Favorite Disney souvenir from childhood?

Diana or Di

And always let your conscience be your guide!
I thought it would be fun (and helpful!) if we took a trip down memory lane and talked about what souvenirs we chose as kids that either the memory of or the item itself remain a favorite for you. I remember lanyard pens and Mickey ears and the like, but my favorite thing ever was a sky blue pull toy music box of It's A Small World. This was from the early to mid 80s, and I remember it clearly even though my mother loathed that song and got rid of the toy by the late 80s. It had the prettiest music box sound and I could listen to it for hours-which is probably why she tossed it. :D I've looked to replace it on eBay several times but I've only ever seen one and it was sold. I'm 35 now and I'm still on a mission to replace it.

What are yours?small world music box 1.jpg

There was a time when Sid Cahuengas (house to your left as you enter HS) actually sold merchandise. They carried vintage Disney movie posters, press release packets, lobby cards, autographed pictures of celebrities, etc. One trip in the early nineties, when I was about 12, I was obsessed with these posters. I must have spent $100 of my saved allowance on posters and the like; Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Aristocats...I can't remember them all. I saved up quite a bit more when I got home to frame them. They hung in my bedroom until I left for college. I still have the posters, though sadly the frames are now gone. I hope to someday have a "Disney cave" where I can display them again.

The only time I went to Disney as a child was Disneyland from when I was born until around 3. I was born in Cucamonga and we moved to Pasadena at some point. I don't remember any of it but I'm told we went often. Considering I'm the youngest (only girl) of 6 kids I can imagine that was loads of fun for my parents. My mom did have a charm bracelet that had a silver tinkerbell on it and my earliest memories are of being fascinated with that tinkerbell. It continues to this day and I now have the bracelet. We started going to DW when my son was just shy of 3 and I've made up lost time by going at least every other year since, he is now 36. He would say his favorite was a leather figment doll that my Mom bought and the dog ate. He is still fascinated with Figment and just last Christmas got a huge Figment stuffed toy (which I'm sure at some point his dog will eat).

Sorry to butt in as I was 18 my first trip and it was in 2003, but I was so amped to get a Mickey ear hat. I remember getting it at the Chapeau and them embroidering my name with the old machine. The other thing I didn't purchase, but a girl in our group lost her wallet on the monorail. I remember talking to guest services who told us go to go the MK monorail station and ask for a certain person. They put us in the front car with the driver to take us to the Transportation and Ticket Center and the pilot(?) captain (?) gave us this monorail licenses. I need to dig it out and laminate as those are long gone now.

@Diana or Di have you seen the packet of like 15 attraction posters? I bought a package and laminated and they are permanent decor in my classroom with laminate park maps, a colored Duffy fan, etc etc

Sorry to butt in as I was 18 my first trip and it was in 2003, but I was so amped to get a Mickey ear hat. I remember getting it at the Chapeau and them embroidering my name with the old machine. The other thing I didn't purchase, but a girl in our group lost her wallet on the monorail. I remember talking to guest services who told us go to go the MK monorail station and ask for a certain person. They put us in the front car with the driver to take us to the Transportation and Ticket Center and the pilot(?) captain (?) gave us this monorail licenses. I need to dig it out and laminate as those are long gone now.

@Diana or Di have you seen the packet of like 15 attraction posters? I bought a package and laminated and they are permanent decor in my classroom with laminate park maps, a colored Duffy fan, etc etc

Totally not butting in! And I haven't seen that, but what do you teach because that's a fantastic classroom set up! I know some would consider it sacrilege but I'm not much of a Duffy fan, though the maps are exactly up my alley. I also want to find prints of Alice, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Totally not butting in! And I haven't seen that, but what do you teach because that's a fantastic classroom set up! I know some would consider it sacrilege but I'm not much of a Duffy fan, though the maps are exactly up my alley. I also want to find prints of Alice, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

I actually teach high school kids (Ag) but the kids know I love Disney so my whole room is that. I also had the Thomas Kinkade Disney calendar for a couple years and saved the pictures, added a printed out quote from the movie and laminated them too. Use popcorn buckets for markers, pens, etc. this year our local grocery chain had Disney calendars for $1.00 and they had Frozen, Finding Dory, Princesses and Mickey so now I have all of those in different places to have those to laminate. Eureka school supply has Disney branded posters too.

I also want to find prints of Alice, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

You can actually pick up inexpensive originals off ebay. The cheaper ones are usually not from the original theater release, but from later re-releases. They are still original movie posters that hung in theater lobbies, though.

You can actually pick up inexpensive originals off ebay. The cheaper ones are usually not from the original theater release, but from later re-releases. They are still original movie posters that hung in theater lobbies, though.

Do you know, I never think of eBay for posters/prints.

From when I was a teenager in the 90s, I had this awesome belt I got outside Pirates of the Carribean. It was brown leather and woven with all colors of thread. I had it for years and wore it almost daily.
That's so fantastic! Do you have pics taken in it? You don't have to share, but what a great memory to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts