Favorite Meatloaf Recipe

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Sitting at work yesterday I decided I wanted to make meatloaf. I haven't made meatloaf in years and have never really been very successful.

What is your favorite recipe for meatloaf?

www.foodnetwork.com/.../all-american-down-home-patriotic-meatloaf- sandwich-recipe-2042554

This one, my family loves it, they actually ask for me to make it. We never asked my mom to make meatloaf when we were growing up!

I never follow a recipe...just add the same ingredients and never measure....always comes out good.

Meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork, veal)
breadcrumbs
ketchup
chopped onions or onion soup mix
Worcestershire sauce
black pepper
1 egg
splash of milk
some garlic powder

Mix all up and put in loaf pan. Spread ketchup all over the top and then sprinkle parsley on top. Cook for about an hour.

MJ

I don't follow an exact recipe either but just learned the ingredients from a restaurant I used to work for:

Ground beef and ground pork
Tomato sauce (like half a can)
Onion and bell pepper chopped very small
Bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt
Pepper

Mix and form in loaf shape.Bake. I like to form and cook on rack placed over pan. Keeps it out of fat that cooks out of the meat.

Sauce on top:
Other half of the tomato sauce
Brown sugar
Chopped onion--they used more chopped bell pepper but we prefer just onion.

Spread sauce over before baking.

I sometimes place sliced a bacon on top before the sauce especially if the meat is a lower fat content.

Just made it the other day...preheat oven at 375°...
2 lbs of hamburger
Finely chopped onions
2 eggs
Garlic powder
Salt
pepper
Crushed saltines

Mix altogether...form into meatloaf shape in a glass pyrex dish...:laughing: Top with ketchup.

I cook for at least an hour....super simple and super tasty...

This was my grandma's recipe

1lb ground beef
1 small onion diced
3 pieces of white bread
1/4 cup of milk or less
2 eggs

Sauce on top ingredients
1 1/2 cups of ketsup
1/4 cup of mustard
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Take the bread and tear it up into small pieces in a smaller bowl, and pour milk over it and let it soak. Add bread mixture to the eggs, add meat and onions. Mix together with your hands.

To make the sauce add all the ingredients together until brown sugar has dissolved.

Take a Pyrex dish spray with Pam. Take meat mixture and shape into pan. Bake at 350 for 40 min, drain and put sauce on top and bake for 10-15 min.

Sometimes I add green pepper. Love that comfort dish, as it reminds me of Sunday dinners with my grandparents. I always serve homemade mashed potatoes and sweet corn. Yummy!

...Take the bread and tear it up into small pieces in a smaller bowl, and pour milk over it and let it soak. Add bread mixture to the eggs, add meat and onions. Mix together with your hands.

To make the sauce add all the ingredients together until brown sugar has dissolved.

Take a Pyrex dish spray with Pam. Take meat mixture and shape into pan. Bake at 350 for 40 min, drain and put sauce on top and bake for 10-15 min.

Sometimes I add green pepper. Love that comfort dish, as it reminds me of Sunday dinners with my grandparents. I always serve homemade mashed potatoes and sweet corn. Yummy!
:thumbsup2 Yes, yes, YES!! No matter what other ingredients you choose, make sure you use WET BREAD instead of bread crumbs. You won't believe what a difference it makes for a tender, less dense result. (I use water instead of milk and squeeze the excess out before mixing the wet bread into the meat).

I used to make an awesome Italian Style Meatloaf that everyone loved, but I can't use that recipe anymore because I can't have that much tomato. May try it using Roasted Red Pepper sauce though...

Still on the hunt for a good one with no tomato in or on it.

I never use a recipe, either. I make it the way my mother made it - and hers was always so good! I think as a kid I didn't fully appreciate it, but we were fortunate enough to have her make it for us as adults, and it was a real treat!

Much the same ingredients that most others use, and a similar process for meatballs. Super easy.

I often use ground turkey instead of ground beef or pork. And I stick with the basics. (Turkey might be a little drier, but not much when you add the eggs, milk, and even chopped onion which adds moisture.)

Ground meat, a chopped onion, Italian bread crumbs, eggs, milk, salt and pepper. (Meatballs get lots of garlic.)

I don't put sauce or anything on the top - but always serve with cold ketchup, and likely mashed potatoes. Comfort food at it's best. (To some, plain ketchup might be boring, but I love each bite with a nice swipe of it as that is how I'm used to it. So good.) Call me a purist, I guess.

I saved the recipe above with the bacon and the tangy sauce as maybe I'll make it for a special occasion (I have the feeling my son would love it), but I think the bacon and the cup of Parmesan, although undoubtedly delicious, adds a lot of fat. I love, love, love Parmesan, but not in my meatloaf. (Or in my meatballs, really, although I love it fresh and shaved on top of my meal with sauce.) Meatloaf doesn't have to be a big production.

I like to use the McCormick's packet and use crackers instead of breadcrumbs. It has been soooo long since I have had that, sounds really good now!

I use one of two recipes.

Meatloaf meat mix (ground beef/pork); panko bread crumbs; egg; salt and pepper; worcestershire sauce; fine dice onion; smashed garlic; ketchup. Top with ketchup mixed with worcestershire sauce.

As above, but no ketchup. Use chili sauce instead. Stuff with shredded cheese (usually a smoked gouda or cheddar).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter