Favorite fireworks show?

mom2aprincenprincess

Mom to 2 prince's and 1 princess
So what fireworks shows are a must see? Obviously I plan to see the show at MK, and when we were in the world last time, 7 years ago, Fantasmic was canceled and we didn’t have another opportunity to see it. So, with that said, I’d really like to see it this time. But what other shows does everyone think is a must see??

The ones you mention (and know that Fantasmic! is much more than it's fireworks content)

and add...

Epcot- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth (scheduled to close this year)

DHS- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular

The ones you mention (and know that Fantasmic! is much more than it's fireworks content)

and add...

Epcot- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth (scheduled to close this year)

DHS- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
How do you feel about the one at AK?

Illuminations has been one of my favorites for as long as it has been around. I'm happy I'm gonna get a chance to see it one last time this February before it goes away for good.

I also used to work at Fantasmic so am a bit bias towards it. Only downside is you have to get to the theater pretty early and do a lot of waiting/sitting around. But on the bright side, it's isn't quite as hectic as the viewing for MK and (to a lesser extent) Illuminations since it's more organized.

I'm not an Illuminations fan, but being that they are getting rid of it, I would call it a must do.

I wouldn't call Fantasmic or Star Wars must do's either, but between the two, I prefer Fantasmic. Its about a 25 minute long how in a theater, so much more than fireworks as mentioned.

Happily Ever After and Star Wars are the must do's. Fantasmic is great as well as Illuminations but I'd watch the first two over them.

River of lights is something I'd watch if I didn't have to wait at all for it and if I didn't have to go out of my way. It was a one and done for us.

I like the projections on the Tree of Life at AK better than Rivers of Light, especially since the shaman (live actors) are gone from the show. I haven't seen the new projections that are film based, but I do really like the ones that are just the animals from the tree briefly coming to life. It's also nice that these play almost continuously after dark, so you don't have to worry about a specific time.

If you have kids with you, keep in mind that Fantasmic is very heavy on the villain sequences. I'm not a huge fan of it at all, but I also realize that plenty of people love it. I appreciate the message of overcoming your fears by conquering them with a good imagination. I could just do without the prolonged villain close-ups.

I really loved Wishes, but Happily Ever After is quite good too.

I like the projections on the Tree of Life at AK better than Rivers of Light, especially since the shaman (live actors) are gone from the show. I haven't seen the new projections that are film based, but I do really like the ones that are just the animals from the tree briefly coming to life. It's also nice that these play almost continuously after dark, so you don't have to worry about a specific time.

When we went in June of 2017, there was quite the line for Rivers of Light, and we lucked out by squeezing onto the very end near the back of the side towards Dinoland (benefits of traveling with only 2)! When we were at AK two weeks ago on January 2, half of the amphitheater was still empty! We had snagged it as a 4th FP+, but didn't make it to the FP+ entry in time. So we had to walk all the way to Dinoland (we had just left Festival of the Lion King and were heading to across from EE), and there was still TONS of space. I was really amazed how empty the theater was given how crowded the park was during the day. Could've been because it was the second show of the night.

I'm glad you said something about the shamans - as I was watching it, I thought for sure there had been live actors on the boats in 2017! Then I thought maybe I had just imagined it since they have projections on the sails of the boats that look like actors are there. Anyways, to answer OP's question, Rivers of Light doesn't have fireworks, but is still a beautiful light and water show. I would highly recommend checking it out, especially if you can just walk right in and don't have to wait too long for it!

But if you like fireworks, I really enjoyed the Star Wars: Galactic Spectacular, but I am a Star Wars fan! Also we were there on NYE, so that made it feel extra cool. (Don't know if they upped the fireworks for NYE like MK did, but I remember thinking it was a good show.) If you're not a Star Wars fan, YMMV.

I'm glad you said something about the shamans - as I was watching it, I thought for sure there had been live actors on the boats in 2017! Then I thought maybe I had just imagined it since they have projections on the sails of the boats that look like actors are there. Anyways, to answer OP's question, Rivers of Light doesn't have fireworks, but is still a beautiful light and water show. I would highly recommend checking it out, especially if you can just walk right in and don't have to wait too long for it!

They've only been gone a few months. :( It was fun to watch them interact with the crowd before the show started too. I agree it's still worth seeing the show if there isn't a crowd though.

Is it possible to see Star Wars and Fantasmic on the same night?
As @rteetz said, "sometimes."

If the two shows start at 30 min. or less apart, you don't want to try for both.

An hour between start-times will give you a much better shot, although if SW:AGS is first, you won't
have much time to get to the F! theater to get a choice of seating.

My picks are as follows:
1. HEA - absolutely beautiful, and MK is my favourite park.
2. Illuminations - a stunning show. I don't care much for EPCOT other than a few attractions, so I go out of my way to see this.
3. Fantasmic - the show is much better with good seating. One was to get a great spot is with the dessert package.
4. Rivers of Light - you should see this at least once. It is not as high-energy as the other shows, with a little less wow-factor.

I've never seen the Star Wars fireworks because I'm not a fan of Star Wars! I love fireworks but I've always figured the show would be tied to much to Star Wars for me to really enjoy it.

3. Fantasmic - the show is much better with good seating. One was to get a great spot is with the dessert package.
5. I've never seen the Star Wars fireworks because I'm not a fan of Star Wars! I love fireworks but I've always figured the show would be tied to much to Star Wars for me to really enjoy it.
3. Another way is to arrive early. With or without any FP or “package,” arriving 50-60 min. or more before showtime affords the best choice in seating.
5. You do not need any Star Wars knowledge (or to be a SW fan) to enjoy this overwhelmingly powerful show.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter