favorite non Disney hotels

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
Where do y'all love to stay at when you're not visiting the Mouse?

Here's my list:

La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe. We stayed there during Spring Break a week ago and loved it. The hotel was right on the plaza, which is where you want to be, and was gorgeous. All of the rooms have unique furniture and the hotel is full of original art. The collection is so good the hotel offers a free art tour. The hotel also offers a scavenger hunt for kids. My sons did it one morning when the weather was lousy and had fun exploring the hotel. The hotel food is delicious as well.

Argonaut Hotel in San Francisco. The nautical theming is fun and sophisticated and the location is excellent. It's within close walking distance of the trolley line, cable car turnaround, and Fisherman's Wharf.

Embassy Suites chain. Each room is a suite which is great when traveling with kids. I love not having to share a room with my kids. The included breakfast is one of the best included breakfasts I've seen. There's a made to order omelet bar and tons of other choices. Whenever we stay there we either skip lunch or each a snack instead of lunch. I especially love the Alexandria, VA and Austin Town Lake locations. The Alexandria one is across the street from a subway stop you can take to DC and a trolley you can take down to Old Town Alexandria. We like to go into Dc for the day and explore Old Town during dinner time. The Austin location is within walking distance of the bridge where the bats live. It's also within a short driving distance of more of the places you'd want to visit in Austin.

We've only visited each of these once and likely won't be back, but our favorites have been charming (sometimes quirky) little boutique places:
Paris - The Hotel Original (in Bastille)
San Juan - At Windchimes
San Diego - The Lakehouse (Lake San Marcos Resort)

Hyatt in Huntingdon Beach CA . Two great pools, across the street from the beach and a 15 minute walk to Main St restaurants.

Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado CA . Right on the beach and good restaurants within walking distance . Plus decent access to San Diego

Icona Inn Avalon, NJ. Another right on the beach hotel though this time it's the Atlantic. Super outside bar, great location between Ocean City and Cape May, NJ. DH summered in Avalon growing up and my family has taken vacation in Ocean City so we both love the shore.

Hilton in Alexandria, VA. In the same area OP mentioned an Embassy Suites. In addition to those reasons we like Joe Theisman restaurant across the street.

These three were all on the first trip my husband and I took back east, June 2017.
Sea Meadow Inn- Brewster, MA- beautiful little inn on Cape Cod, very quiet. Staff was so great when my husband got sick the second day we were there! (ugh) We stayed a total of 4 nights there.
Marshall Slocum Inn- Newport, RI- we had a cool little room with a spiral staircase leading up to the bathroom. Walking distance to all the great shops and restaurants there.
Lenox Hotel- Boston, MA- expensive but worth it, wonderful customer service and right next to Boston Public Library.

We don't have any favorite particular resorts we stay at. Vacations not at Disney usually involve driving to various locations and staying only a night or two per place. If we stay longer than that, we are usually in a VRBO. On the road, we tend to like Hilton properties just because we know what we're getting and have a lot of points through them. I guess we have done Great Wolf Lodge a few times now, and we enjoy it for a couple of nights, but I think we're pretty much done with that at this point.

We did like Hideaway Hotel on Samara Beach, Costa Rica, and The Lost Iguana, also in Costa Rica, but it's doubtful we will be back in that area anytime soon ... just too many other places to explore.

We usually do a Marriott or Hilton brand when we travel. Love Great Wolf Lodge (only been to the Anaheim one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter