Favorite tasting baking flour?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
With cold weather & the holidays nearing my thoughts have turned to baking but the thing is every time I make something homemade there's always a weird certain something I don't like. I picked a new Vanilla The Madagascar one from McCormick its good but could still use some improvement & found that switching to Scharffen Berger chocolate also made a big difference. Still when I made pizzele the other day there's a weird aftertaste I just can't get rid of and I'm starting to think it's the flour. Whenever I read up on it people talk about consistency but they don't really discuss taste and personally I am way more interested in taste than consistency.

Any recommendations for a good tasting flour? I wouldn't mind a recommendation for an amazing vanilla or even a recipe to make a nice vanilla extract.

Pookles

Mouseketeer
I like Dakota Made flour. I've also been using King Arthur's flour and I've liked that as well. I've done a lot of baking over the past year and I guess if I've ever noticed an off taste with them I never attribute it to the flour. Although there was an odd batch of bread a while back, wish I knew what I'd used.

If you have a Home Goods near you I've had luck picking up bottles of vanilla there but my all time favorite is a Mexican vanilla. It's something we always buy when we visit, or are lucky enough to find it in a local market. We are lucky enough to live near a large metro with tons of diverse food options. My bottle was empty long ago or I'd pull the name for you. I do plan to make it myself soon, it seems simple enough.

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Aww thanks, I was eyeing the vanilla at home goods the other day but put it down because I didn't have any confidence. Next time I'll go I'll just pick it up.

I also appreciate the flour recommendation I bought some and will give that a go next time I bake

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates