Feb 2020 Thread

Quick pre-DCL trip Feb 26-27 for our family of 5 (DS 15, 11, 7). Flying in on that morning (SW opens dates on July 10). Will plan on MK on Feb 26, and hopping bw DHS and Epcot on Feb 27. Staying at Caribbean Beach for the first time. Was just at AoA for 12 days over last Thanksgiving. Just want to hit the mountains at MK, see HEA, do some SWGE (we were just there w a DLR reservation 3 weeks ago), hop to Epcot, try the new Space restaurant, ride some Future World and see the new show. Might do the FEA dessert party again...if the dates line up (best dessert party on property IMO). Then on Feb 28, it's off to Port Canaveral for the 3 night DCL.

I got my booklet in the mail today! All about my upcoming "Magical Vacation!" :smickey: And of all the food places in Epcot, which one was featured on that page? Tangierine Cafe! Home of one of my must-eat food faves, lamb shawarma platter. Oh, Mickey, you know me too well.

Decided that almost 10 years away from WDW was faaaar too long and rented points to stay at OKW from Feb 22-Mar 2 for my mom and I. In my searching (at least on the DVC side of things) I noticed so many resorts are getting booked early, earlier than usual it seems, I guess because of the marathon? :confused3 I had already figured the crowds will be a bit on the higher side at first because of Mardi Gras and whatnot (although multiple crowd calendars are showing favorable results immediately after that Princess marathon, some of the lowest of the year in fact. Maybe that'll end up being false in the longrun, but hey I'm sure it still beats Christmas at the parks, right? :thumbsup2).

PLUS the fact that my birthday is Feb 23, and seeing as I've never celebrated my birthday at Disney before, I'm kinda more than willing to put up with some crowds for that particular experience. :cake:

I got my booklet in the mail today! All about my upcoming "Magical Vacation!" :smickey: And of all the food places in Epcot, which one was featured on that page? Tangierine Cafe! Home of one of my must-eat food faves, lamb shawarma platter. Oh, Mickey, you know me too well.
There's a booklet?!? Exciting news for this newbie, lol.

Quick pre-DCL trip Feb 26-27 for our family of 5 (DS 15, 11, 7). Flying in on that morning (SW opens dates on July 10). Will plan on MK on Feb 26, and hopping bw DHS and Epcot on Feb 27. Staying at Caribbean Beach for the first time. Was just at AoA for 12 days over last Thanksgiving. Just want to hit the mountains at MK, see HEA, do some SWGE (we were just there w a DLR reservation 3 weeks ago), hop to Epcot, try the new Space restaurant, ride some Future World and see the new show. Might do the FEA dessert party again...if the dates line up (best dessert party on property IMO). Then on Feb 28, it's off to Port Canaveral for the 3 night DCL.

SW changed their dates for the next release, it's now August (not sure of the exact dates). :(

There's a booklet?!? Exciting news for this newbie, lol.

It came in a dark blue envelope with the castle on it. Tells you about the resort you're staying at, all the parks and fun things to do, and gives you your dates for making ADRs and FPs. :thumbsup2

I got the booklet for my August trip (just last week), but not for my Feb trip yet. I don't expect I'll get that one until the new year. lol

Hello!! I'm new here, we just booked 6 nights at Pop for February 1, considering of extending it for 3 more nights. I'll be traveling with my husband, 7 years old daughter and 2 years old son, my mom, dad and little brother will be coming with us, is the second time for them but the first time for us! We'll be also celebrating my daughter's and husband's birthday on the trip.

I've done soooo much research and am so excited for my ADR date coming up in early August, we have most of the reservations we want to make but some of them are for restaurants not opened yet, like the space one and Oga's cantinas. In that case would you make another random reservation for those dates or would you wait until they open reservations for those restaurants specifically??

Thank you!!

Hello!! I'm new here, we just booked 6 nights at Pop for February 1, considering of extending it for 3 more nights. I'll be traveling with my husband, 7 years old daughter and 2 years old son, my mom, dad and little brother will be coming with us, is the second time for them but the first time for us! We'll be also celebrating my daughter's and husband's birthday on the trip.

I've done soooo much research and am so excited for my ADR date coming up in early August, we have most of the reservations we want to make but some of them are for restaurants not opened yet, like the space one and Oga's cantinas. In that case would you make another random reservation for those dates or would you wait until they open reservations for those restaurants specifically??

Thank you!!
Oga's is a quick service restaurant. You won't be able to make reservations for there (although I hear that they had a 'virtual queue' at DL...so maybe that will happen). If you know that you want specific restaurants, I'd just wait for them to have availability (unless you'd be satisfied with a second choice).

Oga's is a quick service restaurant. You won't be able to make reservations for there (although I hear that they had a 'virtual queue' at DL...so maybe that will happen). If you know that you want specific restaurants, I'd just wait for them to have availability (unless you'd be satisfied with a second choice).

If it's like the Disneyland one, Oga's isn't really a. restaurant at all - the only food items are a couple of small snacky things. It's mainly drinks (alcoholic and non-).

@MagicMakerJB - There is so much good quick service (no ADRs) food at WDW, I wouldn't make ADRs just to have something, but would wait for the places you really want.

Thank you!!

To answer your question directly, first, I would fill in another restaurant until the space restaurant opens for ADR. Although this does not necessarily mean plugging in a "random ADR in it's place". Just make sure you have a place to eat, when that time comes so you don't go hungry, with hungry and/or hangry kids in the heat after long days in parks with little sleep. 😀

This is what I would do, and you may have already done some of this. Make a spreadsheet including all the restaurants you want or have at least given thought to (including quick services that don't need reservations). Also, give them each a priority rating or tier (must do, really want, would be nice, disposable). Next, I assume you already have a good idea as to what days you will be in which parks based on crowd calendars, EMH hours early closings, after hours events, etc; and you should have an idea as to which ones you can swap around if needed (which may be all of them depending on how you all are wanting to schedule your park days, rest days, hopper days, any special event days, etc).
Then, I assume you also have at least a rough idea for what times you would be planning on eating and roughly what areas of which parks you will be in at those times (i.e. in the West side of World Showcase in early afternoon on Day 3; Africa of Animal Kingdom around midday on Day 4; Fantasyland in mid-evening on Day 1 and again in mid-morning on Day 6...all just rough examples). Then, you can plug and play where and when you want to try for your reservations. I personally come up with two or three plans total. Next, when it comes to actual reservations, I always try to get multiple reservations. The system will not allow you to overlap times, but this way, I have ALL or most of my bases covered. For example, if you have your heart set on eating at a particular place (say, Ohana), I would book 2 ADRs for different days. This way, if something pops up to where you DO need to change your park schedule around (some new ride/closure/promotion/etc announcement that comes about later that affects your first day/last day/whatever), you aren't stuck with altering this must-do restaurant without a fallback option.

As it comes to the space restaurant, go back to your rough park schedule/map. What times/days would you think you might be in that area of the park and potentially ready to eat? What you DON'T want is to assume you will get a spot during that time. I would personally make sure that all of my potential meal times are plugged in. That means either by an acceptable or alternate ADR or by an acceptable or alternate quick service or a combination of snacks. This way, you're not stuck trying to scramble at the last minute - that you have a flexible plan that can work for your needs. When Space Restaurant ADRs open up, you can try to grab one and simply cancel whatever alternate/backup plan you already had.

We have always made about 2-3 ADRs for every day of our trip, and then as plans become more secure, we would cancel the backups and alternates over time. Some we would cancel right away, and others we would hold onto until right before our trip or even just before the 24 hour cancellation window....that all depends on how our kids are handling things or how tenuous or flexible certain aspects of our trip plan is (weather, cancellations, etc).

Everyone is different, and with this being your first trip, it can be maddening at times with all the planning. It sounds like you know what you want, and that's great! I always try to make sure that I put myself in the best position possible to secure and keep what we want, so that the plan doesn't go away in the early mornings of 180-day, trying to book a super popular restaurant on Day 1 with no backup plan for it later in your trip when you are mathematically more likely to secure an ADR.

PP is right about the large number of quality quick service places, so that's why I always consider those, too. Now, if you are using the dining plan, with keeping track of your credits, that throws a whole other level into it, but if your party is ok with splitting up some QS meals (some from one place and others from another nearby or something) that's fine, too. Just all depends on your preferences and the flexibility/rigidity in your schedule. Florida can be fickle with weather, and weather can mess with some aspects of plans more than others. So, I tend to always try to build in as much flexibility as possible.

Good luck!

Anyone else impatiently waiting for the park hours to come out?? We book our ADRs August 7th and I'm all ready -- I just need to plug in which parks on which days!

My ADR List -- 8 Nights / 8 TS Credits -- If anyone else wants to share theirs, feel free!

Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic! Breakfast & 50s Prime Time Dinner (OOP)
Ohana Dinner
Garden Grill Breakfast
Akershus Breakfast & 1900 Park Fare Dinner
Tusker House ROL Breakfast
Homecoming Dinner (OOP)
Crystal Palace Breakfast & Be Our Guest Lunch (QS)
Storybook Dining Dinner

I normally don't have so many character meals but it's my youngest daughter's birthday and she's all about the characters! :lovestruc

Just booked ASMo today Feb24-Mar5 and I´m sooo excited!!! It´s my third trip, but every trip seems like a new one.
Going with DW, mommy and my aunt, the last two trips were pretty short, so it´s my first time visiting AK and it´s my aunt´s first time visiting both AK and Epcot, so... have I mentioned I´m super excited? LOL :hyper::dancer:

I am tossing around a quick short trip around Valentines Day even tho I know my husband has no interest in coming. MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE I can convince him. We'll see. Either way, I am thinking hard on it.

I am tossing around a quick short trip around Valentines Day even tho I know my husband has no interest in coming. MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE I can convince him. We'll see. Either way, I am thinking hard on it.

My BF and I are going the 12th. You can hang with us!!

Any chance we’ll have park hours before we book dining? Our dining day is August 5th. I’ve never booked more than 6 months in advance so it’s never been an issue!

Any chance we’ll have park hours before we book dining? Our dining day is August 5th. I’ve never booked more than 6 months in advance so it’s never been an issue!

The park hours should be released any day now! I keep checking but nothing yet. I usually use Kenny the Pirate's website & he's pretty quick to put them up once they become available.

Our ADR day is August 7th!

The wife and I are thinking about a February trip and staying at a resort on the Skyliner route. Our past 2 visits have been pre-Christmas in 2017 and 2015 (nope, scratch that, it was 2016 and 2014 --- definitely overdue for a visit!) and we've never visited at this time of year before. I have to think that crowds will be much smaller than what we've encountered around mid-December, right? I also don't think Galaxy's Edge will be that crazy by February, just look at how it's been this summer at Disneyland. Also, since when is Mardi Gras a big deal at Disney? Being from Houston and near New Orleans, it's a big deal around here but I wouldn't think it's even a blip on Disney's radar? It's not like it's an actual holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter