Favorite Camera bag to bring to the parks?

alexdiane

Earning My Ears
Can anyone recommend a good DSLR camera bag to bring to the parks? I usually just bring a backpack with a camera bag inside of it but the bag is wearing out and I'm looking for something to bring with me in August.

Think Tank Retrospective 10 or Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home, depending on how much I'm carrying (the Retrospective 10 fits a 70-200, so that's a very heavy bag fully loaded). The Retrospective 5 or 6 should fit in almost all rides.

How much gear do you usually carry? And precisely what gear: lens and body size matter. :)

And do you have any expectations to also carry things in addition to the camera equipment?

I prefer backpacks and have the Lowepro Fastpack BP 150. It's great because it has a lower padded section for camera gear and a separate top section for other stuff, like a light jacket. The camera section is side loading, so you can quickly store your camera when going on rides. I can carry two Sony a6000 with attached 18-105mm and Sigma 16mm lenses with enough space to carry a prime and other small accessories. There's also a larger Fastpack 250. If you like a sling bag, I also have the Lowepro Slingshot Edge 250. It's smaller and a lower profile than the Fastpack. I have the Manfrotto Advanced Camera and Laptop Backpack, but I found I kept bumping into people and decided it was too big for the parks.

Reactions: KVH

I'm here at the parks now using a Lowepro Passport Sling for probably the fifth Disney trip. It's good fit for bringing a small set of camera gear to the parks with family:
  • A zipper on one end opens up a versatile expansion space that can hold a couple ponchos, some souvenir purchases, even a small tripod or a large telephoto lens (e.g. you're going on Kilimanjaro Safaris today and want to bring your 70-200mm zoom)
  • The big pocket on the opposite end is good for a water bottle (adding a carabiner to a nearby loop helps secure it)
  • It fits in storage compartments on rides, e.g. under the seat in Soarin', and the boxes in front of you on Mission:Space.
Yeah, it looks like a little like a diaper bag, but nobody will think any less of you for walking around with a diaper bag at a Disney park.

The default padded storage compartment is fairly small. I've carried a Canon 60D DSLR with a bulky short zoom (Sigma 17-55 f/2.8), and also a small fuji mirrorless with a spare lens. This is the first trip where I've swapped out that padded compartment for an Apecase Cubeze 39, which lets me carry a little more, such as:
  • Fuji X-T2 with 18-55mm attached, plus two small lenses (35mm f/2, 12mm f/2 Rokinon), or
  • Two bodies with small lenses with caps off and lens hoods out and ready for action: X-T2 w/ 18-55mm, X-T10 with the 12mm Rokinon
The Passport Sling isn't a perfect camera bag, by any means; it's missing secure storage for larger accessories like filters. But it's the bag I frequently turn to when I expect the photography to be mixed in with the rest of life's needs, such as requiring water & food or having to accommodate the cute souvenir mug that your kid just bought. And seriously, in summer, you want everybody to have a poncho. Think about how you're going to carry it after the rain stops and it's all wet.

Whatever you do, hope you have fun!

I did some real world video reviews of bags that would suit a DSLR trip to Disney. Maybe these will help.

My personal recommendation would be the Photosport as an all-rounder that’s good for almost any situation.

Passport Sling:

Photosport (and Flipside but I wouldn’t recommend Flipside for the park):

Slingshot:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter