with no photos thrown in but I think I'll post it anyway.

DAY ONE - Tuesday, February 3rd

G (my husband) and I woke up at 5:30 and did our last minute packing and getting ready. We woke Henry up around 6:30 to give him a bottle. We got out of the house around 7:15, which was only 15 minutes later than we had planned. In hindsight, we probably should have left much earlier.

We got to the airport around 7:45am. I ran in and got a luggage cart. G loaded it up with our two bags to check, our wheeled carry-on, and our cheap car seat. Henry was put into his stroller and we went into the airport. G then had to take the car to the parking lot and catch a shuttle back. This took WAY longer than usual. So Henry and I just had to hang out in the airport.

003.jpg

Once he finally came back, we checked our bags and went towards security. It was a fairly long line for the Omaha airport. We didn't get to our gate until just after 8:30. We got a gate check tag for our stroller bag. Then there was just enough time to get Henry's diaper changed and whatnot before we boarded at 8:50.

The flight to Las Vegas was about 3 hours long. Henry was content to sit in his seat and play/look at books for the first half.

004.jpg

Then he started to get cranky and we figured he was tired. G held him for a bit then he reached for me (in the aisle seat) so I held him. Out of nowhere...he starts vomiting all over me, himself, the seat, the aisle. Other than spit-up when he was a baby, he hasn't thrown up before. (His spit up as a baby was huge, insane amounts...not just tiny amounts...but it was formula so it was just different.) I stopped the flight attendant in the aisle. She brought me back a couple trash bags and a bunch of paper towels. Thankfully the vomit didn't get on anyone else around us (though it did get close!) I was so flustered and embarrassed.

I had brought an extra shirt for myself but not pants so I went to the bathroom to change my shirt and use water/paper towels to clean up my jeans. We couldn't find Henry's extra pants (found out later they had been moved into a checked bag by accident.) So Henry had a fresh shirt but had to stay in his vomit pants, just like me. The rest of the flight, Henry seemed okay and happy...so that was good. A little later on, I had a tap on my shoulder. It was an older gentleman in a cowboy hat. He said, "Your son is cute." It was really nice of him because I'm sure he could tell we were having a rough day. The guy next to him asked how old he was and I said 16 months. He said he has a 14 month old at home. It was just reassuring that at least a couple people on the flight felt sympathy for me rather than being annoyed.

Once we got off the plane in Vegas...I was so annoyed. The airport there is just awful and crowded and fully of gross looking people. We found a small area to eat. I gagged while trying to eat a burger from Burger King. There wasn't much Henry could eat so I got him some strawberries and a muffin. I also got him some sliced turkey but he wasn't interested. After a disgusting lunch, we went toward our gate and then let Henry run around a bit. G was on baby chasing duty.

Eventually, it was time to board for our flight to Santa Ana. Thankfully this flight was short...only about an hour long. Henry did well on this flight. Hooray!

006.jpg

We landed, changed Henry's diaper and went to the baggage claim. Our bags were already there. Woohoo! G went to get the rental car. I just rolled Henry around in his stroller. I also talked to my mom on the phone for a bit. It took a long time for G at the rental car place because they didn't have a car big enough for us even though we had reserved one *insert Seinfeld reference here.*

Once G finally got the car, he installed Henry's crappy seat. At home, we have a decent seat for him. But for the flight and rental car we have a $40 Cosco Scenera. Eventually he got the dang thing installed and came to get us. I decided to sit in back with Henry. He fell asleep really quickly. Kind of a shame our drive wasn't very long.

010.jpg

We stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites in a Parlor Suite on the 5th floor. I was so happy we decided to stay in a larger than average room. We got "moved in" and G picked up our Pack n Play from the front desk. We ordered it on Amazon a few days earlier and had it shipped to the hotel. It was only $40 as opposed to $80 to rent a hotel crib.

Next, we walked to Denny's right next door. I had a salad and soup. Henry had macaroni and cheese, broccoli, and bananas. This was certainly not the last time Henry has mac and cheese on this trip! Ha! After eating, we went to our car and then made a trip to Target. The Target we went to was pretty crappy. I remember it being bad before, but for some reason it just seemed worse. Maybe because our Target back home isn't too bad. We bought a LOT of stuff. Food, shampoo, diapers, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't have everything I wanted so that sucked. We stopped quickly at a Neighborhood Walmart to see if they had Bibsters (disposable bibs) but they didn't. They did have some dude begging for money in the parking lot though so that's great. Once we were finally done we went back to the hotel to unload everything. (We also ordered Bibsters on amazon. They arrived on Thursday.) It was hard to find places to put everything and still keep it all out of Henry's reach. I wish there had been some higher shelves or something in our room.

After all of that stuff was finally taken care of, Henry got a bath. I also took a shower. I think G did too. We like to wash the 'airplane' off of us. Haha! Henry had a bottle and played a bit.

012.jpg

Then he finally went to sleep around 9pm. His Pack n Play was in the front room. The first time G put him down, he cried and cried. So he snuggled him some more and put him back down and he finally slept until morning. Then we went to bed around 10pm.

It was a very long day. I was happy it was over and that we were heading to Disneyland the next day!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, poor thing vomiting on the plane! I hope it was a fluke and didn't happen again during your trip.

joining in - interested to hear how things go with your son at Disneyland. We are currently planning our first trip there and will have a 15 month old with us (along with a 6 year old and almost 4 year old)

I was looking at the Desert Inn and Suites but ultimately opted to book a suite at the HoJo - thought the kids would like the pool there

Sorry about the vomit on the plane - but seems like you recovered as well as is possible.

Thanks for posting the link to the hidden gems at Disneyland ... some cool stuff and I like the different certificates you can ask for.

Nice Seinfeld reference ("anyone can take the reservation ....")

Oh my goodness, poor thing vomiting on the plane! I hope it was a fluke and didn't happen again during your trip.

Thankfully, that was the only vomit of the trip...haha!

joining in - interested to hear how things go with your son at Disneyland. We are currently planning our first trip there and will have a 15 month old with us (along with a 6 year old and almost 4 year old)

I was looking at the Desert Inn and Suites but ultimately opted to book a suite at the HoJo - thought the kids would like the pool there

Sorry about the vomit on the plane - but seems like you recovered as well as is possible.

Thanks for posting the link to the hidden gems at Disneyland ... some cool stuff and I like the different certificates you can ask for.

Nice Seinfeld reference ("anyone can take the reservation ....")

I haven't stayed at the Hojo but a lot of people here seem to love it. We didn't even end up using the pool at all during our visit. Just wasn't really time for it.

Fun! We were at Disneyland just the week before you...I finally got my trip report started :) We, however, left our baby behind. He's 15 months and we just felt that it would be a more enjoyable trip without him because then we could do the rides together without someone sitting out with him! But I know he would have enjoyed it anyway! Luckily he stayed with his cousins and aunt/uncle and we were only gone for 3 days. I can't wait until he is a bit older and we go again with everyone this time!

My husband and I have been to Disneyland just the two of us over 200 times. So we were pretty excited to finally have a child to bring along. :) This trip was really mostly about him. I started planning it pretty much the day I found out I was pregnant. We did go on all of our favorite 'adult' rides at least once though, so that was nice.

DAY TWO - Wednesday, February 4th

Henry slept fairly well. We woke up around 7am. We had breakfast in the room. We noticed our sink was leaking so we had to wait for maintenance to come fix it. Not a huge deal though. G also ran to the gas station for a couple items, including WD40 for the squeaky doors in our room...haha! We finally left for the park at about 9:15am. The park was to open at 10am. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't gotten there so early. There was a bit of a line but not bad. Henry, however, was already getting antsy in his stroller. Bad sign.

015.jpg

014.jpg

They started letting us into the park around 9:30 or so. As soon as we got in, we stopped on a bench to put Henry into shorts. When we left the hotel, it felt cooler out but once we got there...nope. Too hot. Then we went down Main Street and to the right. We had to wait for rope drop at this point. Henry was getting pretty mad so we had to rely on the pacifier to keep him somewhat quiet. At home, he only uses it during nap and at bedtime. But on this trip, we used it a lot. Oh well.

As soon as we were let past the rope, we went to Alice in Wonderland. It hadn't actually opened yet but we got into the queue anyway. Only had to wait a few minutes and then we were on. Henry wasn't too sure about the ride. He definitely looked kind of scared. But thankfully he didn't cry or freak out. But I wouldn't say he really liked it either. Next we wandered a bit and then decided to get on Casey Jr. since the line was short. Again, Henry wasn't sure what to think. He got a bit scared going through the tunnels.

018.jpg

At this point, we figured he was ready for snack. So we stopped at Riverbelle Terrace. He had a tiny, tiny cup of yogurt and some pieces of bran muffin. Then we decided to head to Big Thunder Ranch. We took him out of his stroller and he ended up running over to Jessie. He LOVED her. There weren't any people around so he got a lot of time with her.

019.jpg

At one point, he did fall and roll into a dirty wet spot on the ground. Oops. But overall, he really enjoyed meeting her. He also really liked her "handler" or whatever they are called.

021.jpg

We tried to take him in to see the goats but he just wanted to run around. We took him right out because we didn't want him to fall into the dirt/poop.

022.jpg

We went over to Toon Town next. We saw Goofy so we stopped to say hello.

024.jpg

026.jpg

We wandered into Mickey's House.

028.jpg

They only snapped two photos on our camera. This one, and then a blurry one of us looking at the camera.

029.jpg

Next up, we decided to try out Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Henry was definitely a bit scared since it was dark and moved kind of quickly. While this is one of my favorite dark rides, this was the only time we rode it this trip.

030.jpg

Lunch time! We went to Pizza Port. G went to order his and Henry's food while I got a table and whatnot. We always like to sit in the area "outside" near Space Mountain. It was mostly empty, which was nice. While I was getting it ready, I noticed Henry had fallen asleep in his stroller. So I reclined him. Then G and I ate lunch.

031.jpg

I think Henry would have slept longer...but these super bratty and loud kids were basically running around, as is totally appropriate in a restaurant. They were yelling a lot...which woke Henry. I expect noise and annoying kids at Disneyland. But I don't think inside a restaurant where people are eating is a good place to let your kids run around screaming. So he started crying a lot. I picked him up. G was picking up the lunch mess on the table. One of the bratty kids was basically leaning over into our booth. I said "Can we help you?" She just stared at us and I was so annoyed that her moron father wasn't yelling at her. Henry didn't eat any of his lunch. He was way too upset after being woken up abruptly. So we decided to head back to the hotel.

Once back, Henry didn't want to nap. He was pretty cranky though. G went down to the laundry room to wash our vomit laundry from the day before. I gave Henry some oranges and stuff to snack on since he didn't eat lunch. We decided to head over California Adventure. It looks so different from the last time we were here! Much better. But it really seemed like bizzaro-Hollywood Studios.

To be continued.....

Last edited:
Thanks! We weren't sure if he would like characters or not. As two adult, we rarely do character meets but we made sure to do a few on this trip.

The pictures of your son with the characters are just too precious. He obviously has no character fear whatsoever! Those will be treasured memories!

When he was younger, he freaked out when an animatronic-type Santa started moving at Walmart. So I was concerned about a lot of thing son this trip. He really surprised me.

Next time we go, he may be closer to 5 years old. So I'm sure it will be a whole different ball game!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter