favorites of 8 yo's

haddockck

Earning My Ears
Hi. We are taking our 8 yo son to WDW at the end of May/beginning of June. I was wondering what other 8 yo's report as their favorite rides/activities. Mine is not the best swimmer, so we were thinking Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach. Is my read on this right? I also know he'll love "Honey I Shrunk the Audience". In the books, though, they typically seem to divide the ages into below and above 8, so that leaves me a bit confused as to where he'll stand. Speaking of standing, he should be tall enough for everything. Any advice?

I would say Buzz Lightyear would be a must . Plus anything dinosaur related. I am not sure about the height question . I do know that for some rides they must be 48' in height.

Ok, I have my DD9 right here (who last year wimped on some rides, but the year before, rode everything except Space Mtn, ToT & Rocking Rollercoaster) and she says (we may have the names slightly wrong, but I think you'll understand):

Thunder Mtn.
Splash Mtn.
Tiki Birds (maybe not for a boy, but they are funny!)
Buzz
Pirates
Aladdin
Haunted Mansion (highly recommended!)
Tarzan Rocks
Bugs Life
Star Wars

We did Typhoon Lagoon & LOVED it. Best day we had on that trip. Just be sure to wear flip flops or water shoes bc the ground gets hot.

DD also recommends the Lego area at DTD. They have a lot of Bionicle stuff which I guess is popular with the 8 yo boys? Also, the Lego "Sculptures" are really impressive.

Have fun!

I agree Legoland at MKTPL is a MUST if you have a young boy with you!!! :)
HISTA Jon likes it,Erich doesn't so you'll have to judge that one.Try Muppets 4-D at MGM first and see how he does.

Let's see my 9 and 10 yr old boys like:
MGM FAVES

Rock N Roll
ToT
Star Tours...2 thumbs WAAAY UP on the top 3!
Indiana Jones Stunt Show...look for the well outside pull and listen!
They really like the Backstage Tour too.
Muppet 4 D show
Animation Tour...Erich loves to draw so this is a biggie with him.

EPCOT

Universe of Energy
Test Track
LivingSea...the manatee
Journey into Imagination...play area
Norway...Viking ship play area
Maze in G.B. and they like the band that plays there,the British Invasion.

My boys enjoy visiting all the WS pavillions.They like to collect Smashed Pennies and doing Kidcot stations here.

MK

All the mountains...be sure to do them in the day and night.
Buzz
Teacups
HM
PoC
Jungle Cruise

AK

Safari
Dinoland...eveything especially the dig site!

There's more but I can't think right now!

The year my DS was eight he liked EVERYTHING almost. He was tall enough and brave enough to go all the thrill rides, but still enjoyed all the smaller rides too. His all round favorites are Test Track, the safari ride, space mountain, Thunder mountian, Rock & Roller coaster and Buzz lightyear. He also loved the 3-d shows, indiana jones and fantasmic. He did not like the WS movies, It's a small world or the tea cups. They made hime feel sick. The only things he did not do was Alien Encounter because I would not let him, and body wars because we ran out of time. His favorite places to eat were Donalds' at AK, the coral reef at Epcot and lunch at Cindy's. He enjoyed all the character meals that year but has since shown less interest in them. We have never done a water park as we go in Winter but are going early December this year and he wants to do BB. If you go off season only one will be open so that will dictate which one you will go to. He did swim in the pool and beged for more time there. He can swim at home and mean mom limited his time in the cold January water but that was one of his favorite things too. Eight is such a fun age!!!Have a blast.

Jordan's mom

My DS8's favorite would be It's Tough to be a Bug, Test Track, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter, Aladdin (not Dumbo, though, I think it was the camel he was amuzed by), Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungel Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain. He's not really into the big roller coasters --- yet!!

Thank-you so much. DS is a huge dinosaur fan. I'm glad to see that other kids enjoyed it since I've seen, somewhere, that some folks thought it a bit lame. I'll be sure we cover all the recommended sites and we'll bring the water shoes!! You all are great. Thanks for such prompt replies. About 40 days to go!

haddockck,

Just a warning about dinosaur. While I disagree that it is lame, it certainly is not tame either. My DS was fine and in fact loved it at that age, but many children are scared by it as are some adults. It is quite rough also. If you think this might be a issue with your son, you might want to check it out first.

Jordan's mom

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norway...Viking ship play area

What's this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a replica of a Viking ship...if you're coming from Mexico it's the first thing you come upon in Norway...it's sort of set back off the walk way...matter of fact it's right by the restrooms.The ship has ropes and things for the kids to play on and a teeter-totter.My boys love it,it's a good place to blow off steam! There's benches around so parents can take a rest if they need it.

My son's favorites....

Character greetings, 'Ohana restaurant, Teppanyaki restaurant, riding the monorail, swimming in the resort pool (WL is favorite), Rainforest Cafe

MK:Splash Mountain, BTMMR, Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan

Epcot:Japan in Epcot, Living Seas, Illuminations

MGM:Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Star Tours, Little Mermaid Show, Animation Tour, Fantasmic!

AK:Safari, Primeval Whirl, Kali River Rapids, Lion King Show

Hi haddockck.

I was wondering what other 8 yo's report as their favorite rides/activities.

My son is now 9, but we were at WDW two times when he was 8. Most posters have covered the rides, so I'll mention some activities my son enjoyed.

Every afternoon at The Land in Epcot is an ice-cream social. Several of the characters are there too. It wasn't crowded the day we went. My little guy and I started playing a game of tic-tac-toe while waiting for our ice-cream sundaes. Mickey stopped over to meet-and-greet. He played a game of tic-tac-toe with my son. Then Mickey challenged Pluto. Mickey and Pluto kept ignoring Goofy, who was trying to get them - silently, of course - to continue their "rounds." My son was doubled over laughing. Then, Chip and/or Dale (I always confuse them) got involved. The tears started rolling down my son's face. He still talks about the tic-tac-toe games at The Land's ice-cream social...

Also, depending upon your son's interests, my "Buckaroo" makes sure I always prebook the kids-only fishing expedition. Give them a disposable camera to bring along, and they'll return with a lot of pictures of their catches (it is catch-and-release) as well as of the ones that got away...

When riding the monorail, tell a CM that you and your son would like to sit in the front with the monorail engineer. They will have you wait in a certain area and advise you of how many are before you. It may take a little while, but the view is terrific. They even have "co-pilot" cards you can take as a souvenir.

Wishing you a truly magical vacation!

Ok - This is the list straight from my 8 yr old DS

TL-The most awesome waterpark in the entire world!
Shark Reef, Wave Pool, all slides

MK-All Mountains, Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Pirates, Haunted Mansion,Buzz Lightyear, TeaCups, TomorrowLand Speedway, and SpectroMagic

AK-Breakfastosaurus, Dinosaur, Boneyard,Safari, Kali Rapids, Tarzan Rocks

EPCOT-making masks, Body Wars, Cranium Command, TestTrack, Maelstrom, Coca-Cola Cool Station

MGM-Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, Fantasmic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter