Favorite Resort Bars

leebee

DIS Veteran
DD and I are thinking we might check out Trader Sam's at the Poly this summer, but I've heard it can be a PITA to actually get IN, and the drinks are pretty expensive. That got me thinking... what is your favorite resort bar, and why? Any suggestions of where we should go, in case Trader Sam's is packed (as it often is)?

We don't have a lot of experience for RESORT bars (bars, yes, resort bars no), but we love Trader Sam's. It IS hard to get in sometimes.

I don't think the drinks are any more expensive then elsewhere in Disney World.

We usually start with drinks and appetizers and keep the drinks coming.

Belle Vue Lounge at BW. It's a tiny little bar tucked away in a corner but a great bar. For a bigger experience, we like Abacadabar on the Boardwalk. Bigger bar with more staff but still with really great service. We liked the bar attached to the Wave at CR, again not huge but friendly staff. We have actually liked the pool bars at every resort we have stayed at but most of them you can't get to as they are inside the locked pool area.

While Trader Sam's is quite small (limit of about 50 people), you can always chose the patio bar right out side of Trader Sam's. Same drinks and bar food.

Dave

Crew'Cup is very nice but also small. We stop in there before dinner at YSH . We enjoy the lounges & pool bars at POFQ and POR but we stay at POFQ . The bars at DS may be a good option. Since most of them are operated by third parties there may be a break on prices.

Crew's Cup (YC)
Wave Lounge (Contemporary)
Territory Lounge (WL)
Abracadabar (BW)
Bluezoo Lounge (Dolphin)

I like the lounge at AKL - its small but pretty and the lodge itself is wonderful at night. We did some animal viewing with night vision goggles and listed to a story at the fire pit as well.

Love Trader Sams! - inside is fun but we also like the outside area and if its near time for fireworks from MK - they lower the lights and pipe in the music.

Kimonos at the Swan has karaoke but we haven't been able to get over there yet.

1.) Mizner's - Love the live music and ambiance
2.) Trader Sam's - yes, a pita as op states, but so worth it
3.) CG Lounge - that view. . .

Still, some of the best aren't even at the resorts, IMO.

-Nomad Lounge
-Raglan Road
-The Edison

The Belle Vue at the Boardwalk Inn & Victoria Falls Lounge at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Crew's Cup at Yacht Club is really good too.

I've also heard that Geyser Point Bar & Grill at the Wilderness Lodge is very nice. We haven't been there yet.

Geyser Point is awesome with great drinks and beautiful views! Also love Territory Lounge if the weather isn't good for sitting outside. Nomad Lounge in AK is fun and besides good drinks, the apps are delicious. And at Tambu Lounge over at the Poly (if Trader Sam's is full and you don't feel like sitting outside) you can drink from a pineapple and get the best nachos ever, pulled pork nachos :cloud9:

We had a good time at Mizner's at Grand Floridian. Band was playing, nice bartenders, a good amount of people. Fun!

Victoria Falls at Animal Kingdom is really nice looking, we like that one too.

I can't recommend Tambu Lounge at Poly - we stayed there and no matter what time of day it was, the bartenders took FOREVER to get a drink order, even when barely anyone there. Bad. And then in evening there was nowhere to sit, filled with people waiting for Ohana.

Trader Sam's is a ton of fun if you like the whole Tiki vibe. I think the drinks are expensive but they are also potent.;) There is interaction with the servers and with other patrons to some extent. I agree with @Farro about the Tambu lounge, pretty slammed with people waiting to get into 'Ohana. It might be worth it though, the Lapu Lapu is a treat:) The lounge at AKL is nice--the Dawa (?) I believe. The Outer Rim at CR is fun, it's one of the original lounges on property. Don't forget the pool bars at the resorts! Even if you're not swimming it's fun to chill by the pool. It might be my imagination, but the bartenders appreciate some friendly banter (when it's not too busy) and a gratuity. They might accidentally pour a little extra.:sunny:

Trader Sam's is a ton of fun if you like the whole Tiki vibe. I think the drinks are expensive but they are also potent.;) There is interaction with the servers and with other patrons to some extent. I agree with @Farro about the Tambu lounge, pretty slammed with people waiting to get into 'Ohana. It might be worth it though, the Lapu Lapu is a treat:) The lounge at AKL is nice--the Dawa (?) I believe. The Outer Rim at CR is fun, it's one of the original lounges on property. Don't forget the pool bars at the resorts! Even if you're not swimming it's fun to chill by the pool. It might be my imagination, but the bartenders appreciate some friendly banter (when it's not too busy) and a gratuity. They might accidentally pour a little extra.:sunny:

Hey, Micca, thanks for the reminder about the pool bars! DH and I did 2 nights at AKV last summer for my birthday. We didn't have park tickets, pretty much hung out at the pool bar, did the culinary tour, had birthday dinner at CaliGrill. It was a terrific day, and the bartenders were good company! HERE'S a surprise: DD24 and I are supposed to be staying at ASMu for 6 nights in late August. DH just suggested I make it a surprise b-day trip for DD (she'll be 25 in August) and book at AKL. I got a good rate, hotel and park tickets for what we are paying for hotel, tickets, and QSDP at ASMu. I can pay for our food OOP/with visa rewards, so it looks like we are staying at AKL! DEFINITELY will do the pool bar!!

Geyser Point is awesome with great drinks and beautiful views! Also love Territory Lounge if the weather isn't good for sitting outside. Nomad Lounge in AK is fun and besides good drinks, the apps are delicious. And at Tambu Lounge over at the Poly (if Trader Sam's is full and you don't feel like sitting outside) you can drink from a pineapple and get the best nachos ever, pulled pork nachos :cloud9:
My dh and I ate at Tambu Lounge last trip and I think it was one of our best meals. Maybe it had something to do with the kids not being with us... :rotfl2:. You can get O'hana's bread pudding in the lounge too. :thumbsup2

I can't recommend Tambu Lounge at Poly - we stayed there and no matter what time of day it was, the bartenders took FOREVER to get a drink order, even when barely anyone there. Bad. And then in evening there was nowhere to sit, filled with people waiting for Ohana.

That's exactly how I feel about Tambu. It's not cozy, and it feels like it's shoved in that corner just to appease people waiting for Ohana. It feels like an afterthought and not a well-planned space. We waited there for Ohana to open last year and my husband said it felt like it was either a temporary space, or like it was meant to be part of Ohana but then they decided they could make more money as a "lounge." I also feel like the entrance to Ohana feels kind of disjointed and temporary, and it would make more sense to make a better-defined entrance using Tambu's space.

We recently discovered the Wave Bar at the Contemporary. We were actually escaping an incredibly crowded MK day and kind of stumbled upon it by accident. We like the atmosphere at Victoria Falls at AKL but it is the ONLY bar in all of WDW where EVERYTIME I order a drink I question whether they actually put any alcohol in it. Every. Single. Time. I am just sticking with wine there from now on. BC and YC both have small lounges. They serve their purpose and we frequent them when we stay at BC but they can get incredibly crowded and don't have the best atmosphere.

Trader Sam's is totally worth it. I would happily line up an hour in advance of opening to ensure a seat - and that's saying a lot because we will rarely wait more than about 30 minutes for any ride at WDW.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter