February 2015 - Our Son's First Visit

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
***My actual trip report with photos starts half way down on page 6 of this thread.***

In 30 days, my husband, myself, and our son will be heading to Disneyland! It will be our son's first trip. He will be not quite 17 months at the time. I am 33 and my husband is 36. We've both been to Disneyland hundreds of times and WDW a handful of times. We are so excited to experience the park with our son! We will have 5-day park hoppers. We are staying at the Desert Inn and Suites in a Parlor Suite.

Here's our "itinerary" for the trip...though it's really all subject to change at the last minute. I just like to 'plan' anyway.

February 3rd, Tuesday - Our flight leaves at 9:20. It's about 3 hours long. We will have a couple hours in Vegas for a layover around lunch time. And then a 1 hour flight into SNA. We land at 1:45pm local time which would be 3:45 for us. This day scares me (which I'll go into in more detail later, I'm sure.) Once we arrive, we'll need to get our bags and our rental car. The rest of the day is kind of up in the air. We'll need to eat, check into the hotel, and go to Target for a million items. I am hoping our son is in decent spirits but who knows. If we luck out and get things done in a timely manner (which I highly doubt), we'll walk around Downtown Disney a bit in the evening. But honestly...I don't see this happening. I think we'll all be so tired that we'll just go to bed mega early.

February 4th, Wednesday - First parks day! I want it to be just the three of us. We may not make it to rope drop. It depends on how our son sleeps the night before. But we do want to get to the parks this day. We will go back to the hotel each day for his nap.

February 5th, Thursday - Parks day, again. We will be inviting my husband's mom and stepdad along with up this day.

February 6th, Friday - Hopefully we can get moving and get to Old Town Orange before lunch. We used to live near here. I'd like to walk through shops at least a little and also stop by the chapel we were married in year ago. Then we can go to lunch and then back to the hotel for nap. In the afternoon, I'd like to take our son to the beach...even if it's cold. We'll probably go to Newport since it's close and easy. We may invite my MIL along. In the evening, we may spend some time wandering Downtown Disney or maybe we'll swim at the hotel.

February 7th, Saturday - We don't have ton planned this day. We would like to try to meet up with my husband's grandpa for lunch or something. Other than that, we'll just hang out at the hotel and swim. Not sure what else. There's also this restaurant we used to eat at a lot when we lived there so we'll probably go there for dinner.

February 8th, Sunday - Parks day. We have a lunch reservation at Big Thunder BBQ. We'd like to stay for the fireworks this night but I don't see us staying until closing or anything. So funny how our park touring will have changed!

February 9th, Monday - Parks day. We may try to do an early dinner at Jazz Kitchen and maybe see if my MIL will come along.

February 10th, Tuesday - Final parks day. I want it to be just the 3 of us.

February 11th, Wednesday - Travel home. Our flight doesn't leave until around 4pm. We have a little over an hour in Vegas. Then our long flight home. We arrive a bit after 11pm local time.

So...that's the rough plan. I'm sure I'll add more to this later.

Last edited:
There are a LOT of closures during our trip. We expected some but the list is longer than we had hoped for.

Railroad - Sad to miss this.
Canoes - Don't care.
Peter Pan - Very sad. But I've made peace with it.
Splash - Don't care.
Small World - Thankfully this should open half way into our trip.
Winnie the Pooh - VERY sad. The only character my son sort of knows.
Matterhorn - Eh. I like it but since this trip is mostly about our son, not a big deal.
Hungry Bear - Not a huge deal. Though I do like burgers and sweet potato fries.
Castle - This sucks. But it's not really a big deal to us.

Soarin - Good ride but I've been on it a lot so I'm just kind of "eh" about it.
Flying Tires - Kind of wish I could have ridden this stinker of a ride once.
Redwood Creek - Was hoping our son could run around here a bit so I'm a little disappointed.
World of Color - Don't care.
Grizzly River - Good ride but I don't like getting wet.
Pacific Wharf - This will reopen a few day into our trip.
Taste Pilots Grill - Don't care. But I read that Paradise Garden Grill will be taking over their menu. THIS makes me angry. I was looking forward to trying items on the Paradise GG menu.

(Plus a few other shops and whatnot.)

I really hope this is the FINAL list. If more things pop up I may lose it. These closures aren't enough for us to reschedule. However, if more "kiddie" rides close, it's something we could consider.

27 days to go! EEK!

The next thing on our pre-trip to do list = Haircut for Henry.

It will actually be his very first haircut and I'm kind of nervous about it. I don't want his hair super short so I hope they don't butcher it! We have an appointment for him on Saturday.

Disneyland is offering ticket discounts to southern California residents....but nothing for those of us traveling from afar and spending thousands of dollars. JERKS. It's because they know they are already getting us into the parks. So they don't really care. Now they are just offering discounts to try to get more people in. So shady. But not surprising since it's a business just like everything else.

I realized we will be eating at least 10 meals on Disney property. Five lunches, five dinners. Normally, we don't necessarily eat 3 meals a day. We often eat snacks instead of lunch and whatnot. But now that we have a toddler, we'll be making sure we eat 3 meals a day (plus a couple small snacks for him.) I honestly have no idea where we'll eat each day. But for fun, I decided to comb through menus and pick out what I may like to each for 10 meals in the parks....as well as something on the menu my son would be able to eat. So here goes....

Lunch....

1. Big Thunder BBQ. We made a lunch reservation here one day.
2. Ranch del Zocalo. Me = Chicken tacos. Henry = Toddler chicken with beans, applesauce. He can also share some of my food since the toddler portion is tiny.
3. Village Haus. Me = cheese pizza. Henry = Kids' hamburger.
4. Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. Me = Field Greens salad. Henry = turkey meatball sandwich or spaghetti with turkey meatballs.
5. ??? This spot would be Paradise Garden Grill skewers but the rumor is they won't have them on the menu anymore. BOOO.

Dinner...

1. Pizza Port. Me = chicken fusilli. Possibly with a side salad. Henry = Kids' spaghetti and meatballs.
2. Rancho del Zocalo. Me = Citrus Fire Grilled chicken. Henry = Kids' chicken taco meal.
3. Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. Me = French Quarter Salad, bread pudding for dessert. Henry = Kids' mac and cheese, peas and carrots. His comes with carrot and celery sticks for an appetizer and oreos for dessert but he won't be able to eat those....so I will! Ha!
4. Flo's Cafe. Me = turkey dip or rotisserie chicken. Henry = Either a Kids' turkey or roast beef sandwich or he would just share my chicken meal.
5. Plaza Inn. Me = Fried chicken or pot roast. Henry = Kids' chicken leg.

Most of the kids meals come with raw carrots and apple slices which Henry cannot eat. If there is a better substitution like cooked vegetables we will do that. He can also share things off of our plates. And I think we may get some fruit cups at Target to bring in for him to have with meals. If we order him any sandwiches, he will basically take everything off and cut it up and then just throw the bread away.

We may have 1 breakfast in the park at either Pacific Wharf (Me = egg and bacon bowl or croissant sandwich. Henry = Hopefully they would let me just get a side of eggs and fruit) or Tomorrowland Terrace (Me = breakfast platter. Henry = Kids' french toast.) All other breakfasts will be at Denny's or Ihop near our hotel.

On our non-park days, I'm not sure where we'll have lunch and dinner. Though I need at least one meal at China Panda in Villa Park because I love their eggs rolls so much. Other than that, who knows where we'll end up each day. Probably Denny's a lot...haha.

So yeah...that's what I'm thinking for meals but really, I don't know where we'll end up each day.

Thanks for sharing your son's food menu. Big help for me:)

P.s...don't blame you for leaving February thread.

Make sure and don't miss bugs land a lot of adults don't bother with it but it is awesome for kids and usually short lines!!

Thanks for sharing your son's food menu. Big help for me:)

P.s...don't blame you for leaving February thread.

No problem. There are other kid's menu options at each place but I picked what my son would most likely be willing to eat.

Though...some days he won't eat anything. It's really hit or miss it seems.

I have a feeling the title of my trip report will be "you want macaroni again?" I like your list! My kids are decent eaters.... But given the choice will choose macaroni and cheese! I'm hoping there's not pictures of the menu!

I am glad Henry is too young to request what to eat...haha.

I don't really have any "must eat" things to suggest because I am a super picky eater. I am basically like those kids who could live on mac and cheese. I could seriously live on pasta, bread, and chicken. :)

I am most looking forward to trying Rancho del Zocalo though. I never used to be a fan of mexican food but lately I have been and the food there looks really good.

I am glad Henry is too young to request what to eat...haha.

I don't really have any "must eat" things to suggest because I am a super picky eater. I am basically like those kids who could live on mac and cheese. I could seriously live on pasta, bread, and chicken. :)

I am most looking forward to trying Rancho del Zocalo though. I never used to be a fan of mexican food but lately I have been and the food there looks really good.

We don't get to try mexican food very often at all, no where in a 100km radius to get it...Is that authentic mexican food? May have to try it

am most looking forward to trying Rancho del Zocalo though. I never used to be a fan of mexican food but lately I have been and the food there looks really good.

I'm really looking forward to trying here too. Heard great things. I looooove Mexican food :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter