Fear: Child trying to climb out of rides

Here for Moana

Earning My Ears
I don't know if I'm the only one who has this fear but I'm afraid on rides like Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean that my toddler is going to try to climb out mid-ride. Did anyone else have this fear? Has anyone experienced their kid trying to climb out and if so how did you handle it?

Background: We have taken our 22 mo old to some local carnivals this year to see how she does with rides and while she loves them, during the tea-cups she got bored said 'all done' and was trying to climb out while the ride was still moving. We are going to Disney in November and I'm now worried about containing her during some of the longer rides that don't require seatbelts.

Never even crossed my mind...but, my kids were never really climbers. The rides at WDW have so much to see, they are usually too preoccupied with the experience to even think about climbing out.

I almost always had an arm around my then-2.5 yo when we were at Disneyland. It's not like a 22 mo would be allowed to be on any ride without a parent right next to him, so unless your arms are busy holding a baby you can just keep an arm around the 22 mo just in case.

I was afraid with both my boys, and kept a firm arm around each of them at that age. And definitely had an adult on each side of him if we could. I was the most afraid on Peter Pan, and once one of the boys rode with my husband, without me. I was in the ship behind them, and was a nervous wreck the whole time that he would tumble out (my husband is much less anxious about this than I am, and therefore in my opinion much less careful). Spoiler alert: he didn’t fall out. They’re 4 and 6 now, and I still worry a little.

My 2 yo is a climber like you would not believe. He did not make any attempts at climbing out of any rides while we were there in August, I think he was too interested in what was going on around him but we did also always have an arm/ hand on him just the same. We rode Living with the Land, Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, Killimanjaro Safari, TSM, Buzz Lightyear, and more. He was seated with at least 1 adult on the smaller rides, and between 2 adults on the rides with more seating (Small World, Land, Jungle Cruise etc.).

I don't know if I'm the only one who has this fear but I'm afraid on rides like Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean that my toddler is going to try to climb out mid-ride. Did anyone else have this fear? Has anyone experienced their kid trying to climb out and if so how did you handle it?

No. It's not really all that hard to keep a toddler from climbing out of a ride. If they try to climb out, I don't let them.

I was in the ship behind them, and was a nervous wreck the whole time that he would tumble out (my husband is much less anxious about this than I am, and therefore in my opinion much less careful). Spoiler alert: he didn’t fall out. They’re 4 and 6 now, and I still worry a little.

This is what I am worried about. My husband doesn't seem to think it is a big deal. Luckily though we only have our daughter so I guess I can always make sure I am seated with her to alleviate my fear.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has worried about this, my husband seems to think it is sort of an irrational fear. And glad to hear that even children that are climbers are too distracted to climb out.

This is precisely why Disney instructs that children be seated on the inside of rides like these. Being bracketed by adults would prevent any escape attempts
Unless you are in the front or back row:rotfl2:
OP - Just put your arm around her, and even if she did try, you and your DH should have no issues stopping her. Plus, based on your post, I'm sure you will not even watch the ride and will be totally focused on her. To think about these things is rational, but to be afraid of going on the rides because of it? Well, I am with your DH on that one.

I held my daughter on the float style rides (like Small World, Pirates, Frozen) so she could see better. She was a climber at that age but was really content being held and looking around.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has worried about this, my husband seems to think it is sort of an irrational fear. And glad to hear that even children that are climbers are too distracted to climb out.

My 21 month old tried to claw her way out of dumbo...that was the only ride she tried to escape though.

You are not alone in this! As a Mommy of a 2 year old who is a runner and a climber, this is always on my mind with him. He bolts at the drop of a hat, and has communication delays, so he does not quite comprehend that there are times that he has to sit still. It's a challenge on every trip. It's been a few months since I have visited with him, but we plan to start with the shorter rides first, and see how he does. Until I can trust him for the shorter attractions, I won't try anything longer like Small World, Pirates, etc. Yes, it's easy for us to just grab him and make him stay in the ride vehicle, but if he doesn't want to be held down, he will scream and ruin the ride for everyone, which I definitely don't want to do, if it can be helped of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!